Cycling times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Walshy

Regular
Well I'm new to cycling and not been on a bike for probably 12 years and would say my fitness levels are not the best. I have been cycling now for 6 weeks doing 20 miles a day ( from glossop to Stockport ) I can do the commute in 37 minutes. My question is, is that a good time ?

Thanks
Mike.

compo

Veteran
I assume you mean one way (10 miles) in 37 minutes. A shade over 16mph average. After 6 weeks that's not bad although I don't know how old you are or what your route is like.

Maylian

Veteran
I assume it's 10 miles each way rather than a single run of 20 miles. Either way depending on the route and hills I would say that 37 minutes is a reasonable time for 10 miles.

OP
OP
W

Walshy

Regular
I'm 30 this month :-) my route has a few sleep hills and mottram moor (A57) probably being the hardest to cycle up as its the first thing I hit in the morning. Yeah that's correct its 20 miles in total a day , 10 miles each way. Well I hope to bring the time down even more, when I first started it was taking me an hour :-)

defy-one

That's about right for most riders. What sort of bike and your weight will have some bearing aswell

OP
OP
W

Walshy

Regular
Very true , I do cycle for the pleasure but its just nice to see that my fitness level has improved :-).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
By the way, glad to hear you have stuck at this and seem to be enjoying it. If you are considering the journey times I would say the bug has well and truely bitten!

OP
OP
W

Walshy

Regular
It takes me 37 minutes from glossop to Stockport and 42 minutes from Stockport to glossop. These times are when I'm recharged as well as I cycle 5 days a week and come Thursday/Friday my legs are feeling the pressure :-).

OP
OP
W

Walshy

Regular
Yeah to be honest I enjoy it more than I thought I would and like you said I have well and truly been bitten by the bug.

My question is, is that a good time ?

It all depends what you are comparing it to. The competition record for 10 miles is under 18 minutes, so in that sense it is not a good time. As others have said - if you are a new rider and only riding for fitness, then speed is the last thing you should be considering right now...

videoman

Guru
I would have thought those times are very respectable knowing what the roads are like in your area.

Wish I could cycle 10 miles in 37 minutes, more like an hour but I am slightly older than you are as I have a daughter who is 25.

Top Bottom