Cycling Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclingscotland

Hello guys,
we r 2 friends who want to do a route through Scotland by bicycles, and we would to receive recommendation of routes and assistance with the planning. our route is generally:
1. Edinburgh > Aberdeen > Inverness > Glasgow

we would like to do an off-road tour mixed with low-density roads.

we would also like recommendation about sites and attractions on the way.

we would like to know about signing in the roads and routes (how they look like, if they exist, if you can upload pictures it will help)

and about the NATIONAL CYCLING NETWORK , how well is it signed if you don't have a map?

any other advice will help cause we're not natives and never been to scotland before.

thanks in advance,
Itay and Tom

Alves

You will need a map for the National Cycling network (NCN) but a large scale road map would do. You can get these quite cheaply and will help you plan where to stop and how to find your way if you get lost.
Sustrans routes on the NCN are supposed to be well signposted and can usually be followed without a map most of the time but vandalism and wear and tear leads to gaps and you may get lost especially if you are in a foreign country like Scotland ;) .
You could follow NCN route 1 to Aberdeen and then Inverness from Edinburgh and then take the Great Glen Cycleway (this is an off-road choice for MTBs) to Fort William. I'd then follow the coast to Oban and Lochgilphead. Go south to Tarbert and then Ferry to Arran and cross on another ferry to Ardrossan and then across country to Glasgow.
That would be fun and varied and avoids most busy roads except the stretch of A 82 out of Ft Wm. This can be partly avoided by using the foot passenger ferry out of Ft Wm to Camusnagaul and then down to Corran on the lovely A 861.

ACS

Legendary Member
Living in Fife I have cycled most of NCN1 in the county and I would not recommend you bring your best racing silks there are some very good sections and some that need a little TLC.

Depending on your interests NCN1 from the Bridge via Loch Leven to the village of Falkland and Falkand Place. Cafe stop near by at the Pillars of Hercules.

Then across country to the coast for award winning fish and chips at Anstruther before following the coast road via Crail (lovely harbour) to the St Andrews, home of golf, university etc. Stay with the coast road to the Tay bridge. The cafe on the Fife side of the bridge does cracking bacon rolls before passing over to the dark side.

I am sure some will be along soon with a route from the Tay Bridge north.

All the non arterial roads have little traffic and navigation in the Kingdom is better than good. We have no serious climbs apart from Falkland hill but some of the lumps we do have can test the legs I would suggest the terrain suit a triple or compact chain set. Would be happy to answer any Q’s if you wish to PM me.

OP
OP
C

cyclingscotland

Wow guys you're quick!
thanks a lot! that's all very helpful!
keep it going, you're awsome!!

Just for the record, we're planning on 2 weeks.. maybe 2 and a half for this trip ;)

hubbike

Some of the entries in my blog might help.
Also Ralph Stoer's book Scottish Hill Tracks describes the extensive network of tracks in scotland.
Also Off Road Adventures is a good resource.
I'd probably think about using Glen Tilt as a way across the Cairngorms and then maybe Glen Muick.
Lots of quiet roads between Aberdeen and Inverness.
From Inverness to fort bill follow off road Great Glen Cycleway.
Then west highland way can be cycled most of the way from fort william to glasgow with an MTB.
To keep costs down look out for Bothies to spend the night in MBA
Also I'd be tempted to take a map!!

coopman

If you are thinking of using the NCN in Scotland I would recommend the maps you can get from the Sustrans shops. I think they are good quality and includes lots of details in the tricky disjointed bits where you are most like to get lost when some muppet has pulled the sign down or turned it the wrong way. Generally the signs are very good, though, I missed one of the blue stickers on a lampost once and spent a good half hour looking for where a route was supposed to continue!
Also there is a book which covers the majority of scotland cycle network and includes other info like places to stay etc
I have done the Glasgow to Inverness Route and this was very nice bar a few sections where it runs close to A9.
Dont forget your midgie repellent!
Enjoy it.

TwoTired

Unless you've good reason, I couldnt recommend the east of Scotland other than parts of Fife - mainly pleasant farm country rather than Highland; the west coast and islands (Arran, Mull, Skye) are far more interesting.

NCN 1 (edinburgh - aberdeen - inverness) is slowgoing (I gave up on it; too many 3 sides of a square, constant reference to maps). NCN 7 south of Inverness is a lot less devious and a decent route.

The majority of offroad tracks (including the Great Glen cycleway) in Scotland are hard work (ie barely rideable) on fully loaded bicycles but if you dont mind a fair amount of pushing there's plenty of choice; The "bible" is Scottish Hill Tracks.

OP
OP
C

cyclingscotland

Thanks a lot guys! sounds awsome!!
we have another question though.. do you know about prices of whiskey distilleries tours?
we were thinking about Laphroaig, Johnnie Walker, Glenfiddich and some other, of course we'll be glad to hear recommendations about other distilleries.. thanks again!!

gavintc

Guru
Whisky this side of the water thank you. It is the Irish who produce an inferior product and as a result chose to spell it differently to ensure that you do not confuse the quality one from the Irish spirit. :blush:

I would recommend that you look out for and choose the smaller distilleries rather than the big brand names as you get a better tour and are generally treated in a less then 'punter' manner. All around Speyside, you will come across lots of them. Laphroaig comes from Islay and you would need to plan the ferry movements to support this sampling. But, if you like the Islay whiskies, you could really enjoy the trip.

Good luck with the tour - seems an excellent plan.

Top Bottom