cycling to have new car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Nice Scooby!

Thanks, declared SORN and on the drive as I sort of ran out of money putting kids through uni etc.....

Slick

Guru
I have been cycling to work on my bike(s) twice a week for about 18 months now it is a 28 mile round trip. A nice route as it in Richmondshire/Hambleton area of north Yorkshire.I have do have a passion for nice cars as well so was toying with the idea that as i commute twice a week and o approx 7000 miles a year in car could upgrade.
So have gone and brought myself a new 1 series M140i it really is a wolf in sheeps clothing, ave 29 mpg & 340 bhp but my cycling and lowish annual mileage makes it a useable daily car
Just wondering if any one else has done this or is thinking about it.
To me i get the best of both worlds love cycling have 2 bikes a Cannondale 2013 Synapse and a 2016 Raleigh mustang comp, doing about 2500 - 3000 miles a year on them combined and now i have my m140i which gives me as much fun in a different way.
View attachment 438273

Your commute sounds similar to mine although I try to get 3 of them in on a week in the summer and twice in winter. Whilst I know my choice won't be popular on here, I too have always had a penchant for nice cars even if I don't put the miles on them that would justify that choice. My drug of choice for the past 9 years now has been the Jaguar XF Sport which never fails to put a smile on my face and every time I get in it I can't help but appreciate the quality of the finish and the smooth drive it provides. I Will be due to change mine early next year but there is no real alternative that I would spend any cash on just yet, so may have to sit for a while to see what advancements come on to the market as the year goes on.

As an aside, I was typing this as i was watching the news as they reported on Hinkley Point, and there is more than us that still has some work to do to improve our green credentials.

D

Deleted member 1258

I was car free for over 30 years, I drove hire cars company vans and small lorries, these days I run a 7 year old Suzuki Swift, 45-50mpg most of the time and enough urge to keep up with traffic, a good pensioners run about.

D

Deleted member 26715

Having said hello, the OP spends almost seven years thinking about what to post on a cycling forum, then decides to boast about his car. :wacko:
Other than deriding the OP is there a point to your post? I know there are numerous rules on the forum but is there a specific one that states members hove to post so many posts a year?

D

Deleted member 26715

Is there a rule that says only you can express an opinion?
Yes if all you are doing is insulting a fellow member

D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 5439173, member: 9609"]I wonder what it is in the human psyche that makes cars so important, [/QUOTE]
Why do people like football, golf, bicycles, motorbikes, The Beatles, One Direction, sticking things in holes?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5439226, member: 9609"]there just seems something disproportionate in the obsession with cars though. So many people devoting so much of their lives and money to the car they drive, nothing wrong with hobbies and pass times but for so many people to be obsessed with cars - I'm curious as to why.

[/QUOTE]
Only a small percentage of motorists are obsessed with their cars. Most owners simply regard them as white goods, drive them to where they want to go, park up and forget about them. I belong to two popular motoring forums for when I need technical advice and neither are as busy as this place or Bikeradar.

There are more "Enthusiasts" among cyclists than there are among motorists.

D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 5439226, member: 9609"]there just seems something disproportionate in the obsession with cars football/cycle though. So many people devoting so much of their lives and money to the car football/cycle they drive, nothing wrong with hobbies and pass times but for so many people to be obsessed with cars football/cycle - I'm curious as to why.[/quote]

[QUOTE 5439226, member: 9609"]There can be no pleasure in driving now, so what's it all about?[/QUOTE]
Why can't there be, I still enjoy driving, but I really enjoy driving on a track

Top Bottom