Cycling under the influence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@raleighnut that sounds like a really crap situation to be in :sad:
Yep it was, I'd hoped they'd catch the driver turns out all the 'plod' wanted was a 'result'. :rolleyes:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As a student we had been having a kitchen party in the student halls. We had all got lashed and were hungry. I volunteered to ride to the curry house. I didn’t make it back, the take away bag on my handlebars catching in my wheel spokes and turning the bars, crashing into a (unlit) bollard between the road and university campus. The curry spilled out all over me. I then fell asleep and woke up cold when a policeman of foot patrol came across me lying there covered in by now cold curry. I still wasn’t sober and he politely suggested I walked the remaining short distance back into campus.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Is it actually illegal to ride a bike with a very high blood alcohol level? I thought you could only be nicked for riding recklessly or dangerously? I also believe that The Bill have no right to demand a breath or blood test.

This could be all wrong of course.

EDIT: Apparently the key legal point is being" under the influence of drugs or alcohol to an extent where they cannot properly control the bicycle".

Last edited:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Is it actually illegal to ride a bike with a very high blood alcohol level? I thought you could only be nicked for riding recklessly or dangerously? I also believe that The Bill have no right to demand a breath or blood test.

This could be all wrong of course.

EDIT: Apparently the key legal point is being" under the influence of drugs or alcohol to an extent where they cannot properly control the bicycle".
That’s my understanding too. A rare TMN to me I think :smile:

As a student we had been having a kitchen party in the student halls. We had all got lashed and were hungry. I volunteered to ride to the curry house. I didn’t make it back, the take away bag on my handlebars catching in my wheel spokes and turning the bars, crashing into a (unlit) bollard between the road and university campus. The curry spilled out all over me. I then fell asleep and woke up cold when a policeman of foot patrol came across me lying there covered in by now cold curry. I still wasn’t sober and he politely suggested I walked the remaining short distance back into campus.
a policeman on footpatrol?
How long ago was that?
Have only ever seen such things in very posh bits of London.
(oligarchs do like their law and order/british tradition)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
a policeman on footpatrol?
How long ago was that?
Have only ever seen such things in very posh bits of London.
(oligarchs do like their law and order/british tradition)

The 80s and York

D

Deleted member 26715

Who are these Police that you speak of, where can they be found?

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Reminds me of a similar story of my own. We'd had quite a well refreshed evening and had adjourned to someone's house afterwards and naturally enough fancied something to eat. I offered to fetch a large pan of curry back from my own digs and borrowed the guy's bike to get there quicker, it was 10 minutes walk after all. Anyhow I'm cycling back holding a large saucepan of curry in one hand, taking a cut through a no-cycling walkway, which was a bit of a chicane and I fell off. I managed to hold onto the curry and keep it upright, so the day was saved, and we all did get to eat. Happy days !

Most vintage bike rides I’ve ever done, Eroica, Retro Ronde, La Savoureuse, have involved wine, beer or even spirits at the feed stations. Anjou vélo vintage is perhaps the worst, or best, with a potential half a dozen glasses of wine in the course of 40km. Thankfully there is a lot of off road away from traffic.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've a few hundred times cycled home in states of mild, extreme or even overwhelming refreshment. The only problems I've had involved other people falling onto me...
Cycling back after a distinctly :cheers: evening with @theclaud of this parish, I managed to avoid crashing into a playground, the sea, a river and Swansea in general. Other obstacles may well have been available.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm extremely offended by this notification.

Top Bottom