cycling shoes (problems)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,
I need some advice for a beginner friend of mine, he has just spent loads of money on a brand new roubaix with all the kit that is needed, we have been racking up the miles on turbos in my garage till we get a break in the weather and to also get him used to clipless spd sl pedals, but here is the problem;;

He has had 5 different pairs of shoes so far ranging from £80 - £180 but still can't find anything with comfort, after around 3 miles he gets severe pains on the outer blades of his feet, we have been told its due to having wide feet and a high instep.
Has anyone or anyone you know had this problem?
How was it finally resolved please

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Has he positioned the cleats properly. You need to start with the ball of the foot over the axel (this can change slightly) but that's the main starting point.

Don't wait for a 'break in the weather' - you'll never get out.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
he'd put a pair of trainers on and the pain goes

His cycle shoes and cleats aren't set up properly then, you need to look at the position of his feet on the pedals without the cleats, then adjust the cleats so his feet are in the same position when clipped in. It may be that his natural toe position is slightly "toeing outwards" when pedalling without cleats so he needs to try and emulate that natural positioning when clipped in.
Is he using spd or spd-sl shoes / cleats as this will also affect his feet when clipped in.

Last edited:
Advice about cycling shoes is usually that rigid soles are essential for efficient pedalling but I found it was the rigidity of the soles that was causing my foot discomfort (worn without cleats so nothing to do with cleat set up in my case). There are plenty non rigid trainers on the market that don't look too dissimilar to cycling shoes. I have a cheap pair of Karrimor shoes that I use with half toe clips, I don't notice any difference in efficiency and quite frankly I wouldn't care if I did because the difference in comfort is huge.

Crandoggler

I had this. Kept cycling and after a few rides the pain went. I put it down to using, or not using different muscles in my feet.

OP
OP
D

dandello

thanks for the advice so far

Maybe try this Spanish company, Luck a few people in my club have bought them and are very happy. Custom built to your feet apparently and make allowance for arch etc. Your friend will have to measure and trace his foot etc and wait a month for delivery but may sort his problem. I was going to make them my next pair of shoes but I had a accident, damaged my old ones and couldn't wait for delivery.
http://luck-bike.es/es/content/15-fitting-system

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I had aches on inner and outer bits where the toes start - better quality shoes reduced the problem but it was only cured by moving up 2 sizes (from 8 to 10 in my case).

I use S-works boa based size 10 shoes and a size 8 foot with thin socks is absolutely no problem and very comfy.

lukasran

he doesnt sound adverse to shelling out a few quid so see podiatrist, buy recommended shoes/insoles, have professional bike fit and cleat fitting and if that fails, psychiatrist. bont shoes meant to be good for wide feet by the way.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I suffered this thanks to the sustained position when I moved from mountain biking to road riding. I got my bike fit checked and that was a little out and in fact I felt that a slight change in cleat position did benefit my efficiency. I fitted Specialized BG insoles, which come in three flavours. I also messed around with the wedges that come with those insoles but nowadays I don't use them because the pain has gone away as my muscles have grown accustomed to the position.

Still use the BG insoles though as they are excellent.

Top Bottom