Cycling Snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

utdrd

I use my bike for commuting, going down the pub and everything in between. I've never given too much thought to the technical side of things or buying the 'appropriate gear'. I ride a GT zum hybrid which suits my needs and isn't too heavy. Even in cold windy weather I'll have my padded shorts on and a windbreaker of sorts (i'm anything but stylish). I'm in my early 40s and love my cycling mostly for the freedom involved but also for the obvious health benefits. If anything I feel fitter now than I did in my early 20s. I couldn't give 2 hoots as to how I may look or what make or style of bike I have.
Strangely in the past few weeks I have become aware of cycling snobbery. I stopped for some water from my rucksack (old and battered but waterproof) the other day before going up a rather steep gradient. About ten lycra clad Lance Armstrong wannabees pulled up next to me. Cue energy drinks and high protein bars being passed around etc. I got talking to them only to be almost disdainfully dismissed by these preposterous looking clones for not being a 'serious' cyclist and not having a 'proper' bike! I have to say I laughed at first but the crazy thing is that these guys really were so far up their own ar*es it struck me as quite unbelievable and certainly put me off joining a club as a friend had suggested.
I had another similar 'incident' only this morning but got talking to the guy. I politely explained to him that my bicycle is my principal mode of transport i.e. much more than a hobby and that I routinely do anything from 100-150 miles per week. The bike suits my needs and I'm not out to prove anything to anyone else on the road as regards having the best equipment and gear etc. plus at my age I'm not looking at entering the Tour de France anytime soon. The chap turned out to be ok despite the initial impression I had of him but did say he wouldn't be seen dead on anything but his high end road bike.
I'm curious as to whether anyone else on here has had similar experiences or indeed if there are cycling snobs about who might like to educate me;). Now I can accept abuse from motorists but find the attitude of some cyclists to be, if anything, worse.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
"Strangely in the past few weeks I have become aware of cycling snobbery" - sounds like you're being sucked in, you old inverted snob. ;-)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I wouldn't worry too much about. There are an awful lot of cyclists and you can't expect them all to be civil. I don't think it has anything to do with how seriously they take the sport.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's true my friend. There's an unacknowledged cycling hierarchy.

The road racer types, touring, hybrid and then the ATB cyclist.

The racer thinks he's the bees knees, the touring guy is considered okay cause he cycles for leisure, the hybrid and the ATB get lumped into the 'too poor to drive' catgeory.

In 6 months of commuting 24 miles daily, I've only once been overtaken and that was by an old bloke on a tourer. The amount of road racers that I've overtaken, is countless. I know it's a a generalisation, but a lot of them are just posers.

Cubist

Still wavin'
utdrd said:
I use my bike for commuting, going down the pub and everything in between. I've never given too much thought to the technical side of things or buying the 'appropriate gear'. I ride a GT zum hybrid which suits my needs and isn't too heavy. Even in cold windy weather I'll have my padded shorts on and a windbreaker of sorts (i'm anything but stylish). I'm in my early 40s and love my cycling mostly for the freedom involved but also for the obvious health benefits. If anything I feel fitter now than I did in my early 20s. I couldn't give 2 hoots as to how I may look or what make or style of bike I have.
Strangely in the past few weeks I have become aware of cycling snobbery. I stopped for some water from my rucksack (old and battered but waterproof) the other day before going up a rather steep gradient. About ten lycra clad Lance Armstrong wannabees pulled up next to me. Cue energy drinks and high protein bars being passed around etc. I got talking to them only to be almost disdainfully dismissed by these preposterous looking clones for not being a 'serious' cyclist and not having a 'proper' bike! I have to say I laughed at first but the crazy thing is that these guys really were so far up their own ar*es it struck me as quite unbelievable and certainly put me off joining a club as a friend had suggested.
I had another similar 'incident' only this morning but got talking to the guy. I politely explained to him that my bicycle is my principal mode of transport i.e. much more than a hobby and that I routinely do anything from 100-150 miles per week. The bike suits my needs and I'm not out to prove anything to anyone else on the road as regards having the best equipment and gear etc. plus at my age I'm not looking at entering the Tour de France anytime soon. The chap turned out to be ok despite the initial impression I had of him but did say he wouldn't be seen dead on anything but his high end road bike.
I'm curious as to whether anyone else on here has had similar experiences or indeed if there are cycling snobs about who might like to educate me;). Now I can accept abuse from motorists but find the attitude of some cyclists to be, if anything, worse.
You're not expecting an answer to this are you, I mean doesn't a Zum have flat bars FFS?xx(

:biggrin:

Redvers

I agree with your point about us all having more than enough to contend with arrogant motorists without this silly bike hierarchy.

I like to consider everyone on two wheels to be part of a brother/sister hood even motor bikers.

It does seem to be a UK based thing in my experience. Cycling in Europe a few years ago with a group and some very ropy bikes we had problems with broken spokes, punctures et al and every passing cyclist stopped to lend a hand and no one mentioned the rough state of our kit.

Davidc

Guru
You do get them, but most cyclists seem to be OK.

I don't wear 'the gear' either, and ride either a slicked and racked ATB or a tourer. It's surprising how many of those with the expensive and pristine road bikes and all the new looking gear aren't all that fast or fit.

To my mind utdrd you're a far more serious cyclist, using the bike as your main full-time transport, than those you describe (or than me for that matter).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
utdrd said:

Very similar experiences, except I ride a city bike much of the time. If anything I think cyclechat is less snobby than out there. There are a lot of people who aren't snobby but you're less likely to meet them. Clubs and the CTC seem very snobby to me.

Years ago when I was a club rider, racer, roadie, we all used to think people who road sit up and begs weren't "proper cyclists". I was brought up to think that.

Over the last 15 years or so I changed my opinion so much and now don't do much at all, mainly because of circumstances like elderly parents etc, over the last 5 years. However, when I do go out I enjoy it whether it is 5 miles or 25 miles. Sometimes these "not proper cyclists" who are utility cyclists actually do more than some of the roadies as they use the bikes to go shopping, to school, work etc and not just to see how fast they can go.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think most of the snobby riders are wannabes. They might have all the gear, but most likely have some sort of deep seated insecurity. Serious cyclists, good club riders, tend to be much friendlier.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think you're being a bit sensitive to be honest, so what if you ride a Hybrid, at least it's not an MTB? OK, you just have to get used to being near the bottom of the pecking order and then you'll feel better with yourself.... At least you don't ride a recumbent, so you've still got somebody to look down on.

BTW, not all clubs are snobby, though I can imagine that some are.

tightwad

utdrd said:

It's not the bike or the shorts, it's the windbreaker. Never seen someone ride with one of these on. Hidden from the wind on a beach using one, but never had the inclination to wear one, let alone cycle in one.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Fab Foodie said:
At least you don't ride a recumbent, so you've still got somebody to look down on.

LOL, I almost posted something like that. So true though, you should see the outrage if I pass some rider with pretensions.