Cycling Shoes Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
My cycling shoes need replacing after many years of service. I use SPD and prefer ones I can walk in. I don't like laces. I think I have quite wide feet. Don't want to spend a fortune. Any suggestions?

I think it would be best to be able to try them on in a shop but don't think shops round here would carry much range. Unless anyone can also recomend a good shop in Notts / Derby area.

thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
...budget?
No laces = Velcro presumably
Foot size?

If buying online, just check they have free delivery and returns, eg Wiggle or click & collect eg Halfords or Evans

Or there’s a Decathlon in Nottingham
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-75561...oes/N-391298-cycling-sport~mountain-bike?fi=c

Last edited:
OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
Foot size 8 to 9
Velcro
Budget £50 maybe but could go more if I thought it was worth it. Think I paid more for my current ones.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
NorthWave used to have some spectacularly comfortable SPD trainer-style shoes for wide feet. BIke shoe sizing is an absolute mystery. If you buy online, make sure the retailer has free returns.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:
OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
OK as I say could pay more for the right shoe if Inhave to. Also wondering if anyone has experience with wider foot?

Advantage of Decathlon is can probably try them on.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I have wide feet and find that Diadora and North Wave shoes tend to run true to size.

Sharky

Guru
A couple of points on Velcro -
- I had one pair and the Velcro stopped gripping after a few years, but otherwise the shoes were still OK
- another pair I had with Velcro, I found that after a while, the thick Velcro strap got bedded in at the same point, making it harder to give it an extra tight grip when needed

- must prefer shoes with a rachet type fastening, that can be "micro" tightened as needed depending on the thickness of socks worn

Whatever, don't fall for cheaper WHITE shoes in the sales - you'll regret. Better to buy dark coloured at the full price.

Good Morning,

I have been using Aldi Cycling Shoes for the last few years and have had good results.

Clearly these do need waiting for and I don't remember seeing them last year, did anyone else notice them?

I have also had acceptable, but not much more than that, results from Muddy Fox (Sports Direct) clothing.

The only caveat is that I ride SPD shoes without cleats/shoe plates and use clips and straps. :-)

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom