Cycling trousers, not tights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toontra

Veteran
I've taken to buying skinny jeans. Perfect for cycling (no problem with chainrub and comfortable if they have stretchy fabric), look fine off the bike (on me anyway!), easily available and cheap.

freiston

Veteran
Get the right size bands, or some like those pound-shop snap-wraps which cope with any size.
I use the '100 Snap On' from Decathlon - plenty big enough (4 x 44 cm), effective and very comfy

vickster

Legendary Member
They aren't really like jeans more tights or joggers? Not smart casual work attire for an office say. Thread title specifies trousers not tights :smile:

jim55

Guru
Ok I just thought it was non tights he wanted , I wear these over padded shorts for commuting when it's chilly and look semi normal lol

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes I do the same with altura winter cruisers, but they aren't fit for wearing at work. That said nor are jeans in my new job

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
02d0f70ef10d9306f0738fa575e93ae4.jpg

They're the wrong trousers for cycling.

I'll get my jacket:

WALLICE_AND_GROMIT_TOASTIE_LITE_JACKET_FRONT.jpg

Debenhams often game often do Craghopper Kiwis at half price.

AnthonyC

Regular
Endura has some nice ones indeed. Their Singletrack II looks good, although it is a bit over the £50 mark (unless you find a good discount somewhere). Fox Wilson has really nice ones, completely casual but yet tailored to ride a bike. Again, they are a bit over your £50 mark..

toontra

Veteran
I find The Gap jeans have enough elastane (lycra ) in then to make cycling up to about to about 15 miles ok. I just roll up the right leg.

As I said upthread, I find stretch skinny jeans ideal for cycling - don't even have to roll up the leg as they taper in at the lower calf/ankle. H&M are the best cut for me. Under £20.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As a casual look trouser for cycling, how about the Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Stretch? Cargo trouser style with zip fastened hip pockets and a thigh pocket and they do what it says in the title - slightly stretch material so they move with you when cycling. My preferred winter commuting trouser.

I ordered a pair of these and they arrived today. Sizing is definitely not flattering like M+S - I could wear these without a belt and they're slightly cozy around the thigh and I'm no Chris Hoy. The fabric is like a denser Rohan Stronghold, so I suspect will be OK to wear all-year in Norfolk except the coldest winter days. It's "solarscreen" but not as thick as my coolmax trousers. I'm hoping that they do stretch as well as reported, else they're not going to be great for cycling in.

But I'm debating with myself whether to send them back because there are several loose thread ends around the right knee. The actual stitched join seems stable so I doubt they'd be a problem on the inside. Is there a relatively easy and flawless way to pull the ends through Craghoppers Kiwi fabric? Will the trick of a loop of thin sewing cotton pulling them through work like on cotton or do you think the thread is too thick or weave too fine to get a needle back through the same hole?

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I haven't received mine yet, although I got a refund for the socks I ordered as well. I hope this means my trousers and other bits are on the way.

Reactions: mjr

freiston

Veteran
I ordered a pair of these and they arrived today. Sizing is definitely not flattering like M+S - I could wear these without a belt and they're slightly cozy around the thigh and I'm no Chris Hoy. The fabric is like a denser Rohan Stronghold, so I suspect will be OK to wear all-year in Norfolk except the coldest winter days. It's "solarscreen" but not as thick as my coolmax trousers. I'm hoping that they do stretch as well as reported, else they're not going to be great for cycling in.

But I'm debating with myself whether to send them back because there are several loose thread ends around the right knee. The actual stitched join seems stable so I doubt they'd be a problem on the inside. Is there a relatively easy and flawless way to pull the ends through Craghoppers Kiwi fabric? Will the trick of a loop of thin sewing cotton pulling them through work like on cotton or do you think the thread is too thick or weave too fine to get a needle back through the same hole?
I gave up on Craghoppers because the quality is so hit and miss - puckered fly plackets, dodgy stitching, material sewn too close the the fabric edge (cut too lean before the stitch). They used to be good but just too shoddy - it really is a game of chance whether you get something decent or not.

Top Bottom