Cycling Snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
:hugs:Love to you Dude!!!CC has got to be one of the most welcoming places around.

Tollers said:
Cycling is a surprisingly exclusive sport and this sort of snobbery is commonplace. It even spills onto t'internet where bikeradar has an excusive pinarello feel. Rather than see it as a bad thing, I tend to see it as a raisin d'être for cyclechat. This place is pretty open and welcoming and has created the most fantastic cycling site in the whole wide world web. I love you guys. Give me a hug.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
gavintc said:
Get over yourself. Do you honestly think that they are looking down at you. I think you have issues and have not learnt to respect the serious roadie with appropriate attitude and deference.

I 'kin know they are looking down at me!!!!

Talking about which, I pulled off the funniest bit of abuse I've managed for a while at Critical Mass. I come up next to some chap on a Challenge Seiran recumbent and shout "OI, you want to get a flag riding that BLOODY INVISIBLE deathtrap!" He turns round, looking extremely indignant, and then realises I'm talking from below him on my lowracer. LOLOL!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Dearest montage..some of us don't need to pay for attention or sex...:biggrin:

Widely OT don't you think?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Tollers said:
Cycling is a surprisingly exclusive sport and this sort of snobbery is commonplace. It even spills onto t'internet where bikeradar has an excusive pinarello feel. Rather than see it as a bad thing, I tend to see it as a raisin d'être for cyclechat. This place is pretty open and welcoming and has created the most fantastic cycling site in the whole wide world web. I love you guys. Give me a hug.

I post here, on YACF, and BR (mainly in their Commuting sections, also in Road, no idea about MTB). I've met lovely people (IRL) from all three. Now, there are quite a few snobs over there, particularly the roadies (frenchfighter, the fanatical LA-hater, springs to mind) but many, many more aren't, including the roadies. NapD (who also posts over here) springs to mind. I don't know about the 'exclusive Pinarello feel'. Anyway, Pinarellos aren't even properly Italian, frames are made in the Far East!! :biggrin: One of the guys I know from BR has a Pinarello Prince. Not a snob, except when he's being thoroughly tongue-in-cheek. I might get wind-ups from him and others about my 'clown bike', about putting SPDs on the Viner...but they're jokes. Ditto the public-school educated young lady I know with a Viner Maxima. Despite the cut-glass accent, anything but a snob....I could go on. CC is indeed a lovely welcoming place, but that doesn't mean the other places aren't.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
StuAff said:
I post here, on YACF, and BR (mainly in their Commuting sections, also in Road, no idea about MTB). I've met lovely people (IRL) from all three. Now, there are quite a few snobs over there, particularly the roadies (frenchfighter, the fanatical LA-hater, springs to mind) but many, many more aren't, including the roadies. NapD (who also posts over here) springs to mind. I don't know about the 'exclusive Pinarello feel'. Anyway, Pinarellos aren't even properly Italian, frames are made in the Far East!! :biggrin: One of the guys I know from BR has a Pinarello Prince. Not a snob, except when he's being thoroughly tongue-in-cheek. I might get wind-ups from him and others about my 'clown bike', about putting SPDs on the Viner...but they're jokes. Ditto the public-school educated young lady I know with a Viner Maxima. Despite the cut-glass accent, anything but a snob....I could go on. CC is indeed a lovely welcoming place, but that doesn't mean the other places aren't.

Burn the heretic...

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Well thats me in with the bottom feeders then,i ride both a Hybrid and an MTB.....feel free to slap me with a wet kipper when you see me on the road or playing in some mud :biggrin:

Would'nt worry too much about the snobs,if you enjoy cycling then thats the main thing and this site is a non -snob zone....life is good

D

Deleted member 1258

The question I would ask is where has this snobbery come from? I am old enough and have ridden long enough to remember when there was no snobbery, we were all just cyclists. For some reason it seems to have crept in over the last few years.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
dave r said:
The question I would ask is where has this snobbery come from? I am old enough and have ridden long enough to remember when there was no snobbery, we were all just cyclists. For some reason it seems to have crept in over the last few years.

Thing is though dave r, maybe you, like me, can remember a time when there were no MTB's and no hybrids... and we had nobody to point and laugh at...

irontam said:
All starting to feel like the class sketch from The Frost Report.

1. "I look down on him because I wear lycra and ride a bike worth more than a small car."
  2. "I look up at him because he is cycling upper class. I look down at him as I have an entry level road bike and aspirations."
  3. "I ride fixed."

*Ouch*

brokenbetty

Über Member
I am a reverse bike snob. I think it's a reaction to the cycle to work scheme cos everyone at work has a new bike now.

Also, I don't want to be outclassed by my own equipment. I want my riding to make crap bikes look good, not vice versa :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 1258

Fab Foodie said:
Thing is though dave r, maybe you, like me, can remember a time when there were no MTB's and no hybrids... and we had nobody to point and laugh at...

Yes I remember the days before mountain bikes, The Sunday club run often included rough stuff, and great fun it was to. But I don't remember ever pointing and laughing at someone else's bike, if it's different to mine I tend to be just curious about it.