Cycling performance and Age.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would cite decline in muscle mass as the most obvious. Hence the switch from 28 to 32. Breathing seems ok. Also to trying to avoid long term injury to knees in particular so do not want to push too hard.

Passion is riding though fitness and health is a welcome side effect and bonus.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Can be hormonal (changes affect males as well as females)

Also, do you take Vit D, v important for bone, joint, muscle health as well as immune system

D

Deleted member 1258

From a population point of view, cycling performance as time goes by is statistically linked to how fit you were when younger. Fit youngster = fitter as you age.

Something I've noticed with the people I was riding with when I was younger, those that are still riding who were fitter and faster than me then are mostly still fitter and faster and seem to have not declined as much as I have, I'm now 70, but its a complicated picture as there are other factors at play in this.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the biggest factor in the decline in your cycling speed as you age ?

For myself its the fact that I can't stay injury free enough to do regular training. Although this year Ive discovered the joy of dead lifts - so I am regularly riding right now - where as previous years its March/April before I start going out.

Is it lost muscle mass, ? decreased cardio performance, increased Fat/Weight ? - or other factors

Any experience/Views welcome ?
Good afternoon Kingrollo.

I should start by saying that I am curious about the words 'cycling speed and injury free'.
I guess the speed that you can/cannot attain is important to you? For whatever reason, if you cannot remain injury free something is wrong.

My opinion and advice is limited without seeing the big picture of your situation. The greater the amount of detail you are willing to share, the more helpful that may be.

Based on your OP, I have this vision of you doing anything & everything that you believe is the right way to improve your ability?

Just like you are doing now, I have played about with weights since I was a teenager. The greatest risk of injury while using weights invariaby stems from 'poor form', and also not warming up adequately. Weights have never helped my cycling. The thing that has helped my cycling ability the most........is cycling.

Regarding body fat, 'calories in' need to equal 'calories out' for a person to remain the same. Adjust accordingly if necessary.

I understand that you are not cycling all year round. What are you doing to maintain your level of stamina and general fitness though the months that you are not cycling?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Good afternoon Kingrollo.

I should start by saying that I am curious about the words 'cycling speed and injury free'.
I guess the speed that you can/cannot attain is important to you? For whatever reason, if you cannot remain injury free something is wrong.

My opinion and advice is limited without seeing the big picture of your situation. The greater the amount of detail you are willing to share, the more helpful that may be.

Based on your OP, I have this vision of you doing anything & everything that you believe is the right way to improve your ability?

Just like you are doing now, I have played about with weights since I was a teenager. The greatest risk of injury while using weights invariaby stems from 'poor form', and also not warming up adequately. Weights have never helped my cycling. The thing that has helped my cycling ability the most........is cycling.

Regarding body fat, 'calories in' need to equal 'calories out' for a person to remain the same. Adjust accordingly if necessary.

I understand that you are not cycling all year round. What are you doing to maintain your level of stamina and general fitness though the months that you are not cycling?

Sure I'm 58 ....and plenty things are wrong !!!

Mainly it's my lower back - scans show bulging discs and facet joint arthritis. In recent years this has flared up more often - a few years back it flared up badly - I couldn't sleep with the pain - painkillers didn't touch it.

After much jaw bashing with GP and CCG - I got to have a round of denervation injections. Which helped massively.

I was back on my bike - but as the mileage increased over the summer months - I always seemed to get a flare over winter - leaving me starting over in Feb/march.

However a friendly PT showed me the correct form for deadlifts and I've been doing these 2 or 3 times a week - it's really helped I feel stronger than I have for around 5 years - and can hold close to 15mph on a group ride - which is good for me.

My lungs are in poor state due to childhood asthma in the 1970s - 400 on a peak flow is good for me.

I stretch/foam roll most days - and attend Pilates once a week.

First and foremost, I am sorry to hear about your health situation.

