Cycling To Work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
CharlieB said:
That has long puzzled me, too…

Stay away from anything metal, ever!!! If it's wet, cycle very, very, very nervously!! It's easy really.

All kudos to the guys that go past me at about 30mph in the rain, I haven't the nerve to do it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
decca234uk said:
You will be saving money by travelling to work on a bike so why not invest it in a bike that will give you speed and comfort.

I worked out for a 10 mile each way trip even with the amount i spend on spares ,fairly cheap options like aldi clothes and pretty much all maintenance
i can do myself i save £700 a year in petrol.

The 1st 2 years were the most expensive i have 2 bikes, a set of clothes for every day,tools,waterproofs,winter clothes etc .I reckon that i have started saving money :wacko:

Downward

Guru
Cubist said:
Boardman Comp is 23.8 lb (10.79kg) and costs £499. The 21.2lb Pro is £849 this year.

MTB is on Continental Slash rear, Schwalbe Nobby Nic front. Lightish trail tyres. Just weighed it, it's actually 11.8kg with Crank Bros eggbeaters, and bar ends on.

Boardman Comp is a bargain then, The equivalent priced Giant, Trek, Kona, etc etc all top the scales at 27lb, My roadbike weights 10kg without pedals.

al78

Guru
chugsy said:
I can't even begin to imagine how roadies with their super thin tyres handle UK roads.

I have found that a carbon fork makes a difference here. I commute a similar distance to the OP on country lanes and I find it is not too bad, it is usually possible to pick a way through the worst of the surface irregularities.

bauldbairn

Norm said:
The word *spit* "Hybrid" *spit* is completely meaningless when it comes to choosing bikes.

+1....agree 100%, there are so many mixes/variations/crossovers the word "Hybrid" is now virtually useless as Norm says the marketing men use it on any "grey area" bike.

Top Bottom