cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
These are very nice and whats more they are made in England....lm a bit spoiled for choice

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
I can think of four reasons for using a binding system: 1. It's more secure so you won't slip off the pedal in the wet, 2. it's actually less tiring because you don't waste energy maintaining the contact, 3. when you do get tired you can engage more muscles to pull as well as push, and 4. you get the same position on the pedal every time. I find 'road' (3 bolt binding) more comfortable so use that for my race bikes - Exustar, which is compatible with Look Keo but a bit cheaper. The advantages of the SPD 2-bolt binding system are: 1. you can get shoes with a recess for the cleat so it's easier to walk when off the bike, and 2. you can get dual sided pedals with binding on one side and flat on the other, giving you the option to use the bike in either mode. I use that system on my commuting bikes or for long-distance casual touring. It's worth experimenting, and used equipment from Ebay is a good place to start before spending heavily on a particular system. Oh, and you will fall over in an embarrassing heap while learning to use them.

wonderdog

Are these "system" shoes and pedals the right look for vintage and classic bikes? I have a pair of early 80s era Detto Pietros with nailed on Anquetil cleats, toeclips and straps. Be warned that Detto sizes are REALLY small. Have a look at the attached which appear a nice style of thing for a good price ... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Classic...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 ... pic also of the style of Dettos I use

Attachments

• Detto1.jpg
    Detto1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Detto2.jpg
    Detto2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 48

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
Are these "system" shoes and pedals the right look for vintage and classic bikes? I have a pair of early 80s era Detto Pietros with nailed on Anquetil cleats, toeclips and straps. Be warned that Detto sizes are REALLY small. Have a look at the attached which appear a nice style of thing for a good price ... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Classic-Road-cycling-shoes-natural-leather-handmade-vintage-style/292030180781?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 ... pic also of the style of Dettos I use
Good point @wonderdog. It's a massive dilemma I think. Modern systems are fundamentally safer and more user-friendly than traditional toe-clips. Fortunately pedals are easily switched. I have toe-clip pedals for my 'Eroica ready' ride, but usually run it with the Exustars. Shimano M345 are fairly inoffensive - not that different to a traditional quill pedal, and A520 touring pedals are similarly sympathetic to the classic look. Enjoy the ride, whatever that means for you, maybe?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can think of four reasons for using a binding system: 1. It's more secure so you won't slip off the pedal in the wet, 2. it's actually less tiring because you don't waste energy maintaining the contact, 3. when you do get tired you can engage more muscles to pull as well as push, and 4. you get the same position on the pedal every time.
1. you won't slip off any decent flat pedals in the wet if they have a decent grip system (rubber grips or MTB pins); 2. you don't waste energy maintaining the contact as a flat pedal pushes your foot up; 3. who wants a massively inefficient extra way to pedal when tired anyway?; 4. some like that and some don't.

Oh, and you will fall over in an embarrassing heap while learning to use them.
Modern systems are fundamentally safer and more user-friendly than traditional toe-clips.
:rofl: User-friendly is debatable, but modern's only safer if you habitually overtighten the straps on traditionals.

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
1. you won't slip off any decent flat pedals in the wet if they have a decent grip system (rubber grips or MTB pins); 2. you don't waste energy maintaining the contact as a flat pedal pushes your foot up; 3. who wants a massively inefficient extra way to pedal when tired anyway?; 4. some like that and some don't.

:rofl: User-friendly is debatable, but modern's only safer if you habitually overtighten the straps on traditionals.

Not sure if you're pro or anti bindings @mjr. Maybe just anti modern ones? ^_^ I guess I'm in the wrong channel to argue :blush:, but there is no comparison in contact security between flats and bindings of any era. I also like to be able to lift the pedal when stopped at junctions without having to unclip. Like you say, some like that, some don't.

wonderdog

That's ziggaktly what I was saying - and am wearing. Even have the shoemaker's last for doing my own hammering. And speaking of getting hammered, a couple of our more forward thinking liquor outlets stock Aspell's cider from Suffolk. It must be good for me 'cos it's got apples in it.

simongt

Guru
Shoes with leather soles and plates nailed onto the shoe!

Cor - ! That takes me back - ! ^_^ Similar to the days of Blakeys in one's shoes; and leaning off the platform of a Routemaster bus for the simple pleasure of seeing the trail of sparks they caused on the road - ! :thumbsup: Mind you, my dad wasn't best pleased :cursing: when it came to frequent replacement of said Blakeys - ! :rofl:

Top Bottom