Cycling Snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
GrasB said:
Heart rate is effected by all kinds of things, I tend to find my heart rate starts to rise at the bottom of the hill, rises & tails off a bit before the top but it'll rise & peak about 2/3 the way down the descents after the climb... about 15-30s after hitting vmax & cmax (is that a term, hell it is now!) for the day.

I'm just saying, I genuinely have little idea how hard I'm pushing and it's been put to me before that I'm underdoing it, sometimes by a lot. For me it is just hurt and not hurt. I cannot distinguish really at all between 60% MSHR, 80% and 90%, I haven't got a clue, especially if I switch into a higher gear where it'll hurt anyway. I found the same thing with other people I didn't ride with where they were apparently even bigger wusses and would complain about it hurting a lot trundling along at 10mph although this might have been true because their HR was about 30-40 higher than mine for totally normal activites and spiked like crazy.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
chap said:
We're not seriously debating whether Lycra-clad individuals are the sole-preserve of Snobbery are we?:headshake:

This debate is almost begging to be put out of its misery. My main lesson, from a number of forum members is that less people read between the lines than I had thought. So I shall make it explicit, with copious usage of smileys.

Seems like it, yes this is in what the OP posted about ie roadies in lycra with top end gear being snobs - I think this can be an overdone topic.

No it's not simply about reading between the lines especially in written digital media. Or are you simply implying that everyone should have the same interpretation as you?

gavintc

Guru
chap said:
On a slightly tangential note, I always find it odd - if not rather ironic - that the Lycra-crew refer to their-selves as 'serious cyclists', whereas commuters, utility cyclists, etc are deemed as some sort of fashionista upstart.

I would regard Amsterdam a country of 'serious' cyclists, as opposed to say the USA or Canada, yet is it not these countries which produce the cycle greats?

You have a real problem with attitude Chap. Not everyone wants to dress and behave like you. Equally, those that do not are not looking down at you. Because I wear lycra for most rides does not stop me regarding people who cycle about town in normal clothes. I think you need to take a chill pill - there are other types of cyclists out there and we also enjoy our cycling.

chap

Veteran
ttcycle said:
Seems like it, yes this is in what the OP posted about ie roadies in lycra with top end gear being snobs - I think this can be an overdone topic.

No it's not simply about reading between the lines especially in written digital media. Or are you simply implying that everyone should have the same interpretation as you?

TTCycle, I am sure we agree on much, but this is now really trying my patience, there was an audible groan that escaped me on reading your concluding sentence.

Let's just agree to disagree, or perhaps start a related thread which I shall respond to at a later date. I know this is the Internet where pointless debates may reverberate through the passage of time, but I really have better and more pressing forms of procrastination to attend to.

Cheers.

chap

Veteran
gavintc said:
You have a real problem with attitude Chap. Not everyone wants to dress and behave like you. Equally, those that do not are not looking down at you. Because I wear lycra for most rides does not stop me regarding people who cycle about town in normal clothes. I think you need to take a chill pill - there are other types of cyclists out there and we also enjoy our cycling.

:headshake: How could I have a problem with you, not only are you from the finest city in Britain, but you also have a pleasant demeanour. Although I wouldn't wish to cycle too close to the Forth in Lycra, and in parts of Leith and Granton you might get odd looks.

All the best.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
gavintc said:

+1

But lets agree to agree;)

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
i have to try and stop this now!!! iam a cyclist we are all cyclist or potential cyclist,s my grand farther was a cyclist and i except all cyclist what ever you ride or however u dress, it all looks the same to a blind man, anyone not agreeing , send 20 pounds (no reason othan for me to spend it) :biggrin:

chap

Veteran
steve52 said:
i have to try and stop this now!!! iam a cyclist we are all cyclist or potential cyclist,s my grand farther was a cyclist and i except all cyclist what ever you ride or however u dress, it all looks the same to a blind man, anyone not agreeing , send 20 pounds (no reason othan for me to spend it) :laugh:

Lol, good luck, my previous posts have been spent trying to clarify that I honestly do not care about Lycra (as a choice, lifestyle, or material.) Unfortunately, it's falling on deaf ears since the appropriate snippets exist. Now I'm beginning to understand why politicians obfuscate banality into jargon :biggrin:

chap

Veteran
GrasB said:
For me, personally yes.

As for your work colleague, I'd personally think he's a bit of a clown, I'd drive in to the P&R with civvies with a pair of padded undies or old cycling shorts underneath put some cycling shoes on & ride the remainder.

Padded shorts for a 3 mile cycle? Seriously, what sort of saddle are you using?

brokenbetty

Über Member
Serendipitously, I just came across this video (while looking for info on vinatge hercules bikes, of all things)

How can anyone deny the superiority of the lycrista after seeing that?

(Sorry if it's been posted before. I tried a search on Spandex and Performance but you can imagine there are quite a lot of posts on those subjects :laugh: )

GrasB

Veteran
Negligible padding Selle Italia saddles. I've ridden 5 miles or so on the SLC without padding & it left light bruising on my sit bones with padding though it's wonderfully comfortable along with the SLR