Cycling using arms and legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Let me get one thing straight - I like the concept, like the look, and would love a go!

However, the problem for me is that you are focusing on it as a concept for a full body workout, which it undoubtably is. However, if buying it purely for this fact, it may be better as a stationary exercise bike, as then you instantly cure everyone's fears of safety, stability etc.

If meant as a bike you actually take out on the road, then IMO (unqualified!) it needs a different selling point, can it go significantly faster than a leg only bike, does it make hill climbing easier - something like that would then be appealing to the masses. You should also consider filming a video from 'outside' the bike with someone steering/manoeuvring to ease people's fears of that, and maybe some sort of chain guard for the upper ring?

I definitely thing the better angle for selling it as a full bike is away from the 'workout' angle. This can be read as 'making it harder'...

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
Thanks Copper,
It could be used as a stationary bike, but the workout would not be as good. The steering alone works your upper chest muscles. I understand the fear and safety issues. The bike needs to be refined to help with some of those, chain guard, fairings etc. Right now just a proof of concept.

There is no question you need to learn how to ride it. Just like snow boarding, surfing, skating, skiing and riding a bike, all learned skills. The benefit is being able to add in an upper body workout. We all know how great the cardio workout is on a bike. If you, or anyone else is out in Southern California, I would be happy to teach you how to ride it.

It is faster, but only a little, and only while you are using your arms and legs. (I believe the heart is the limiting factor here) Your not going to go from 20 mph to 30 mph, but you will go up to 21 or 22 for that period of time that your arms are engaged. And hill climbing is a little faster, 10 -20% and easier as well.
I agree on the video, I have 2 other jobs, so I only get to this one as time allows, but I will have other video and information on the website as time permits.
Thank you again, all great points!

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Well I like the idea...and although from the video I share some of the stability concerns above...I'd like to have ago.

Bottom line is, if its safe, fun and comfortable it should work.

What is it like to ride out of the saddle up a hill???

If I was a dragon I would say you have a very convoluted solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Whilst I thought the idea might have a certain novelty appeal the way you have built it in the video it looks very cumbersome, weighty, and dangerous (especially in the event of an accident or a chain/linkage snapping) Living in the US as you appear to do, I hope you have massive liability insurance.

Sorry I'm out!!

I can't see why it would be any more dangerous than any other form of transport that you have to learn to ride. If I bought and jumped onto a skateboard, and then fell off it I wouldn't consider suing the designer. Mind you, I'm not American!

Also, as the designer is American, it'll be 'Sharks' for him, not 'Dragons'. :biggrin:

I can't see why it would be any more dangerous than any other form of transport that you have to learn to ride. If I bought and jumped onto a skateboard, and then fell off it I wouldn't consider suing the designer. Mind you, I'm not American!

Also, as the designer is American, it'll be 'Sharks' for him, not 'Dragons'. :biggrin:

If one of the rigid connecting rods comes loose or snaps its a ready made spear :laugh: and you also have a chain ring rattling around your knees. If the yanks can sue maccyD's when they burn there mouths on a hot cup of coffee,what chance as this chap got??

col

Legendary Member
I like the idea, maybe a switch to hand that locks the handlebars when your not using them to help pedal. This looks like it could help get up steep hills rather well:thumbsup:

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
Bigona,
It is fun and comfortable, after you learn it. As far as safe that depends on the driver. I ride it anywhere I would ride a regular bike.
Out of the saddle going up a hill you would need to use the regular handle bar. However, I find it easier and faster to use the levers. I plan on making another video as viewed from the outside, hopefully it wont look as scary. It actually handles quite well with the levers.
Old,
Here's the problem as I see it, the bicycle is great for your legs and cardio, but does nothing for your upper body. You could ride and then work out with weights, but that takes a lot of time. I'll be 58 this year, if I can ride a bike for 30 - 40 minutes and get a good total body workout, that fits my schedule. I know it needs to be refined, and its not for everyone. I do appreciate all the input and comments. Thank you.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think David's approach is quite clever. It's not a 'cyclist's bike' in the sense that it's an aid to commuting or touring or even racing. It's a device that makes you fitter, and it's a very ingenious one at that.

For my part David I think that the heart and lungs put a top end on my efforts, and your device wouldn't get me where I'm going any more quickly. I do see muscle development in my arms and shoulders when I cycle a lot, and I'm not convinced that your machine would improve on that.

What I would say is this - I know full well that my bike is a piece of middle-aged male jewellery. I've got a friend, a perfectly sensible chap, who has bought the Shimano electric gear changer. There's something in cyclists which propels us to spend money. I think, if I might be so bold, David, that you should concentrate less on the mechanics and more on the selling. You live in the world's greatest market for novelties. If you can somehow contrive an image of whole-body exercise that promotes the user in to a different league of being, then you're on to a winner. Take a look at the Rapha ads - perfectly sensible clothing that people are prepared to go in to debt for because they think it gives them that little edge in their quest for cycling cooldom.

At present your webthingy is horrible. I'd take that bike out on to a desert road, stick some tanned MAMIL on it and film it from a high vantage point. Concoct some snazzy graphics. Make it an (obscure) object of desire.

The person who buys it will be a man (almost certainly) alone. An individualist. A keeper of his own flame (who writes this shoot?). Not part of the herd. Why not bear this in mind when you contrive your pitch?

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
Col,
The levers will stay neutral if you use equal pressure. The horizontal bar they rotate on has plenty of support.
Dellzeqq,
I agree, the website is pretty basic. I threw it together for a point of reference, it will get up dated, along with new videos and photos as it develops. You are completely correct on the type of person who would buy it. I like your idea, hope you don't mind if I use it. Stay tuned for a tanned mamil on a desert road. One of my jobs is aerial photography www.aerialphotoshop.com should have no trouble getting the high vantage point. Thanks again, appreciate all the input!

400bhp

Guru
The person who buys it will be a man (almost certainly) alone. An individualist. A keeper of his own flame (who writes this shoot?). Not part of the herd. Why not bear this in mind when you contrive your pitch?

^_^

So, the Korbike will become another TEWD.

crowley

Regular
I invented a bicycle that uses your arms as well as your legs. I find it to be a great total body workout and plan to bring it to production. I would like to hear any and all comments you might have. I have a short video here. www.korbike.com Thank you.

I invented a new pedalling technique that makes maximal use of the arm muscles while using standard bicycle equipment and the natural seated racing drops or hoods position. It has three main benefits, it enables a rider to start his power stroke at 11 o'c with the equivalent of 2 o'c crank torque, increasing to maximal torque as crank moves through 12, 1, 2 and 3 o'c. The arms supply the resistance to counteract that applied forward force between 11 and 1 o'c, supporting all upper body weight and eliminating the root cause of ''on the bike'' lower back pain in the process. The dead spot sector is also completely eliminated. This is the ideal ITT pedalling style. I believe your style of pedaling using arms and legs would result in a much weaker less effective downstroke.

Top Bottom