I am not medically trained, but from personal experience am aware that when a bulging disc touches the nerve it can of course result in pain.

I do like to keep some upper body tone because I feel it offers support to the spine. I still 'mess about' with weights a little. But, no silly amounts of weight, and no barbell lifting unless I am laying flat on my bench for support-I feel that is safer.

I admire your perseverance in not giving up. Please be careful with the amount of weight you are deadlifting. Obviously you do not want to risk making your situation any worse.

I'm enjoying a rejuvenation just now which is seeing me faster than 5-10 years ago at 46 and a half. I have lost a bit of sharp acceleration but over a distance I am a lot more sustainable. That rejuvenation is partly due to battling back from cancer 3 years ago but from what I have seen endurance cyclists really don't decline much until their mid to late 60s and there's a lot still doing great times in their 70s and older (Peter Horsnall is something like 93). I hope in the longer term I am similar.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I'm enjoying a rejuvenation just now which is seeing me faster than 5-10 years ago at 46 and a half. I have lost a bit of sharp acceleration but over a distance I am a lot more sustainable. That rejuvenation is partly due to battling back from cancer 3 years ago but from what I have seen endurance cyclists really don't decline much until their mid to late 60s and there's a lot still doing great times in their 70s and older (Peter Horsnall is something like 93). I hope in the longer term I am similar.

It's just luck of the draw. I'm quite pleased to still be cycling at 58 - I know of a few people who have quit due to knee / back problems or a serious illness from which they recover - but don't get back to cycling.

Sure people go on into there 70s and 80s - but that doesn't mean it's possible for everyone. Genetics can be a cruel mistress.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
First and foremost, I am sorry to hear about your health situation.

I am not medically trained, but from personal experience am aware that when a bulging disc touches the nerve it can of course result in pain.

I do like to keep some upper body tone because I feel it offers support to the spine. I still 'mess about' with weights a little. But, no silly amounts of weight, and no barbell lifting unless I am laying flat on my bench for support-I feel that is safer.

I admire your perseverance in not giving up. Please be careful with the amount of weight you are deadlifting. Obviously you do not want to risk making your situation any worse.

Thanks. Im generally a glass half empty man ! - but I don't consider my ill - I can still pretty much do what I want - sure I d like to be faster - nature of the beast I suppose.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
My health seems to be worsening by the day. As a result, am doing less and less commute cycling and no MTB at all - hence me putting one bike up for sale. I'm really having to kick myself to use the other one too, somedays :sad:

alex_cycles

Veteran
I started cycling 4 years ago at 48 and I'm still getting better.

I recently listened to the audiobook called "The Midlife Cyclist: The Road Map for the +40 Rider Who Wants to Train Hard, Ride Fast and Stay Healthy" (content is good, but the author isn't a very good reader, so I wished I'd bought the kindle version to read myself).

Some of the information in it was quite interesting. My take-away points were...

In your 50s you can expect muscle loss (sarcopenia) and bone density reduction (osteopenia) to start, but there are things you can do to reduce/slow their effects...

Sarcopenia can be reduced/slowed by doing some structured resistance training and consuming a bit more protein.
Osteopenia can be reduced/slowed by doing some impact work (running or brisk walking), taking vitamin D (as @vickster already mentioned)

If you start to get uncomfortable due to wear or chronic injury, a proper bike fit might mean you can carry on when you think you can't.

Ageing is a physiological processes. As we get older, muscle mass, lung capacity and exercise tolerance decrease. It's inevitable. Recovery from injuries takes longer. Therefore it is important to adjust the cycling habits to suit the age.
I do not want to take unnecessary risk. Accidents are more likely as reaction time increases and recovery is slower. Select a more comfortable bike with good gear ratio.
It is encouraging to see that there are seniors, over 80s doing 50K regularly.
I no longer worry about the speed. I am happy if I can get to the top of the hill and come home safely. As a pensioner, one has plenty of time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom