cycling to have new car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coolchef

I have been cycling to work on my bike(s) twice a week for about 18 months now it is a 28 mile round trip. A nice route as it in Richmondshire/Hambleton area of north Yorkshire.I have do have a passion for nice cars as well so was toying with the idea that as i commute twice a week and o approx 7000 miles a year in car could upgrade.
So have gone and brought myself a new 1 series M140i it really is a wolf in sheeps clothing, ave 29 mpg & 340 bhp but my cycling and lowish annual mileage makes it a useable daily car
Just wondering if any one else has done this or is thinking about it.
To me i get the best of both worlds love cycling have 2 bikes a Cannondale 2013 Synapse and a 2016 Raleigh mustang comp, doing about 2500 - 3000 miles a year on them combined and now i have my m140i which gives me as much fun in a different way.
m140i.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
I've done the opposite. Gone for the most microscopic, least polluting car I could manage in the name of minimising the damage im personally doing to the planet. I've just had the green light from Mrs D to get a new electric Smart, so the petrol one will go in the new year.

And you know what? I haven't had so much fun with my clothes on. It's so terrifying it's hilarious.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Having not been able to commute on the bike due to a driver mashing me up, my current car is a bit rubbish on fuel in traffic, and being manual it hurts my back on the clutch. I have, however spotted that I could get a hybrid of a similar size to mine, made by the posher make of my car, that will double the mpg in town, but it has 360hp and over 400lb of torque. Even better, as no-one knows much about them in the UK, the depreciation is insane. A 45k car is just 22k in 12 months. I think I could quite fancy a nearly new Infinity Q50S hybrid with a 3.5 V6. Only down side, boot loses a foot behind rear seats and seats dont fold (the battery sits there) Plus side, my bike rack will still fit on roof.

Otherwise I may get one of those 220 M Sport Grand Tourer vans to chuck the bikes in the back...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have been cycling to work on my bike(s) twice a week for about 18 months now it is a 28 mile round trip. A nice route as it in Richmondshire/Hambleton area of north Yorkshire.I have do have a passion for nice cars as well so was toying with the idea that as i commute twice a week and o approx 7000 miles a year in car could upgrade.
So have gone and brought myself a new 1 series M140i it really is a wolf in sheeps clothing, ave 29 mpg & 340 bhp but my cycling and lowish annual mileage makes it a useable daily car
To me i get the best of both worlds love cycling have 2 bikes a Cannondale 2013 Synapse and a 2016 Raleigh mustang comp, doing about 2500 - 3000 miles a year on them combined and now i have my m140i which gives me as much fun in a different way.
View attachment 438273

PS your bikes are supposed to be worth more than the car, you are doing it wrong.

tom73

Guru
We are doing down to one car soon as we just no longer need two. Can't cycle to work but can work round having one car. Will save all around too with cheeper insurance and fuel not that the Yaris is too costly but the Aygo runs on very little in comparison.

View attachment 438273
Its the eternal dilemma my friend...eco sustainable 2 wheels vs planet harming 4 wheels. What to do? Some CC'ers would baulk at your Beemer but having cycled extensively around North Yorkshire and blatted around said county in a couple of M3's over a 5 year period, both have their moments. It was on the bike that i really appreciated the beauty of that place.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
It's a BMW so ..... They are the only cars that seem to have odd gearing as every time I'm overtaken by one they need to drop it to second gear and rev the nuts off it to demonstrate their (lack off) sexual prowess or something.
Also it BMW drivers are the only ones that give me hassle on the trikes , even white van man and taxis treat me really well while on those.

Second also it's "29 mpg or 340 bhp" never at the same time

Drago

Legendary Member
29mpg is horrific when one considers the dwindling hydrocarbon resources and environmental impact.

I'm not going to preach, you're a grown up, but some folk here and there don't seem to have cottoned on that such frivolities are fast becoming as acceptable as passive smoking. Enjoy it if thats your thing, but I wouldn't be harping on about it myself in the current climate (nice pun, eh?)

beepbeep

I have a two year old Range Monster as my wife calls it..She hates driving it as she can't see where she's going in ASDA car park despite it being fitted with cameras in the mirrors, front bumper, rear bumper, sides of bumper...sensors all over the place....It sits in the garage most of the week gathering dust....unless we go away on holiday when she likes being chauffeured about.

Top Bottom