"Cycling saves me a fortune"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Cycling does save fuel, keeps cars off the road and saves a lot of hassle! (except when some pig ignorant boorish Range Rover Sport drivers don't like me filtering)

The other two major major things that I get out of cycling are (a) fitness and (b) watching the world go by! I never understand people who drive to the gym, get on a "turbo trainer" for half an hour's furious pedalling, then drive home again ...
huh.gif

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I put £20 on an Oystercard a year and a half ago. I fell over - fecking badly-laid pavements combined with me not looking where I'm going! - and sprained a wrist a couple of days ago so the bike was out of the question. I checked with TfL what my balance was because bussing it was on the horizon. £13.50. What's that, £6.50 in 18 months? Cycling may not yet be socially acceptable but it's definitely financially acceptable in my neck of the woods. My only regret is that I wasn't wearing cycling gloves when I fell - if I had I wouldn't have needed to check my Oystercard balance...

perplexed

Guru
Much more of that in the media and cycling may even start to become socially acceptable.

I know what you mean...

If I stood in a field full of sheep with my trousers round my ankles I sometimes think people would look at me and think I was less of a weirdo than when they see me climb off the bike...:biggrin:

The more expensive ones seem to have better batteries: lighter, longer lasting. Rest of the bike is just like a normal bike too, more money, better spec.

No emissions at end user stage. Power station would probably be about 30gsm CO2 compared to the 100-200gsm CO2 from shipping the oil for motor transport. Its a good trade off.

Aye £1000 isn't that much, the cheap battery powered bikes tend to use Lead Acid batteries, very heavy.

Li-po and Li-ion setups are around, but just to retro fit a bike with motor/battery (and bits) you're looking at £600+ just for the kit!

corshamjim

I managed to beat my wife in to work on a rural commute to Chippenham too. It was only afterwards Claire mentioned she had stopped off at the shop to buy a pint of milk on the way. :blush: Even so I was pleased - a fierce tailwind helped me though so I doubt I could repeat it.

Top Bottom