Cycling trousers, not tights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Metal8

That's Dad that is!
As title suggests, I have tights but looking for trousers, not over trousers but ones you wear as per jeans but with cycling fit.
Any suggestions around the under £50 mark?

Thanks

Last edited:

Tim Hall

Fifty notes might be tricky, although M&S did cycling chinos last year for a bargainiceous £12.00. I've got a pair of Swrve jeans, which are getting a bit tatty, but are a good cut for cycling. Reflective strip inside the right leg, which becomes visible when the leg is rolled up a la tragic hipster. £80 last time I looked.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you can tolerate ankle clips, I'm finding M&S's current ultra-light chinos OK for cycling but I've only had them a few months. I went for the ultra-light because the ordinary ones seemed to have too chunky a seam bundle in the crotch, which is a common problem with trousers these days now that few people walk or cycle. I think they were £20 to £30.

In a similar price range were some Coolmax chinos from M&S's Blue Harbour range. Not as good - they're already going shiny under the bum and the pockets almost require you to dislocate your wrists to access them while riding.
Fifty notes might be tricky, although M&S did cycling chinos last year for a bargainiceous £12.00.
They started off much dearer. As well as a shower-resistant fabric, thicker pockets (anyone else find the riding action wears pockets out by rubbing over your thighs repeatedly?), slim fit and ineffective ankle-poppers to stop them going in the chain so easily, they had a pad over the seam junction, which is a mixed blessing akin to using a saddle with deeper padding in the centre. It's not enough pad to make it push on most of my saddles, though, so they're still in use.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Fifty notes might be tricky, although M&S did cycling chinos last year for a bargainiceous £12.00. I've got a pair of Swrve jeans, which are getting a bit tatty, but are a good cut for cycling. Reflective strip inside the right leg, which becomes visible when the leg is rolled up a la tragic hipster. £80 last time I looked.

Its sounds something Masonic. Is there a Masonic cycling club?

GJT

Über Member
If you're a Small or XL, then I can recommend these. On offer at £39.49. Although they are described as Summer, I think they'll be fine for most of the year when it's dry

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/vulpine-summer-trouser

djb1971

Legendary Member
Go and take a look at somewhere like Cotswold Outdoor. I wear trekking trousers when I'm bike packing and it's going to be cold or a high tick risk.

I just pop a padded bib tight underneath or a padded short liner and I'm good for miles. They're fairly tight at the ankle and I've never had a chainring-trouser incident. If they get a bit oily I don't care, they're for the bike trips.

Mentioning M&S, I was bike packing around Scotland last year and ripped a pair of my troosers*. I headed into Inverness and purchased a pair of M&Ss own cotton troosers. I think they called them pull on troosers, with a zipped boot ankle. They were great and only £12 on sale. Lightweight and dried easily. Unfortunately I fell of wearing them in Wales and made a large bumhole split, my wife made me put them in the bin before I made an ass of myself.

* that's what they're called in Inverness

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As a casual look trouser for cycling, how about the Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Stretch? Cargo trouser style with zip fastened hip pockets and a thigh pocket and they do what it says in the title - slightly stretch material so they move with you when cycling. My preferred winter commuting trouser.

02d0f70ef10d9306f0738fa575e93ae4.jpg

Top Bottom