"Cycling saves me a fortune"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I'm sure I wasnt the only one who asked the local newspapers down in the South to do some article on specific commuter types and how they save money on fuel, and how it works for them. The Daily Echo had started a campaign called "Don't be a Fuel Fool" and its had articles on more efficient driving, LPG and car pooling. Today's turn was cycling:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8908236.Bike_helps_save_a_fortune/

I think when people see options they've never considered, and that it works, is safe and easy, they will follow.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I like the comment .... 'where's his crash helmet' LOL there's always one!!!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I started cycle commuting in Spring 2009, but only started keeping a log of my journeys from 1 Jan 2010.

Last week, I cleared £1000 train fare savings.

My total outlay in 2 bikes, gear & tools, etc was £2200.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Took me a over a year to see a saving i reckon by the time i had got all the stuff ......

Now i can justify most spending on parts by telling swmbo that i save over £25 in petrol so if i spend around £20 a month on bits etc i am still saving £80 a month and she has the car all to herself :biggrin:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Took me a over a year to see a saving i reckon by the time i had got all the stuff ......

Now i can justify most spending on parts by telling swmbo that i save over £25 in petrol so if i spend around £20 a month on bits etc i am still saving £80 a month and she has the car all to herself :biggrin:

I was getting a little disheartened in the first few months as I was buying all sorts - tools, winter gear, etc. For every pound I was saving, I seemed to spend two on gear and bits.

Now that I have pretty much everything, I'm really racking up the savings.

corshamjim

I agree - there always seems to be some gadget, tool or garment I need. I got rid of one of our two cars though (and the one we do have is a tiny one), so the savings are pretty easy to realise. Unfortunately I never seem to see all the money we used to spend on the second car. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
"are you a moron?" RE: non helmet use.

If I was a moron I wouldnt be able to give the guy the links to research. How ironic he linked the wrong message too :biggrin:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
That bike cost him nearly a grand?

The more expensive ones seem to have better batteries: lighter, longer lasting. Rest of the bike is just like a normal bike too, more money, better spec.

what about the fuel used in the power station to recharge his battery.

No emissions at end user stage. Power station would probably be about 30gsm CO2 compared to the 100-200gsm CO2 from shipping the oil for motor transport. Its a good trade off.

som3blok3

He's not a 'proper' cyclist, he's got batteries? :whistle:

"I don't get all hot and sweaty as I would on a normal bicycle".

Yeah, you just push a button (is there a button?)

jugglingphil

If electric bikes get people out of cars then they are a good thing.
As far as I can tell there are two types, 1 which assists when your peddling and another with a button / throttle.

Thought it was a pretty good article, shame the message board focus on helmets rather than the content of the article.

Top Bottom