Cycling Snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
utdrd said:
I use my bike for commuting, going down the pub and everything in between. I've never given too much thought to the technical side of things or buying the 'appropriate gear'. I ride a GT zum hybrid which suits my needs and isn't too heavy. Even in cold windy weather I'll have my padded shorts on and a windbreaker of sorts (i'm anything but stylish). I'm in my early 40s and love my cycling mostly for the freedom involved but also for the obvious health benefits. If anything I feel fitter now than I did in my early 20s. I couldn't give 2 hoots as to how I may look or what make or style of bike I have.
Strangely in the past few weeks I have become aware of cycling snobbery. I stopped for some water from my rucksack (old and battered but waterproof) the other day before going up a rather steep gradient. About ten lycra clad Lance Armstrong wannabees pulled up next to me. Cue energy drinks and high protein bars being passed around etc. I got talking to them only to be almost disdainfully dismissed by these preposterous looking clones for not being a 'serious' cyclist and not having a 'proper' bike! I have to say I laughed at first but the crazy thing is that these guys really were so far up their own ar*es it struck me as quite unbelievable and certainly put me off joining a club as a friend had suggested.
I had another similar 'incident' only this morning but got talking to the guy. I politely explained to him that my bicycle is my principal mode of transport i.e. much more than a hobby and that I routinely do anything from 100-150 miles per week. The bike suits my needs and I'm not out to prove anything to anyone else on the road as regards having the best equipment and gear etc. plus at my age I'm not looking at entering the Tour de France anytime soon. The chap turned out to be ok despite the initial impression I had of him but did say he wouldn't be seen dead on anything but his high end road bike.
I'm curious as to whether anyone else on here has had similar experiences or indeed if there are cycling snobs about who might like to educate me;). Now I can accept abuse from motorists but find the attitude of some cyclists to be, if anything, worse.
Troll-icon.png

OP
OP
U

utdrd

Good question eldudino.....am i a SERIOUS cyclist? Hell no, I'm generally a happy fun seeking cyclist going to and fro minding my own business (for the most part) but I just thought I'd comment on my recent observations which may be erroneous. OMG I might even be an inverted snob :biggrin:. I love to see people cycling about and experiencing the highs (beautiful days, fresh air) and lows (biting cold, wind and rain) of this mode of transport but do find the snobbery aspect inherent in some cyclists' attitudes to be churlish yet at the same time amusing to behold.

Davidc

Guru
There is a worse form of cycling snobbery.

It surfaces at gatherings involving non-cyclists and its the "I ride a bike so I'm superior, fitter and more environmentally conscious than the rest of you" lifestyle statement.

It has a totally negative inpact on non-cyclists' view of cyclists.

When challenged it often turns out that the perpetrators are the high cost bike, got all the gear, weekends in summer when it's not too hot and it's dry mob that were mentioned above.

SimonC

utdrd said:
I use my bike for commuting, going down the pub and everything in between. I've never given too much thought to the technical side of things or buying the 'appropriate gear'. I ride a GT zum hybrid which suits my needs and isn't too heavy. Even in cold windy weather I'll have my padded shorts on and a windbreaker of sorts (i'm anything but stylish). I'm in my early 40s and love my cycling mostly for the freedom involved but also for the obvious health benefits. If anything I feel fitter now than I did in my early 20s. I couldn't give 2 hoots as to how I may look or what make or style of bike I have.
Strangely in the past few weeks I have become aware of cycling snobbery. I stopped for some water from my rucksack (old and battered but waterproof) the other day before going up a rather steep gradient. About ten lycra clad Lance Armstrong wannabees pulled up next to me. Cue energy drinks and high protein bars being passed around etc. I got talking to them only to be almost disdainfully dismissed by these preposterous looking clones for not being a 'serious' cyclist and not having a 'proper' bike! I have to say I laughed at first but the crazy thing is that these guys really were so far up their own ar*es it struck me as quite unbelievable and certainly put me off joining a club as a friend had suggested.
I had another similar 'incident' only this morning but got talking to the guy. I politely explained to him that my bicycle is my principal mode of transport i.e. much more than a hobby and that I routinely do anything from 100-150 miles per week. The bike suits my needs and I'm not out to prove anything to anyone else on the road as regards having the best equipment and gear etc. plus at my age I'm not looking at entering the Tour de France anytime soon. The chap turned out to be ok despite the initial impression I had of him but did say he wouldn't be seen dead on anything but his high end road bike.
I'm curious as to whether anyone else on here has had similar experiences or indeed if there are cycling snobs about who might like to educate me;). Now I can accept abuse from motorists but find the attitude of some cyclists to be, if anything, worse.

