Cycling times

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Walshy, 8 Aug 2012.

1. Walshy

Walshy Regular

Well I'm new to cycling and not been on a bike for probably 12 years and would say my fitness levels are not the best. I have been cycling now for 6 weeks doing 20 miles a day ( from glossop to Stockport ) I can do the commute in 37 minutes. My question is, is that a good time ?

Thanks
    Mike.

2. compo

compo Veteran

I assume you mean one way (10 miles) in 37 minutes. A shade over 16mph average. After 6 weeks that's not bad although I don't know how old you are or what your route is like.

3. Maylian

Maylian Senior Member

I assume it's 10 miles each way rather than a single run of 20 miles. Either way depending on the route and hills I would say that 37 minutes is a reasonable time for 10 miles.

4. OP
    OP
    Walshy

Walshy Regular

I'm 30 this month :-) my route has a few sleep hills and mottram moor (A57) probably being the hardest to cycle up as its the first thing I hit in the morning. Yeah that's correct its 20 miles in total a day , 10 miles each way. Well I hope to bring the time down even more, when I first started it was taking me an hour :-)

5. mr_hippo

mr_hippo Living Legend & Old Fart

As my late wife used to say "Cycle for pleasure not measure; you will eventually reached your optimum level - do not worry about it.

6. defy-one

defy-one Guest

That's about right for most riders. What sort of bike and your weight will have some bearing aswell

7. OP
    OP
    Walshy

Walshy Regular

Very true , I do cycle for the pleasure but its just nice to see that my fitness level has improved :-).

8. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

That's pretty quick considering the lumpy nature of the route. Are you posting similar times on the return leg or is it taking a little longer?

9. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

By the way, glad to hear you have stuck at this and seem to be enjoying it. If you are considering the journey times I would say the bug has well and truely bitten!

10. OP
    OP
    Walshy

Walshy Regular

It takes me 37 minutes from glossop to Stockport and 42 minutes from Stockport to glossop. These times are when I'm recharged as well as I cycle 5 days a week and come Thursday/Friday my legs are feeling the pressure :-).

11. OP
    OP
    Walshy

Walshy Regular

Yeah to be honest I enjoy it more than I thought I would and like you said I have well and truly been bitten by the bug.

12. It all depends what you are comparing it to. The competition record for 10 miles is under 18 minutes, so in that sense it is not a good time. As others have said - if you are a new rider and only riding for fitness, then speed is the last thing you should be considering right now...

13. I would have thought those times are very respectable knowing what the roads are like in your area.

Wish I could cycle 10 miles in 37 minutes, more like an hour but I am slightly older than you are as I have a daughter who is 25.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice