Cycling Shorts - How many miles between washes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KingstonBiker

I know I don't have as many pairs of cycling shorts as I should have considering I use my bike 6 out of 7 days. The materials used these days seem to be very good at wicking away moisture and I seem to be able to go a long distance without them well smelling :eek:. I know I should buy some more (waiting for DHB ones at Wiggle in the right size) but does a 150+ miles between washes seem excessive?

PK99

Legendary Member
I know I don't have as many pairs of cycling shorts as I should have considering I use my bike 6 out of 7 days. The materials used these days seem to be very good at wicking away moisture and I seem to be able to go a long distance without them well smelling :eek:. I know I should buy some more (waiting for DHB ones at Wiggle in the right size) but does a 150+ miles between washes seem excessive?

i wash all my kit after every ride

aberal

Guru
You are really supposed to wear cycling shorts (and other kit) only once before washing. Bacteria can get impregnated into the chamois and thus rubbed into your skin.

brockers

If it's just a shortish 1 1/2 hour ride, I might just give them a thorough rinse with water to remove the sweat, as I'm concerrned that the salts in sweat can degrade the fabric.

Silly question, but what's the best flavour of non-anionic surfactant (washing powder to you) to use on Lycra ? Is the supermarket's hand wash powder OK?

OP
OP
K

KingstonBiker

A further confession ... When I commute I wear boxers underneath. I know it's wrong but I have to change in a meeting room at work and wouldn't want to alarm my female colleagues any further.

GrasB

Veteran
For my daily commute it's a fresh pair of shorts every morning, so that's 2 rides/50-70 miles. For a weekend ride or turbo session shorts will only get worn once before getting washed.

brockers, I use a silk safe washing powder (I have a lot of silk base layers) which is about as mild as it gets.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
After every ride, don't want that chamois infecting your derriere, that could be nasty...:ohmy:

zexel

Veteran
I think it should be made compulsory to wash kit after every ride. Wearing unwashed kit is just selfish. :thumbsup:

fimm

Veteran
After every ride here too, except if I've done my long commute to work, in which case I'll wear the same pair to go home.

Top Bottom