Cycling tightwads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neslon

I have read some right cods tonight: Babybel wrappers to make rear lights? Clingfilm on your helmet?(fnarr fnarr).
What is the matter with these folk? By riding my bike very day for years, instead of using my car (an old Impreza Turbo) I have saved Umpty Thrumpty pounds, at least, and can buy what I want. So can you!!!!
Every tank equivalent should be used to enhance your riding experience, not contribute to this weird cheese paring mean scrimping oddness.

PrettyboyTim

You're assuming that the bike is replacing costs that would have been spent on a car. That's certainly not the case for me.

Anyway, why pay for something new when you've already got something perfectly serviceable that'll do the job for you already?

Tynan

Veteran
lo tech init, all power to them

my rear mudguard is secured with a piece of garden wire

however I have just this second lashed £53 on two NEW short sleeve tops and a NEW rear light

EVEN THOUGH I'VE GOT ONE ALREADY!!!!!

better?

Plax

Guru
One of the guys from work has made a front mudguard from a plastic cider bottle (it's blue - white lightening maybe?) and pipe cleaners. I confess I had thought of the cling film on your helmet (or a shower cap), but decided that was a bit naff and just stick to my woolly hat and helmet if it rains.
Oh, went a bit mad in Aldi's tonight too. They still had some left over stock from a few weeks back - so now have some thermal "underwear" (top and bottom base layers basically), a couple more pairs of ski socks and another roll neck top. Just ordered an open faced balaclava (don't fancy looking like a potential IRA recruit with the SAS style ones) from ebay too, so I'm hopefully well kitted out for the colder weather!

I'm with Neslon I'm afraid, the very idea of using bailing twine and bus tickets to manufacture a mudguard flap makes me feel a bit vomity. As for buying kit in Aldi, have you pepole no shame?

spindrift

I turn the gas off when I turn the bacon over and switch off the windscreen wipers under bridges.

Arch

Married to Night Train
neslon said:
I have read some right cods tonight: Babybel wrappers to make rear lights? Clingfilm on your helmet?(fnarr fnarr).
What is the matter with these folk? By riding my bike very day for years, instead of using my car (an old Impreza Turbo) I have saved Umpty Thrumpty pounds, at least, and can buy what I want. So can you!!!!
Every tank equivalent should be used to enhance your riding experience, not contribute to this weird cheese paring mean scrimping oddness.

You obviously have money to spare. Some of us don't. I couldn't afford to run a car, even if I wanted to, so I'm not 'saving' on that. And why should I spend what little I have on buying something if I can get or make something equally good for less or free?

If more people were a bit more cheeseparing, we wouldn't be using up the planet's resources at the rate we are. Thrift used to be seen as a positive asset, now it seems, it's something to laugh at...

Tynan

Veteran
I've got three separate pieces of cheese at the moment, although the Red Leicester is almost finished

and three sorts of pickle, although the piccalilli is almost finished

no prizes for guessing what's in my frugal, planet saving packed lunch today

Maz

Guru
"My favourite's Red Leicester. Can't think why."

Anyone remember that British Cheese marketing board advert with Ken Livingstone??

It was very cheesy.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
GO THRIFTERS!

At 50 notes just for front mudguards for my trike, I will be fashioning my own from 3lt plastic milk bottles and some left over flashing from the double glazing.
Before assembling all surfaces will be primed an then sprayed with 2 coats of gloss black car paint and finally I will pop rivit the mudguards into place.

Now I can take my £50 and buy the rest of my gear at Aldi!

T x

The ones I don't really get are those who improvise their own gear but still end up spending a lot. Like the chap in the "converted Maglite rear light" thread who as far as I can see has spent just under fifty quid on making a Maglite into a rear lamp. Fair enough, if that's what turns you on, but you can buy a very good rear light for half that money.
On balance, I think I'm with the scrimpers on this one.

Maz

Guru
STOP! Don't throw away grannie's false gnashers once she's popped her clogs! They make excellent pastry-cutters! Mmmmmmm.