Cycling Snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chap

Veteran
brokenbetty said:
Serendipitously, I just came across this video (while looking for info on vinatge hercules bikes, of all things)

How can anyone deny the superiority of the lycrista after seeing that?

(Sorry if it's been posted before. I tried a search on Spandex and Performance but you can imagine there are quite a lot of posts on those subjects :laugh: )

Fantastic! If only somebody had put it to me like that, tomorrow morning I know what I'll be purchasing. Look out ladies :biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
joebingo said:
No, I see myself as a serious cyclist because I cycle every day. Wearing Lycra is just an excuse to leave the house in my underwear. :biggrin:

What's wrong with you? Since when do you wear underwear with cycling lycra, you heathen!!

;):tongue:;):laugh:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
GrasB said:
Negligible padding Selle Italia saddles. I've ridden 5 miles or so on the SLC without padding & it left light bruising on my sit bones with padding though it's wonderfully comfortable along with the SLR

:wacko:

How do you know?

What sort of mirror positions and bodily contortions did you go through to see the bruises?

Downward

Guru
So after 9 pages it transpires 0.001% of people who ride a bike are snobs who like to rib other bike riders ? If I saw someone is a cape cycling I would allow a small smile too especially if i was a decent rider with a nice bike and fully kitted out.

Chrisc

Guru
I cycle therefore I am a cyclist.

Sometimes I wear padded shorts, sometimes I ride a dutch bike in trousers and a shirt, sometimes I ride a race bike in my rapha shorts and a manky t shirt, sometimes I go to the shops or work, sometimes I pootle round to the pub, sometimes I put the bike on the car rack and bugger off into the countryside to wander round pretty places in the sun with my missus on her pashley, sometimes I get piss wet through and frozen, sometimes I wear a helmet, sometimes I wear a woolly hat, sometimes I can't be arsed and use the motorbike, sometimes I wish I'd ridden in the tour de France, sometimes I think I'm Lance, sometimes I think I'm twenty again, sometimes I think I'd like to ride around the world, or do John O' Groats to Lands End, sometimes people blank me on the road, sometimes they wave and say hello, sometimes cars almost clip me, sometimes they stay behind and pass me safely, sometimes they piss me off but mostly I just grin and ride about on my bike.

Chrisc

Guru
chap said:
Well the racers of London can now rest easy (or should they be doing the opposite) as I am about to join that proud rank - admittedly without the Lycra.

Yes, I am purchasing a Pashley Guv'nor!

Well done! I am fancying one myself, to go with a nice merino sweater I have... Which model will it be?

Chrisc

Guru
chap said:
3 speed: I couldn't justify the single-speed, and didn't trust the 4 :biggrin:

Here's an enlightening website, which helped cement the decision: Guv'nor owners club

I have been rooting around that site. It's doing me no good at all!
How long do you have to wait and do you happen to know the chainring/freewheel sizes they fit as standard?

chap

Veteran
Chrisc said:
I have been rooting around that site. It's doing me no good at all!
How long do you have to wait and do you happen to know the chainring/freewheel sizes they fit as standard?

About a fortnight I have been told, although some shops may already have a model in your size. Erm, nope. Sadly, I'm not that technical with bikes, I just enjoy the ride :biggrin: Although, this will doubtlessly improve as I use them more often :thumbsup:

Well I have said this before on similar threads, but it still stands.

Those that are ignorant, are like that anyway its nothing to do with what bikes they ride or the clothes they wear.
Personally I have a foot in the roadie and MTB camps and when im out I acknowledge everyone whether im passing them or whether they are on the other side of the road.
If they fail to return the compliment, well thats their loss.

Origamist

Legendary Member
The Guv'nor offers a stately ride, Chap (I rode the single speed last year). I think you'll have to invest in some mudguards and a saddle-bag though. The duomatic version looks interesting, if a little pricey.

The Fixed 3 speed Pashley Clubman looks nice too - it's a bit more of a sporty throwback:
3998341993_15600aafa0_o.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
chap said:
Padded shorts for a 3 mile cycle? Seriously, what sort of saddle are you using?

One of these?:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

Well, I went out for a 40 miler today, and got waves and nods from some roadies, and not from others. I was completely blanked in a cafe in Pocklington, my mount was outside, and I was the only person in there, so it was obviously mine, and three cyclists turned up (roadie-ish, but more like tourers really - mudguards and racks), glanced at my trike, locked their bikes up, and then came in without so much as looking at me - I looked up expecting to at least exchange smiles. Perhaps they thought the Catrike marked me out as some sort of psychopath. Maybe it was the colour. It's something you see a lot - people see something they don't quite 'understand', and just blank it out.

Funnily, I got waves and grins from two separate car drivers....

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
mikeitup said:
I go for loads of rides in the summer. Last year a group of about 10 club riders passed me and we had a nice chat. they were really pleasant and all had carbon roadies. I was on my battered mtb/commuter.

I have been dissed by some roadies too but I don't take it too heart as they are probably twats anyway.

I think the last bit says it all really, twats exist everywhere, it's just unfortunate that they colour the perceptions of others re whatever activity they happen to be indulging at the time.