Cycling shoes for wide feet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Hello all,

For many years I have suffered with numb feet (mainly at the outside of them). Recent huge uppage in mileage has really made this condition become a problem, so much so that my feet are now constantly tingling.

A bit of research / measurement, shows that I have wide feet (size 10 and 4 1/4" at widest point). Do any of you guys have a recommendation for wider fit shoes or what would be the best option to make my feet comfy? Money is (nearly) no object. This is really beginning to ruin my enjoyment of cycling and I really do need to cycle regularly!

Thank you,
Nick.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you ride mountain bike SPD type pedals, THIS POST may be of interest.

I have done several 100 mile rides in the shoes now and am getting on well with them. The grey colour does show any dirt so if that bothers you, pay the extra for the black ones. They are very warm in hot conditions, but should be fine for the cooler 11+ months of the year in the UK!

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Hi @ColinJ and thanks for your reply!

I did use the SPD's a long time ago but I switched to the SPDL's, or whatever they call them as i thought that a bit more surface area on the cleat might alleviate the numbness. Not sure that it has made any difference at all though!

I will take a look at the link - again, thanks very much.

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm a size 12 (48 in cycling shoes) & my feet are 4 3/4" at the widest point :blush:. Currently riding in DMT libra shoes & they are the comfiest I've ever had. Think they are now discontinued, but maybe worth trying on other DMT shoes. I also have a pair of Spesh touring shoes (spd type) & they are ok, can wear them all day with no issues.
From my experience Giro & Shimano shoes are too narrow, although I think some Shimano styles are available in wide fitting, but I've not tried them

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi @ColinJ and thanks for your reply!

I did use the SPD's a long time ago but I switvched to the SPDL's, or whatever they call them as i thought that a bit more surface area on the cleat might alleviate the numbness. Not sure that it has made any difference at all though!

I will take a look at the link - again, thanks very much.

As long as the soles of mtb shoes are as stiff as road shoes, then the surface area makes no difference what so ever.
If you haven't already try moving the cleats back towards your middle foot to see if that alleviates the problem.

Have a look at Shimano wide shoes. I have a pair and they are uber comfy.

Bont and Lake both do genuinely wide-fit shoes. Other brands offer what they call 'wide-fit' but these tend to be higher volume rather than significantly wider, and there's a big difference. Based on your relative lack of price sensitivity, I'd say get a genuine wide-fit shoe that has the features you like and then get some custom orthotics made for them by a suitably equipped bikefit lab or a podiatry clinic with experience in cycling.

NickWi

Guru
Northwave are also worth a look at. Like Soltydog I'm a size 48 and wide with it, I've got a pair of Northwave winter boots and even allowing for thicker winter socks I've never felt like my feet are being squeezed or pinched.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

I'm a size 12 (48 in cycling shoes) & my feet are 4 3/4" at the widest point :blush:. Currently riding in DMT libra shoes & they are the comfiest I've ever had. Think they are now discontinued, but maybe worth trying on other DMT shoes. I also have a pair of Spesh touring shoes (spd type) & they are ok, can wear them all day with no issues.
From my experience Giro & Shimano shoes are too narrow, although I think some Shimano styles are available in wide fitting, but I've not tried them
OK, thank you for this - very interesting and good to know that there is somebody with wider feet than me!

As long as the soles of mtb shoes are as stiff as road shoes, then the surface area makes no difference what so ever.
If you haven't already try moving the cleats back towards your middle foot to see if that alleviates the problem.

Have a look at Shimano wide shoes. I have a pair and they are uber comfy.
True, regarding sole stiffness and I will bear this in mind. Will also try adjusting the cleats and taking a look at shimano wideys. Thanks!

Bont and Lake both do genuinely wide-fit shoes. Other brands offer what they call 'wide-fit' but these tend to be higher volume rather than significantly wider, and there's a big difference. Based on your relative lack of price sensitivity, I'd say get a genuine wide-fit shoe that has the features you like and then get some custom orthotics made for them by a suitably equipped bikefit lab or a podiatry clinic with experience in cycling.
Great advice and I will look into a bikefit lab or podiatrist. I actually have a pair of the Bont Riots, not especially wide fit but the soles are heat mouldable. The blurb suggested people buy a half size smaller than their normal size as they tend to come up large. I was too impatient to wait for the stock to come back in and I bought my usual size.

Its true, they come up big but that worked out well as it gives me a little more room in the shoes! Still too narrow though, I think - hence the numbness. They are the comfiest shoes I have though.

Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Northwave are also worth a look at. Like Soltydog I'm a size 48 and wide with it, I've got a pair of Northwave winter boots and even allowing for thicker winter socks I've never felt like my feet are being squeezed or pinched.
Nice, thanks Nick!

U

User6179

Currently riding in DMT libra shoes & they are the comfiest I've ever had

I have the same shoes and they are really comfy, I have searched high and low for another pair but cant even find a second hand pair.

mangid

Guru
I suffered for years, and recently went for a Lake Wide fit MTB shoe and it was a revelation, no problems with 100+ mile rides. I used to ride some Shimano wide fit road shoes., which have I think given me a Morton's neuroma on one foot.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

OK, thank you everybody and I think I will be looking at Lakes.

Emailed them today and they got straight back to me and recommended I pop in to Bicycle Richmond for a chat with them there. I phoned them and they said maybe look at the 237's, so I will try to pop in there soon - they are about £230, which would be a worthwhile investment for me if they will stop this numbness and let me carry on riding my bike.

Will keep you all up-to-date. Thanks again, everybody!

Top Bottom