Cycling using arms and legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
I do not actually cycle for exercise at all and do not need to manage my weight. I cycle for no other reason than I really enjoy it and its ultimately one of the fastest ways to get around the area where I live.
I do spend time in the gym as I find I get better results targeting specific area's with functional exercises such as 'Turkish Getup's' 'pull ups and dips' . I also have a history of back problems as such am unsure if this product offers anything which may improve the strength of my back or impact it in a negative manner.

As cycling is my enjoyment I spend quite a bit of money on it, in general if its light I buy it, if its exotic looking I buy it, if its interesting I buy it... This product lacks that desirable factor, it concerns me from a safety perspective more than it interests me and I do not think it has performance potential. It is for this reason I think that perhaps your potential market are the people who watch shopping channels and similar and want a quick, fun, easy way to the perfect body rather than cycling enthusiasts.

V, There is no question that working at the gym is better for targeting areas, and I don't think the Korbike would help much with your back, although I does work on your abs a little more than a regular bike. I agree, most of the users will have the bike in a training stand, where I use it most of the time, for a quick, convenient work out. "people who want a quick, fun, easy way to the perfect body rather than the cycling enthusiasts" I believe you are right, and you are a much better writer than I am. Thanks, David

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
As your company is big enough to have a helipad and its name on a skyscraper, you obviously don't need our help. :whistle:

Seriously, although I am unlikely to buy one, the post from last year that said why not just use it as an exercise bike is missing something. Some people (like me) don't have the strength of mind to keep cycling for 30 mins in the garage, but will happily do an hour on the roads (especially if California sunshine could be supplied along with the bike!). And I don't go to a gym, so my arms are as girly and puny as you might imagine. So there is a point to having this contraption on an outdoor bike.

However the video seems to show that:
- locking and unlocking the mechanism is not something you can do on the move
- if locked, the hand levers are continually moving
- the alternative to having your hands on the moving levers is to use the very narrow alternative handlebar in the middle
- it looks as if this small bar and the rest of the mechanism would prevent you using what were the original handgrips at the end of the main bar.

It is this last point that would concern me if I was thinking of having one - I normally ride a drop bar bike, and sometimes ride with my hands in the middle, but most often on the hoods or the drops. If I came to a stretch of road where I wasn't happy steering on the moving bars, I don't think I'd be happy steering on the narrow alternative bar either. There's a reason that mountain bikes have relatively wide bars...

Spinney,
Thank you for your thoughts on this. There is a one way bearing on the lower sprocket, when the pin is unlocked, the only time the levers engage is when you use them, so you can use the pedals and have the levers stationary, a little like the position of the hoods.. The only other option I have right now, is bar extensions. When I ride the bike on the road I use extensions. I will usually start out of the saddle, and use the levers to get up to speed. Once I am in the top gear I will drop to the bar extensions and just use my legs until the speed drops, then either stand up or remain seated and use the levers to bring the speed up again. The narrow bar on the bike in the video, does work for steering, but is used mostly in the trainer. Thanks, David

muzzmf

Yes I am also a cyclist and it's good to be cyclist, you never need to go to a gym for fitness and also there is no need to follow any fitness plan if you using bicycle in your daily routine.

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
muzzmf, I agree, I believe cycling to be the best cardio exercise available. However, just from the technical aspect, do you see any benefit by adding your arms in the exercise? Thanks

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
User,
the system, push and pull levers to rotate a sprocket and chain that drives torque to your pedals. "How it works" refers to how to start using the bike. I agree it, could be worded better. Thanks

Custom24

Über Member
For me, cycling is the only form of exercise which I've ever positively enjoyed and stuck to. If my upper body had the tone that my legs have developed over the last year, I'd be really happy.

I'd be really, really interested in this if it turned out to be suitable for commuting, ideally cross-country MTB style! That might be a bit too much to ask for, but I wish you every success.

Mark

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
For me, cycling is the only form of exercise which I've ever positively enjoyed and stuck to. If my upper body had the tone that my legs have developed over the last year, I'd be really happy.

I'd be really, really interested in this if it turned out to be suitable for commuting, ideally cross-country MTB style! That might be a bit too much to ask for, but I wish you every success.

Mark

Thanks Mark,
MTB is in the works. It's not going to be for the real rough stuff, because of the leverage needed, but it should make for a fun ride.

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
How much does it cost and where can you try before you buy?
Brewer,
Right now just a few prototypes in Southern California. No price yet. However, if anyone is in, or visiting Southern California and would like to give it a try, I'll make sure its available. Thanks

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
A lightweight single speed with your lever drive system fitted would take the sting out of climbing hills and inclines and would certainly interest me, if the price was right.

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
A lightweight single speed with your lever drive system fitted would take the sting out of climbing hills and inclines and would certainly interest me, if the price was right.

Thanks Short,
Right now there is no price set, so adding gears would be cheaper. It's really more for adding an upper body workout while you ride, though you could use it to sprint up hills faster. Thanks, David

Profpointy

Legendary Member
yebbut..... the amount of power you can generate is limited by how much your lungs and heart can pump through - share this (fixed) amount through arms and legs, and you just are doing just that, sharing the power. Idea is flawed, oh well.

OP
OP
korbike

korbike

Regular
yebbut..... the amount of power you can generate is limited by how much your lungs and heart can pump through - share this (fixed) amount through arms and legs, and you just are doing just that, sharing the power. Idea is flawed, oh well.

"share this (fixed) amount through arms and legs, and you just are doing just that, sharing the power."
Prof,
Exactly, however the point is, its a balanced workout, upper and lower body. The fact that you can sprint faster, is just that your getting more torque to the wheel. You will burn out much faster of course, but you will also be going faster for that period of time. Thanks for the challenge. David

Top Bottom