Cycling safety in Traffic advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
don't cycle in the gutter !

Maybe 1m from the kerb and 1.5m from parked cars. Be willing to ride right in middle of lane if there's a pinch point or on a roundabout and particularly if going round a corner or left turn. Be assertive, which isn't the same as being agressive

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Try to avoid motor traffic? But if you can't, www.cyclecraft.co.uk and http://www.bamacyclist.com/articles/QuickTurn.htm - sadly I had cause to use the emergency turn yesterday after failing to notice a car not indicate but start to "right cross" me (what is the thought process of such people? Hey, they're only a pushbike - I can throw my weight around :cursing: ).

If you've not driven lots, I think it might be useful to watch some of those traffic police camera clip shows or the more trouble-prone cycle commuters on youtube and think about how you'd avoid the madder motoring shown. Over 99% of the time it doesn't happen, but you might be less surprised when it does.

Finally, remember these are coping strategies for crap/no road designs and not The One True Way. ;)

mjr

I've been reminded that the motorist driving across my lane had been "flashed" to proceed by a motorist in the lane to my right (travelling the same direction as me). Any time you see motorists start flashing each other, beware! The flasher probably hasn't checked the road situation properly and the flashed will probably just go, regardless of whether it puts you in danger or not.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cyclecraft as above + read the Highway Code again if you've not done so or your memory needs refreshing

Don't ride up the side of queuing or slow moving traffic and never sit on the inside of a truck, bus, van at lights. If you find yourself unavoidably on the inside, make eye contact with the driver or move forwards so they can see you. Don't go on whether a vehicle is indicating a turn or not

If you want to filter do it cautiously on the right, always shoulder checking for other bikes or motorbikes or indeed cars before moving out

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've been reminded that the motorist driving across my lane had been "flashed" to proceed by a motorist in the lane to my right (travelling the same direction as me). Any time you see motorists start flashing each other, beware! The flasher probably hasn't checked the road situation properly and the flashed will probably just go, regardless of whether it puts you in danger or not.
Any time you see a motorist slow down or stop for a reason not immediately obvious, treat the situation with caution.

Other than that, don't hog the gutter, take as much room as you feel you need. If you feel the safest place is the middle of the lane then ride in the middle of the lane. If you do it for too long, drivers will let you know :smile: then it's up to you whether or no you feel more comfortable staying where you are or relinquishing some of that space to the drivers behind you.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

If you feel the safest place is the middle of the lane then ride in the middle of the lane. If you do when it was necessary, drivers will let you know :smile:
Fixed that for you :smile:

mjr

Errr no I don't think you did. If you take the centre of the lane when it's necessary, you'll find drivers accommodate you rather than letting you know.
The drivers near you must be much less horn-happy than most places I've ridden. Small roads they mostly behave, but in heavy traffic on multi lane roads, or if I take the lane through a pinch point, horns most times. Sometimes they honk just because you're bypassing their queue on a cycleway or lane. I think they get bolder when they've got other motorists for company. I wave hello in reply :laugh:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Errr no I don't think you did. If you take the centre of the lane when it's necessary, you'll find drivers accommodate you rather than letting you know.
Depends on so many things is impossible to generalise, though I for one find that taking the lane is a lot less fraught when I'm going faster

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru

Dan B

Disengaged member
If you can do wheelies with no hands on the bars you are a far better bike handler than I will ever be and should absolutely carry right on

Top Bottom