Cycling the Severn Crossing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archeress

Veteran
Hi everyone,

I'm considering a little trip into Wales on the bike sometime soon and was wondering what it is like cycling over the bridge? If anyone has done it, can you post your experiences in reply. What about the wind? I would be cycling both ways over the bridge.

Hugs
Archeress x

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
First time I cycled over it was shrouded in thick fog :eek:

But generally conditions aren't too bad, although the wind can be an issue, I usually cross on the north side, therefore sheltering from the usual south-westerly !

It is a great experience and opens up some fantastic cycling in Wales :thumbsup:

Davidc

Guru
I used to ride over it when it was still new - when I was a student in Bristol. Often did a loop Bristol, Chepstow, Gloucester, Bristol. Only once recently though, and only a dozen times in the last ten years. Last time the Wye bridge section was very badly covered in bits of glass, but that's not IME usual.

Wind can be unpleasant, especially combined with rain, as it's very exposed. You're well protected though so no chance of being blown into danger. Fantastic views.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
You can usually choose which side to cycle over so if its breezy pick the down wind side. I have ridden over it several times worth it just for the views.Once over on the Welsh Side theres a good cycle path up the side of the Wye Valley link road dual carriageway so you can continue traffic free right up to the Chepstow Roundabout.

100milebikeride024.jpg

100milebikeride013.jpg

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The Severn Bridge was shut for maintenance last weekend which nearly derailed our plans for a family ride in the Forest of Dean. It's worth checking the BBC Travel pages before you set off if you want to use it.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
You can usually choose which side to cycle over so if its breezy pick the down wind side. I have ridden over it several times worth it just for the views.Once over on the Welsh Side theres a good cycle path up the side of the Wye Valley link road dual carriageway so you can continue traffic free right up to the Chepstow Roundabout.

100milebikeride024.jpg

100milebikeride013.jpg
Nice photos. Bridge maintenance usually on affects the road whereas the cycle & pedestrian paths are on either side below road level. I walked out into the middle of the bridge on an unusually sunny calm day last November when it was shut to traffic. Nice to actually be able to hear the river under the bridge^_^. Have a go, it's an okay ride if traffic levels are low, fantastic vantage point and it really gives you the impression of being in a big estuary!. Looking over the side of the bridge is not for the faint hearted or verigo sufferers^_^.

Top Bottom