Cycling shorts query/dilema, advice required.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I grew up cycling as a means of transport and adventure so didn't wear cycling clothing as I wasn't a 'sport' cyclist, and that was fine as I was perfectly happy and comfortable that way.
In my late teens I got into mountain biking, just as the 80s rolled around into the 90s, and MTB'ing was exploding as a pastime. I started wearing padded lycra cycling shorts because that was what 'proper' mountain bikers did (this was before the baggy shorts look started). I spent the 90s riding my MTB in padded shorts, which was ok most of the time apart from the typical northern England weather which meant many rides resulted in being soaked to the skin and dowsed in mud in equal measures. This meant that it was normal to return from a ride sat on a lumpy, saturated shorts pad that was also infused with gritty mud!! :eek: Not ideal, and when they wore out I didn't bother replacing them.
Now fast forward 20yrs, and having spent the last 10yrs cycle commuting, normally covering around 4 thousand miles a year, I consider myself to be a 'proper' & 'serious' cyclist (whatever one of those might be?) and doing a 100 mile ride is something that barely needs thinking about. I still don't wear padded shorts, just my snug M&S trunks underwear and whatever knee length or full length shorts or leggings are appropriate.
I apologise for the rather long-winded preamble, but this is all relevant and feeds into my question and predicament...

This year I am doing LEJoG with @nickyboy and two others over 11 days. This will mean riding 80-100 miles a day, every day, without a break. I'm not worried about physically being able to cope with that distance, but more that some ailment or injury related to the activity could manifest itself and lead to me having to abandon! The main concern is my undercarriage. If things start to go wrong down there it could very quickly go from discomfort to abandonment in just a couple of days :sad:

With this in mind I did a small test trip last summer where I rode 300 very hilly miles over 3 days. At the end of day 3 all was good and I was still happy to be on the bike. However, a long weekend in the sunshine is not 11 days with possible mixed weather so my question is, SHOULD I WEAR PROPER PADDED CYCLING SHORTS?

If I decide I should, then I need to try them out and confirm I am comfortable before the event so have 4 months to buy and test a suitable pair/s.

The obvious and easiest option is to hit the local Decathlon and buy a pair of the RC 500 padded shorts for £30. An alternative that often gets mentioned is the DHB brand from Wiggle. Checking out the Wiggle site gave me another idea, padded undershorts as this still gives me the freedom to wear a top layer appropriate to the activity/temperature while avoiding the lycra road warrior look that I am not so keen on. On the otherhand, there is nothing to stop me wearing proper cycle shorts under another layer so these could cover all bases?

So, what advice can the collective Cyclechat mind give me and are there any recommendations for shorts, given a budget of £25-35/pr?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hey Skol. I wear the Decathlon RC 500s. Having said that, I have no idea how I'd cope with no padding shorts. I guess the fact that 99.9% of long distance cyclists wear them probably tells you something. Having said that, the real issue is chafing and if you wear snug underwear and liberally apply sudacreme/Vaseline/whatever then you should be ok

If I were you I'd get a pair of padded shorts and see if you find them more comfortable or not

Short / utility efforts, I’ll wear whatever comes to hand. Anything requiring effort / distance, and the padded gear comes out. Saddle sores / Nobby stiles are no fun at all.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Short / utility efforts, I’ll wear whatever comes to hand. Anything requiring effort / distance, and the padded gear comes out. Saddle sores / Nobby stiles are no fun at all.
Like i said, 300 very hilly miles over 3 days without issue. I get on very well with my bike without having to resort to padding.
Perhaps I'm over thinking things and should just stick with what i know and know works?

13 rider

Guru
If your current clothing works for you now why change it . If you are to try padded shorts a cheap pair may seem a good option to try , but may not have the quality to make any great difference . A more expensive pair will have better padded but will you shell out more money to see if you like something .

Mark pallister

Order a pair from wiggle and take them with you
if you don’t use them you can return them and get a full refund
I regularly do 100 ml rides and wouldn’t leave the house without bib shorts
I wish I could do without I’d save a fortune

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's a tricky one. I always wear bib shorts and while I can jump on and ride without them I wouldn't contemplate 50/60 miles without padded shorts.

One piece of advice I received many years ago was don't go touring in brand new bib shorts. In other words break then in a bit first.

Personally I wouldn't change what I know works and so my advice to you would be the same. Stick with what you know.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
One piece of advice I received many years ago was don't go touring in brand new bib shorts. In other words break then in a bit first.

Personally I wouldn't change what I know works and so my advice to you would be the same. Stick with what you know.
That's why I am asking now, gives me a couple of months to adapt to new kit. I am beginning to think I will stick with my current regime.

OldShep

Über Member
If you did 300 mls without padded shorts then you don’t need them. You’ve obviously found the right clothing.
Eleven days of riding and you’re bound to get some sore bits but so will the others. Vaseline / Sudocream will end up being your friend.

I'd say stick to what you know - I do a fair bit of my riding unpadded but 50k is my limit. But here's a few thoughts, bearing in mind that my undercarriage is somewhat different to yours. ;)

1) The 500 range from Decathlon is very nice if you don't want to break the bank - I love their 3/4 length ladies' MTB tights

2) Seam free running undies made from wicking fabric is an absolute godsend when it comes to chafing avoidance. Again, Decathlon have these in stock in various styles at £3.99 a pair. Mine have gone from just cycling underwear to daily underwear as they're so comfy.

3) Oh, and Decathlon do baggy MTB shorts with removable padded undershorts for around £30 if that's of any interest. Although their unpadded MTB shorts (ST500) are also very nice - I have two pairs even though they're men's shorts as they're comfy and don't scream "cycling shorts" like the road kit does.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Things to consider is shorts + underwear is twice as many items of clothing to carry in terms of Bulk and weight.
Lycra cycle shorts are quick drying.
Meaning easily washed & dried overnight or if you get rained on they dry out V/quickly whilst riding.
Nowadays they have synthetic pads not chamois making them easier to look after.
HTH

Levo-Lon

Guru
I don't do big miles But I often do very wet muddy ones.
Padded shorts and either waterproof trousers or mt500 spray shorts. Might be above budget?

Waterproof :laugh: I know but keeping most out helps.
Lots of sudocream or whatever one you prefer.

A good splash guard will keep the grit off you, the main nasty if it gets in.

Good luck with the epic ride:okay:

Top Bottom