Did this really happen, ten riders pulling up and passing round energy drinks and protein bars?? Sounds like the Famous Five on an cycle outing, either that or invented b****cks.

SimonC

Davidc said:

It surfaces at gatherings involving non-cyclists and its the "I ride a bike so I'm superior, fitter and more environmentally conscious than the rest of you" lifestyle statement.

When challenged it often turns out that the perpetrators are the high cost bike, got all the gear, weekends in summer when it's not too hot and it's dry mob that were mentioned above.

No snobbery here then davidc?

SimonC

Davidc said:
No. Look the word up Simon.

"There is a worse form of cycling snobbery.

When challenged it often turns out that the perpetrators are the high cost bike, got all the gear, weekends in summer when it's not too hot and it's dry mob that were mentioned above."

Its the "I ride a bike in all weathers, not just at weekends, so what do you know" statement.

Snobbery, or inverted snobbery??

Fab Foodie said:
Burn the heretic...
Yeah, he's only got 230 posts, fricking wannabe newbie....

Utdrd, best response is to keep up with them. I ride a variety of bikes. When I'm on the MTB, roadies don't say hello. When I'm on the road bike, MTB-ers don't say hello. When I'm on the folder, no-one says hello and I get raced by BSO/BMX kiddies.

It's a reflection of how materialistic, atomised and status-obsessed our society has become, unfortunately. We're all looking for what distinguishes us from other people, rather than looking for what we have in common.

gavintc

Guru
I have been a member of 2 clubs over the last 5 years. I can honestly state that I have not come across kit snobbery to the extent implied here. Indeed, if you turn up in a new Rapha/Assos top you are more likely to be ribbed gently than if you turn up in a new Endura top. Newcomers are encouraged and assisted and nobody expects them to have the latest bike. I also know that most have an MTB / hybrid as their commuter / town bike and people generally acknowledge that some bikes are more suitable for some tasks.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
Twenty Inch said:
Yeah, he's only got 230 posts, fricking wannabe newbie....

Utdrd, best response is to keep up with them. I ride a variety of bikes. When I'm on the MTB, roadies don't say hello. When I'm on the road bike, MTB-ers don't say hello. When I'm on the folder, no-one says hello and I get raced by BSO/BMX kiddies.

It's a reflection of how materialistic, atomised and status-obsessed our society has become, unfortunately. We're all looking for what distinguishes us from other people, rather than looking for what we have in common.

It's a hard life ain't it TwentyInch! We all like to think we are different or unique, yet we all fall into neat little groups. A right bleedin' paradox that,:biggrin:

Davidc

Guru
SimonC said:
"There is a worse form of cycling snobbery.

When challenged it often turns out that the perpetrators are the high cost bike, got all the gear, weekends in summer when it's not too hot and it's dry mob that were mentioned above."

Its the "I ride a bike in all weathers, not just at weekends, so what do you know" statement.

Snobbery, or inverted snobbery??

I can't find that one. It isn't part of my observation, which is free from any and all snobbery or inverted snobbery.

Do try to read other peoples posts properly before making stupid responses which contain silly inaccurate assumptions.

Debian

Can't say I've experienced or dished out snobbery of any sort.

But privately I am amused at those who wear pro-team look-alike lycra gear, although I've not noticed it so much lately. When I used to see someone in a Liquigaz or similar outfit I always formed an image of ghost rider who got lost during one Tour de France and has been cycling ever since trying to catch up.

SimonC

Davidc said:
I can't find that one. It isn't part of my observation, which is free from any and all snobbery or inverted snobbery.

Do try to read other peoples posts properly before making stupid responses which contain silly inaccurate assumptions.

So its not implied in your statement

Whatever.....it doesnt matter......you arent a proper cyclist anyway.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Tollers said:
Cycling is a surprisingly exclusive sport and this sort of snobbery is commonplace. It even spills onto t'internet where bikeradar has an excusive pinarello feel. Rather than see it as a bad thing, I tend to see it as a raisin d'être for cyclechat. This place is pretty open and welcoming and has created the most fantastic cycling site in the whole wide world web. I love you guys. Give me a hug.

was it cash, cheque or paypal?