Cycling Snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
marinyork said:
You could have many ways of saying someone is a serious cyclist
  • number of bikes
  • type of bikes
  • fairweather/winter
  • clothing
  • number of miles
  • attitude
  • speed
Thing is, there are a lot of signs to signal that someone takes their cycling seriously, but not so many to say they don't - so its assumption.

For instance - If you see a bike parked and it has clipless pedals, you might assume that the owner takes cycling seriously, in one way or another.

If you see a mail-order heavyweight MTBSO you don't think the same way. But it could be ridden seriously by someone on a budget, or who is new to it and bought the "wrong bike" from bad advice.

Neither rider is "less worthy".

Not all lycra-wearers are uppity either, I remember sat in jeans and tee-shirt, eating my sarnies, my "homebrew" bike from spare bits laid out next to me, looking at the view and absent mindedly twirling my back wheel. I think it looked like I was folornly inspecting damage as next thing, a couple of "proper cyclists" in "proper cycling gear" were already unzipping their wedge bags to get their multi-tools ready to help out. They alnmost looked disappointed when I tol them that there was no problem, I was just enjoying a summer's day and stopping for a bit of lunch.

Nice of them to stop though, rather than sniff at the "poor kid on a tatty bike"

Norm

Sheffield_Tiger said:
Thing is, there are a lot of signs to signal that someone takes their cycling seriously, but not so many to say they don't - so its assumption.
Whilst I am not overly bothered whether someone is "serious" or not, I gauge their keenness on cadence.

Number14

Guru
55 mile organised ride on a Brompton last summer. Group of roadies took the mickey about me riding on a Brompton.

Lesson number 1 - Bromptons with Scwlabe marathon tyres don't get many punctures.

Lesson 2 - Roadies on skinny tyres do get lots of punctures.

Lesson 3 - Bromptons are quicker than roadies over 55 miles.

Moral: Don't take the pi$$ out of other cyclists- you may end up looking like a tw@t.

Norm said:
Whilst I am not overly bothered whether someone is "serious" or not, I gauge their keenness on cadence.

Fair point but one that is always confounded by the mysterious and latently superhuman "cycle-chic girl" that always breezes past you, though you're on the drops and in top gear pedalling "furiously", whilst she is sat upright with legs doing about 30RPM in a flowing dress with not a hair out of place.

Norm

Sheffield_Tiger said:
Fair point but one that is always confounded by the mysterious and latently superhuman "cycle-chic girl" that always breezes past you, though you're on the drops and in top gear pedalling "furiously", whilst she is sat upright with legs doing about 30RPM in a flowing dress with not a hair out of place.
Have you got her phone number? :thumbsup:

chap

Veteran
Sheffield_Tiger said:

That often is the case here in London, there are many women which can give a lot of people a run for their money. One could say it's a shame, although it can also be seen as part of the challenge, catch up with them and try to get the number. Making a good impression on a lady having effectively chased her for 2 or so minutes is a tricky skill to muster. :thumbsup:

Number14 said:
55 mile organised ride on a Brompton last summer. Group of roadies took the mickey about me riding on a Brompton.

Lesson number 1 - Bromptons with Scwlabe marathon tyres don't get many punctures.

Lesson 2 - Roadies on skinny tyres do get lots of punctures.

Lesson 3 - Bromptons are quicker than roadies over 55 miles.

Moral: Don't take the pi$$ out of other cyclists- you may end up looking like a tw@t.

Kudos to you :sad:
You've got to love the Brompton

Tynan

Veteran
horses for courses init

if want to ride hard enough to sweat then I think lycra etc is sensible, comfier and regulates heat better

I only wish I could afford merino, I have one pair of part merino socks

Debian

Norm said:

I tend to agree with you Norm. This is why, when I come across another cyclist I drop a gear or two and pedal like mad in the hope of impressing by my cadence. Especially if it's the "Cycle-Chic" girl! xx( :rolleyes:

Twanger

Über Member
I wear a base layer, a long sleeved jersey, a breathable windproof jacket, padded undershorts and winter tights in this weather because I like to keep warm and absolutely hate the slight feeling of clingy, sweaty dampness I am left with all morning when I cycle more than 2 miles in my work clothes.

yumpy

Sheffield_Tiger said:

Sounds like Mary Poppins lives near you somewhere.