Cycling To Work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Sorry, Liam, I might not have been clear.

When I said "you should be looking for a road bike", I was not suggesting that you should get dropped bars.

You can get road bikes with flat bars, such as the Specialized Sirrus which give you that upright position but they are road bikes so they will give you an advantage over the MTB in terms of weight and components used.

The word *spit* "Hybrid" *spit* is completely meaningless when it comes to choosing bikes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I actually agree with Norm as regards to Hybrids (*spit>>>>>>P'Tang!*).
However it does seem to be the norm (cough) these days to describe any flat bar road type bikes as a Hybrid.

Alan Whicker

I returned to full time cycling last year by putting semi slicks on my dear old alu Spesh Hardrock MTB. It was perfectly fine, (in fact 12-14 years ago the Spesh was my primary transport, knobbly tyres and all. I even rode it on the London to Brighton) but as my fitness levels rose I fancied something quicker, so I got a Trek 7.3FX and I haven't looked back. After riding the Trek I can' t believe what a difference it is to ride - it's almost effortless and much quicker. I'm now considering moving on to a full road bike.

The Spesh is now enjoying semi-retirement at my in-laws in Devon.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'm just about to get a Specialized Crosstrail, which, according to the catalogue, is "the only true hybrid on the market".

Make of that what you will, but it does look like a great bike.

Norm,

The specialized sirrus looks like just what im after, ive also looked at the GT Zum (which has been classed as a Hybrid!)

I think im gonna get myself a pair of Schwalbe City Jets and see how i get on first, i really like the look of the sirrus though.

I was looking at buying it on the cycle2work scheme, whats everyones opinions on the scheme?

I just got a sirrus (sport) on the C2W scheme...well pleased with it so far, quite a lot easier to ride then the previous commuter, a Dawes Horizon tourer (still a nice bike!). I decided on a flat bar bike as I simply never used the drops on the horizon (in fact I changed them for butterflies (is that the right term?) a few years ago.

I might get a proper road bike at some point, but the sirrus is good enough for now, and doesnt put me under pressure to perform too much!

g00se

Veteran
One type of "hybrid" to avoid - by the description of your commute - is one with front suspension. The specialized Crosstrail is a nice bike but for long flat roads, you want the lightest, rigid bike you can find - with the narrowest tyres on 700c wheels. With Specialized, that's going to be one of the Sirrus range.

The GT Zum - from what I can see - has 26" mountain bike wheels. Best go with 700Cs.

I've got a Kona Dew Plus. It's got 700Cs but the stock tyres are 37cm. It's great for diving in and out of traffic and potholes but the Sirrus would have it in a sprint. Saying that, I did leave 4 fixies, 2 other 'hybrids' and a road bike at a single set of lights last night.... :smile:

Jumper,

How far is your commute to work and how often do you commute?

Downward

Guru
If I were you (You always need 2 bikes)
Stick with the MTB, Slick Tyres.
Buy a Road Bike (Hybrids are not much lighter than an MTB)

Road bikes are a lot lighter and faster than Hybrids, Trust me I have both !

The Hybrid is used in the Rain, Snow etc, The Road bike is used as much as possible.

Norm

ianrauk said:
I actually agree with Norm as regards to Hybrids (*spit>>>>>>P'Tang!*).
Correcting the world, one person at a time. :laugh:

Liamblink182 said:
Norm,

The specialized sirrus looks like just what im after, ive also looked at the GT Zum (which has been classed as a Hybrid!)
IMO, the Zum shows some of the downsides of the broad definition of the word "hybrid".

I would say that the Zum would make a great trail bike. By that, I mean that its environment mixes roads, cycle paths, single-track and tow paths. As g00se says, it has 26" wheels and it comes with off-road components (Shimano Deore gearing and disk brakes) and neither mudguard nor pannier mounts. Whilst I think disk brakes are good, I would be looking for the larger wheels and the closer gearing of a road bike if it was only going to be used on tarmac.

So, the GT Zum (and the Specialized Crosstrail) are excellent bikes for their environment, but I think that there are more suitable bikes if you aren't heading off the tarmac. For instance, the Sirrus mentioned already or something like this (I can't bring myself to type the name) from Boardman.

Liamblink182 said:
I think im gonna get myself a pair of Schwalbe City Jets and see how i get on first, i really like the look of the sirrus though.
That's the way that I would do it. City Jets can be had for not very much and you'll get a chance to figure out what you want to change from your current bike. :angry:

Liamblink182 said:
I was looking at buying it on the cycle2work scheme, whats everyones opinions on the scheme?
Oh, crap. I think I've already typed too much on this thread. :laugh: It's generally a good idea but the quality of local implementations vary widely. Have a read of this recent thread if you want to read a bit more. :biggrin:

Liamblink182 said:
Jumper,

How far is your commute to work and how often do you commute?

I commute every day, have done for last 6 years regularly...really not far at all, only a couple of miles (though since i got the sirrus I've been going the long way home, about 5 miles) but also use it at the weekends for fitness / er, cyclo-rambling (!)...20-50 mile rides normally...looking at upping that now though...aiming for first 100 miler this summer.

Top Bottom