Cycling To Work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
This is a recumbent - more expensive & more comfortable than a regular (upright bike)

http://bicycleapparel.com/images/bent/recumbent.jpg

Recumbent riders swear by them.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Downward said:
If I were you (You always need 2 bikes)
Stick with the MTB, Slick Tyres.
Buy a Road Bike (Hybrids are not much lighter than an MTB)

Road bikes are a lot lighter and faster than Hybrids, Trust me I have both !

The Hybrid is used in the Rain, Snow etc, The Road bike is used as much as possible.

We're back on definitions aren't we! My "hybrid" weighs 9 kg. My XC Hardtail weighs 11 kg. Generalisations don't help.

OP, get a Boardman Hybrid . It's a flat barred bike with 700c wheels and disc brakes, so it goes like stink and stops on a sixpence.

It goes a good deal faster than my XC hardtail even with City Jets on.

Downward

Guru
Cubist said:
We're back on definitions aren't we! My "hybrid" weighs 9 kg. My XC Hardtail weighs 11 kg. Generalisations don't help.

OP, get a Boardman Hybrid . It's a flat barred bike with 700c wheels and disc brakes, so it goes like stink and stops on a sixpence.

It goes a good deal faster than my XC hardtail even with City Jets on.

How heavy though on your MTB are the tyres ? And how much will a 9kg Hybrid Cost ? I know mine is 27lbs and cost £500

Cubist

Still wavin'
Boardman Comp is 23.8 lb (10.79kg) and costs £499. The 21.2lb Pro is £849 this year.

MTB is on Continental Slash rear, Schwalbe Nobby Nic front. Lightish trail tyres. Just weighed it, it's actually 11.8kg with Crank Bros eggbeaters, and bar ends on.

decca234uk

Putting slick tyres on your bike will make a big difference to its speed on the road, but if you're going to cycle to work on a regular basis I think I'd invest in a road bike, you've then got the best of both worlds. A mountain bike for off roading and a road bike for comutting and road cycling.

You will be saving money by travelling to work on a bike so why not invest it in a bike that will give you speed and comfort.

tmcd35

Hi Liam,

I used to ride a MTB to work. 10 miles through city traffic. Full Sus, 26" knobbly tyres. It was painful! I averaged a mear 7mph and was is not fit condition to start work once I got there.

That was a few years ago, and when I started cycing again last year I revisited that bike and my old route to work - wish I never.

Thankfully that bike got stolen and I was forced to buy a new bike through cycle to work. I got a Felt QX75 (hybrid?). 700c wheels, slick(er) tyres, and non suspension. She flies and is an absolute dream to ride. Just completed a 50mile ride on her and enjoyed it.

My ride to work now is 15miles through country lanes. I'm averaging at around 12mph and when I get to work a look more like I've just taken a walk to the shop than tried to swim through treacle for 2 hours.

In short, get the 'hybrid' you won't regret it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Downward said:
If I were you (You always need 2 bikes)
Stick with the MTB, Slick Tyres.
Buy a Road Bike (Hybrids are not much lighter than an MTB)

Road bikes are a lot lighter and faster than Hybrids, Trust me I have both !

The Hybrid is used in the Rain, Snow etc, The Road bike is used as much as possible.

I am the same i use my subway 1 as a winter/bad weather commuter and the road bike when its ok.
I find about 5 mins difference over a 10 mile commute between the 2.Stick slicks on your current bike for now and use it till you decide what your next step will be.
Keep your old bike as a back-up bike (that`s how i convinced mrsCK) that i need 2 bikes ......

chugsy

I think the OP needs to consider the condition of their route - I bagged a cheap Giant Escape R1 through the Cyclescheme and although it is undeniabley quicker than my old MTB over smooth tarmac I loose so much
speed over the rough stuff that I haven't improved my commute time at all.

I can't bomb over potholes anymore and rough tarmac is enough to loosen my teeth - I can't even begin to imagine how roadies with their super thin tyres handle UK roads.

A recent ride around Rutland Water on the old bike felt like a magic carpet ride - comfort is so under rated!

I ride 10 miles each way over road and shared pavement cyclepath.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I like the Spesh Cirrus, there's about 5 of them parked up at work on any given day. I'd also consider the Giant FCR which from looking at one at work, is exactly the same as my SCR A1 mainly carbon racer but with disc brakes, lower gearing and flat bars.

Top Bottom