Cycling performance and Age.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What the biggest factor in the decline in your cycling speed as you age ?

For myself its the fact that I can't stay injury free enough to do regular training. Although this year Ive discovered the joy of dead lifts - so I am regularly riding right now - where as previous years its March/April before I start going out.

Is it lost muscle mass, ? decreased cardio performance, increased Fat/Weight ? - or other factors

Any experience/Views welcome ?

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How are you injuring yourself on a bike ? For me it's been external factors like working, but I'm correcting that with getting back to commuting. I lost about a month in November with a broken toe - no way could I get my feet into tight cycling shoes.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Who says it declines? ;)

I stopped cycling in my late 20s/early 30s - in pre-GPS times - and started again just over 10 years ago. In pre GPS days I only had the vaguest notion of my speed. For planning purposes (ie overall, not moving average) I seem to remember I'd use 10mph as it made the sums easier, and built in an hour or so of contingency. So an 80 mile day was about 8 hours, including lunch/ getting lost/ random stops and some contingency time for unpredicted delays. These days it's about the same. I plan 10 hours for a 100 miler, and normally finish in 9 or thereabouts. And in the 10 years since I started again and have more data than you can shake a stick at it's stayed pretty much a constant 20 km/h moving average +/- an allowance for terrain.

So far so good ... ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
How are you injuring yourself on a bike ? For me it's been external factors like working, but I'm correcting that with getting back to commuting. I lost about a month in November with a broken toe - no way could I get my feet into tight cycling shoes.

Hip & spine arthritis - wear and tear injuries I suppose.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Who says it declines? ;)

I stopped cycling in my late 20s/early 30s - in pre-GPS times - and started again just over 10 years ago. In pre GPS days I only had the vaguest notion of my speed. For planning purposes (ie overall, not moving average) I seem to remember I'd use 10mph as it made the sums easier, and built in a decent bit of contingency. So an 80 mile day was about 8 hours, including lunch/ getting lost/ random stops and some contingency time for unpredicted delays. These days it's about the same. I plan 10 hours for a 100 miler, and normally finish in 9 or thereabouts. And in the 10 years since I started again and have more data than you can shake a stick at it's stayed pretty much a constant 20 km/h moving average +/- an allowance for terrain.

So far so good ... ;)

Ah so you were slow even in your 20's ! :whistle:

:laugh:👅

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

For myself its the fact that I can't stay injury free enough to do regular training. Although this year Ive discovered the joy of dead lifts - so I am regularly riding right now - where as previous years its March/April before I start going out.

Is it lost muscle mass, ? decreased cardio performance, increased Fat/Weight ? - or other factors

Any experience/Views welcome ?
Depends how old you think you are. I am now 70, but feel 50 ish. still very active. got lots of rides planned for this year.
Getting the all clear from the cancer treatment took years of me.:okay:
Just got to stay positive, age is only a number.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Currently, it is not riding my bike as much as I used to.

The damage done to my lungs and/or heart by blood clots in 2012/2013 is a huge limiting factor though. Many people think that I made a full recovery but I did NOT!

I am fine to what would have been (say) 75% effort pre-illness, but then I quickly run out of breath. It isn't the feeling that one gets from being unfit. It is like trying to make an effort when suffering from a heavy cold. Not only is the oxygen not getting through, but there is the feeling that any further effort could be very damaging.

If I ignore the warning signs and keep pushing my heart can go into atrial fibrillation.

I think the best I could hope for now would be about 80% of where I was at 11 or 12 years ago and then declining from that level.

I suppose the aim is to reduce the rate and degree of decline as much as possible.

If I can carry on doing hilly rides for another 10 years without feeling the need for an ebike, that would be great.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Ah so you were slow even in your 20's ! :whistle:

:laugh:👅
Has @I like Skol hacked your account?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i read as you get older your able to percieve you max effort better so you know how much harder you can push yourself comapared to young uns , so although you might have lost some of your max fitness you can push yourself closer to your max so it counteracts some of the decline.
I might have lost some of my max power output but i am turning more into a desiel that can chug along for long periods at a higher level than i used to be able to 10-15 years ago .
The only trouble is the muscles take longer to recover from efforts so i cant push the training load like i would have done in my 20-30s and need longer recovery times, longer warm up times and most importantly i dont bounce like i used too !

Top Bottom