Cycling Problems!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
i'm going withe waterproof jacket that keeps you dry inside and out and lovely and warm.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
i'm going withe waterproof jacket that keeps you dry inside and out and lovely and warm.

Cool :smile:

There are many on the market that claim this, but none do. Most have a vent system combined with some kind of inner mesh. The idea here being to let the sweat out of the open vents. In reality I have never worn a waterproof jacket that doest get me soaked inside in my own sweat. Often they simply serve to keep one warm, rather than completly dry. So I only wear a waterproof jacket in the cold. It would be good to be able to wear a waterproof in a summer downpour as well for example.

To my mind this isnt about using exisiting materials, its about finding a new type of material altogehter...something that is pourous one way but not the other...jmho.

Im pretty sure the big manufactures would be on this if they knew how.

Dont forget ..that jacket needs to be aerodynamic, wind proof, have all the right fastenings, reflector strips, be easily packable down to a very small size, and washable, as well as C H E AP!!:laugh:

jags

Guru
all the top end jackets claim great things but they dont work,i cycled 70 miles in monsoon rain in france, i was ok while i was cycling but as soon as i stopped i nearly died with the cold,from sweat turning to ice.at least thats how i felt.
so your choice is a good one but alas it will never happen.

Born2die

I have seen some indicator gloves there not automatic though.

I would like a device that when you kick your pedals round a little too hard when you trying to get them ready to push off it stops the pedal before it mashes your shin

e-rider

crappy member
Cool :smile:

There are many on the market that claim this, but none do. Most have a vent system combined with some kind of inner mesh. The idea here being to let the sweat out of the open vents. In reality I have never worn a waterproof jacket that doest get me soaked inside in my own sweat. Often they simply serve to keep one warm, rather than completly dry. So I only wear a waterproof jacket in the cold. It would be good to be able to wear a waterproof in a summer downpour as well for example.

To my mind this isnt about using exisiting materials, its about finding a new type of material altogehter...something that is pourous one way but not the other...jmho.

Im pretty sure the big manufactures would be on this if they knew how.

Dont forget ..that jacket needs to be aerodynamic, wind proof, have all the right fastenings, reflector strips, be easily packable down to a very small size, and washable, as well as C H E AP!!:laugh:
Mr Gore invented GORE-TEX that is still the market leader at doing just that - however, the rate of flow outwards will never be 100% as good as a non-waterproof material if the material is waterproof as this would be changing the laws of physics. However, some of the top end jackets are incredibly good compared to the cheaper end of the market, but as you say, nothing is completely breathable.

OP
OP
J

JJBBangor

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Sorry about the lack of response on my part, been out enjoying the lovely British summer..

What's wrong with them?
Well a problem I've always had is that most designs take a while to fit on/off, and when you've only got one bike and you're using it for commuting/racing/leisure I personally want some sort of storage option which is easily removable, like a quick release/clip on pannier.. its just an idea anyway!

I think the waterproof jacket ideas are great, but with a product like that its hard to meet all the criteria! I'm leaning towards the indicator gloves.. its been done before, but there are some changes I would make:

http://road.cc/content/news/74361-uk-company-launches-lumin8a-indicator-gloves-video

Top Bottom