Cycling/running GPS watches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Rover

Guru
Afternoon.

Apols if this is in the wrong section.
I've been thinking about getting a GPS/computer for the bike, something like the garmin 25 to record rides onto strava. I use my phone at the moment but it's been a bit hit and miss recently plus I've started running again so I've been wondering whether a GPS watch is the way forward to use for both activities.
I've had a quick look at the garmins and they seem to do what I want. ( I think )
I don't particularly need navigation and was looking at spending around £200.

Anyone else do this or have any advice on whether it's a good idea?

Cheers in advance.

Stuart.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I;ve got a Garmin edge 200, does breadcrumb navigation - works just as well in the pocket of my running* jacket as it does on the handlebars. Cost £60 from John Lewis.

*not-very-fast jogging jacket, in reality!

I use a Suunto Ambit2 watch and I think it's a good idea, yes. I wouldn't swap it for a dedicated bike computer unless paid fairly well to do so. The 'Sport' or 'Run' versions of the current versions (Ambit3) are at about that price point, slightly below if you shop around a bit. Functionally, it does an awful lot but with an elegant interface, and satellite acquisition and signal maintenance is excellent - very reliable indeed. (Typical acquisition time is about a second, and it never seems to lose signal.)

Stephenite

Membå
Garmin have come out with a raft of great new watches over the last year. A lot of people upgrade quickly, so if you don't mind used you can grab a bargain.

I bought a used Garmin Forerunner 910XT for £100 back in december. An excellent piece of kit - thoroughly recommended. Does running, cycling and swimming. You can program and/or download run/bike workouts with intervals based upon time or distance, for eg. Uploads to Strava, plus many other sites. It doesn't do navigation though, except a 'breadcrumb' return to start feature.

If you buy a used Forerunner (FR) 220 and up, or a FR 620 and up, or FR 910XT and up, you can always get your money back by selling on.

These things ought to come with a warning though! They are going to get you fit, but you risk spending an awful lot of time looking at the computer screen when you get home. ;)

OP
OP
The Rover

The Rover

Guru
Cheers all, much appreciated. Makes sense to have something that'll cover both sports ( I'm trying to convince myself here ) and I like the look of the garmin 620. Looks like a new model is due out this month so it might be worth waiting until then to see if the price comes down.
I'm open to other ideas or brands though.

Thanks.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cheers all, much appreciated. Makes sense to have something that'll cover both sports ( I'm trying to convince myself here ) and I like the look of the garmin 620. Looks like a new model is due out this month so it might be worth waiting until then to see if the price comes down.
I'm open to other ideas or brands though.

Thanks.
There is always a new model coming out next month...

Take a look at the vivoactives as well as the forerunners.

OP
OP
The Rover

The Rover

Guru
Last question ( possibly ).
Do you need sensors on the bike when using a watch when cycling? I only ask as I've found mixed comments and I'm keen to get a FR620 bought.
I just want what strava would record.

Cheers

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Last question ( possibly ).
Do you need sensors on the bike when using a watch when cycling? I only ask as I've found mixed comments and I'm keen to get a FR620 bought.
I just want what strava would record.

Cheers
with no sensors, strava will get speed, distance, altitude and course data
with a HR strap it will get HR data
with a cadence sensor it will get cadence
with a wheel sensor it will record distance/speed when you are on a turbo trainer but will use GPS data when on the move

OP
OP
The Rover

The Rover

Guru
Thanks GG, very helpful. One consideration I forgot to mention will be using it on my spin bike but I'm sure I've seen something for that.

Cheers.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
ps you can add a footpod to a running shoe for use on a treadmill.

dunno about spin bike mind, you might be able to adapt the wheel sensor intended if cadence and distance matter to you. I just use HR on the spin bikes at the gym.

Stephenite

Membå
FR620 is a very good running specific watch. Garmin released a software update last year to include cycling. You'll need a sensor on the bike to show cadence and accurate speed. But if it'll show speed calculated from the GPS, I don't know. I would have hoped so. Buy one. Where are you thinking of buying it from, by the way? Have you seen any special offers?

Edit: didn't see GGs posts

OP
OP
The Rover

The Rover

Guru
FR620 is a very good running specific watch. Garmin released a software update last year to include cycling. You'll need a sensor on the bike to show cadence and accurate speed. But if it'll show speed calculated from the GPS, I don't know. I would have hoped so. Buy one. Where are you thinking of buying it from, by the way? Have you seen any special offers?

Edit: didn't see GGs posts

Bike inn or bike 24 have them for approx £173 and I was going to use wiggle to price match. ( I've got them to price match from these companies previously ).

Or, Black Fridays round the corner!?

Top Bottom