Cycling Snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i live in one of the poorest parts of the country and it's exactly like that here. i love keeping up with poseurs on my brommie!! they don't even acknowledge anything outside their own kind. roadies nod at roadies, mtb at mtb etc etc very very sad. when i travel abroad whether germany canada or poor indonesia it just doesn't exist the same way. a bike is a bike

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
BentMikey said:
LOL, I almost posted something like that. So true though, you should see the outrage if I pass some rider with pretensions.

It's when you overtake me and my lovely race-bike and you're on roller blaades that I get a bit hacked-off xx(

OP
OP
U

utdrd

Some great responses on here. Fell about laughing at that one Cunobelin xx( and the windbreaker crack..top notch:smile:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i've seen a bloke smoking a pipe whilst riding. and there is a local fella that cycles in a pair of wellies and flat cap whatever the weather. he smokes roll ups. slow but steady and he is out in any weather...respect to him not weeken warriors. hehe brownbacks racing has a 'weekend warrior' class

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Sound like a bunch of insecure idiots- bike is an extension of their inadequacies.

In all walks of life you'll find snobs - get out on your bike and enjoy it. That's all that matters.

I own a cheap folder that doesn't leave the house any more but I love that bike as he was what got me into cycling in the first place and I also own a full carbon road bike- doesn't make me a snob though, a tit maybe but not a snob.

irontam

All starting to feel like the class sketch from The Frost Report.

1. "I look down on him because I wear lycra and ride a bike worth more than a small car."
  2. "I look up at him because he is cycling upper class. I look down at him as I have an entry level road bike and aspirations."
  3. "I ride fixed."

chap

Veteran
utdrd said:
I use my bike for commuting, going down the pub and everything in between. I've never given too much thought to the technical side of things or buying the 'appropriate gear'. I ride a GT zum hybrid which suits my needs and isn't too heavy. Even in cold windy weather I'll have my padded shorts on and a windbreaker of sorts (i'm anything but stylish). I'm in my early 40s and love my cycling mostly for the freedom involved but also for the obvious health benefits. If anything I feel fitter now than I did in my early 20s. I couldn't give 2 hoots as to how I may look or what make or style of bike I have.
Strangely in the past few weeks I have become aware of cycling snobbery. I stopped for some water from my rucksack (old and battered but waterproof) the other day before going up a rather steep gradient. About ten lycra clad Lance Armstrong wannabees pulled up next to me. Cue energy drinks and high protein bars being passed around etc. I got talking to them only to be almost disdainfully dismissed by these preposterous looking clones for not being a 'serious' cyclist and not having a 'proper' bike! I have to say I laughed at first but the crazy thing is that these guys really were so far up their own ar*es it struck me as quite unbelievable and certainly put me off joining a club as a friend had suggested.
I had another similar 'incident' only this morning but got talking to the guy. I politely explained to him that my bicycle is my principal mode of transport i.e. much more than a hobby and that I routinely do anything from 100-150 miles per week. The bike suits my needs and I'm not out to prove anything to anyone else on the road as regards having the best equipment and gear etc. plus at my age I'm not looking at entering the Tour de France anytime soon. The chap turned out to be ok despite the initial impression I had of him but did say he wouldn't be seen dead on anything but his high end road bike.
I'm curious as to whether anyone else on here has had similar experiences or indeed if there are cycling snobs about who might like to educate me;). Now I can accept abuse from motorists but find the attitude of some cyclists to be, if anything, worse.

There is a hierarchy amongst cyclists, more of an inverted pyramid. We're all equal, bar those that wear Lycra in the city/town, who rank about 7 stages down from a clown on a collapsing unicycle*.

*Unicyclists, are with the rest of us on the plateau. Cycling is an egalitarian sport and means, only the obnoxious are worse.

GrasB

Veteran
If you're on a bike & riding sensibly it's all good ignore them.

Davidc said:
I don't wear 'the gear' either, and ride either a slicked and racked ATB or a tourer. It's surprising how many of those with the expensive and pristine road bikes and all the new looking gear aren't all that fast or fit.
+1 I've only had comments from roadies who have obviously spent a lot of money on their bike & clothes to look like they're good riders but haven't got the legs to back up their pretensions. I've never had a negative comment & only advice from roadies who could keep up with me or drop me, that means a genuinely strong rider.

GrasB

Veteran
chap said:
There is a hierarchy amongst cyclists, more of an inverted pyramid. We're all equal, bar those that wear Lycra in the city/town, who rank about 7 stages down from a clown on a collapsing unicycle*.

*Unicyclists, are with the rest of us on the plateau. Cycling is an egalitarian sport and means, only the obnoxious are worse.
OI! so does that mean for the 1.3 miles of town riding I oft do I'm below a clown... xx(

I wear lycra 'cos it dries faster than cotton if it there's a rain shower when I'm out riding, I bought it from Aldi.
I got a Ventura jacket 'cos it fitted me nicely, not 'cos I wanted to pay that much for a jacket (believe me, it hurt when I keyed my pin into the machine!).
I'm going clipless 'cos I use toeclips at the mo and thought I might as well (alright , I admit it, plus the w**k value :biggrin: :smile: )
I'm getting a new bike come June as my employer is part of the Cycle2Work scheme, it's not often the gevenment let you have anything tax free and I feel like indulging myself for once.
The only cyclists I would look down on are ninjas 'cos they give the rest of us a bad name, and persistent RLJ-ing, on/off-the-pavement I-can-ride-where/when-I-like-the-rules-don't-apply-types for the same reason.
That aside, come one come all :biggrin: I'd love to see 50% of the current motoring traffic of this country on bikes, you'd soon see some better road surfacing going on!

Cycling is a surprisingly exclusive sport and this sort of snobbery is commonplace. It even spills onto t'internet where bikeradar has an excusive pinarello feel. Rather than see it as a bad thing, I tend to see it as a raisin d'être for cyclechat. This place is pretty open and welcoming and has created the most fantastic cycling site in the whole wide world web. I love you guys. Give me a hug.

gavintc

Guru
Get over yourself. Do you honestly think that they are looking down at you. I think you have issues and have not learnt to respect the serious roadie with appropriate attitude and deference.