Cycling vs train: pros and cons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
If I use train, I put on jeans, top, jacket, and go. Oh yeah, and take headphones. Enjoy a movie or audiobook.

If I use bike, well, there's a whole bunch of stuff that needs to be done. Layer up for clothes to get there, have different set of clothes for return journey, shower at end of journey. Find gloves, need hat, ensure lights are charged. Even if this is done the night before (which it isn't), it's still something that needs to be done. And sometimes, doing all that can become a real flamin' chore.

Benefit of cycling is I get exercise. But to me there is no other benefit. But I don't get any elevated feelings of "wow I feel so set up and ready for work after a nice bike ride" because quite frankly, I don't. I enjoy my work enough that I don't need any exercise in the morning to "set me up for the day".

So what are your pros and cons for cycling vs whatever your alternative transport is?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you dont like it dont do it. Just ride when you like.

I like riding my bike. I ride in the sun or in the rain. My commute is 40km a day and I do it most days of the year. I do have a car. Tomorrow I will be in the car as it is - 7 degrees at the moment.

It keeps me fit and I like riding in nature. But maybe I like because it is not the easy option.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The opening post only looks true to me if you live at the train station and so can get there without glove, hat or lights (for me, I have to either cycle or drive to a station - occasionally, a bus is possible but even then, I'll be standing outside at the bus stop and train platform), plus you could reduce the cycling faff by riding a bike with bolted-on lights a little more sedately in street clothes - the riding isn't that much slower and it's still 2x to 3x the speed of walking.

So for me, it's cycling most times, including to the train sometimes.

rossw46

Pro for cycling: I'm cycling

Con for train: I'm not cycling

Very well said, I like that.

My daughter was born 7 months ago, so my cycling has been severely cut down since, but now she's sleeping better, I've hit the cycling hard again, commuting in zero or lower, in the light and darkness, I feel so much happier, sticking it to all the people in the massive queues in their boxes, and the same to all of them in the sardine can that runs on rails, which is often delayed, or cancelled.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I cycle to the train station, fold the bike up and relax for 25 mins. Then at the other end, unfold the bike and ride to work. Overall it's too far to ride and the train/bike combination is perfect for me.

However, I also live in Germany where we have double decker trains and the bike carriage is literally the entire lower deck of one carriage, though in summer it can get insufferably packed.

I like cycling and I am a train nerd so I also like riding on trains.

German trains generally have good cycling provision and it is increasingly free.

I am a very happy camper.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
No travellng time, allowing for late/missed services(bus or train). Used to allow for one of each missing.

Cycling got the same trip, start and finish points, done quicker. With normally only myself to blame. No time allowance for missed/late runners. Had a bit of fun in the process.

Thomson

True. I cycle in all weathers as I took a pay cut to change jobs closer too home. 20 miles to under 3. If it’s really bad or something ok I get picked up but that not very often. It means whatever wage I do make it’s mine. I grudged paying £2.70 on a bus once. So for me cycling was purely for saving money.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The opening post only looks true to me if you live at the train station and so can get there without glove, hat or lights

Quite. My commute is too far to cycle do train us the only option. But I live about 6km from my home station so I usually cycle there, which I do in normal clothes and generally without breaking sweat (except on the days when I’m late setting off so need to hurry).

If my commute were <20km, it would be a no-brainer - a nice sensible bike with mudguards, dynamo lighting and rack, ridden in the clothes I intend to stay in for the day, at a moderate pace.

Top Bottom