Cycling weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Possibly in the wrong place, please feel free to move as appropriate !

I am a member of a 41 club (basically a Round Table old boys club) and this weekend we are holding our first National Cycling Weekend. The name makes it sound a little grander than it is - but we will be hosting a dozen riders from various 41 Clubs around the country. We are hoping to build it to a bigger and better event over the years.

There is a 62 mile ride on Saturday followed by a 34 miler on the Sunday, with the theme being that Northamptonshire is hiller than you think.

Very much looking forward to the weekend, having never arranged anything like this it has been a learning curve and I am sure there will be more to learn before Sunday lunchtime.

Slick

Guru
Sounds like a great idea. All the best, I hope you all have a blast. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
A quick update on the weekend. All went much better than we could have hoped. Saturday's ride was blessed with sunshine, it should have been a 100k but we seemed to have lost a few km from the route. Only 12 riders, but this meant we could stay together as a group, with a couple of coffee breaks along the route. A real mixture of riders, from mountain goats who scoffed at our sad excuses to hills to a rider who had never ridden 100k so was pushing himself. It was his bad luck to be staying with me, so as I insisted we rode to the start and back from the finish he had to add another 10m to his ride !
We lost a few riders for the Sunday ride but this, if anything was even more social. A nice 34 miles, 1 coffee break and managed to dodge the rain.
Feed back on the whole weekend - Friday / Saturday night and Sunday lunch social activities, route planning etc was very positive so we will certainly be running the event again, hopefully with more like 25 / 30 riders.
I spent most of both riders acting as a domestique. making sure no-one was dropped off the back of the group - at least that was my excuse for bimbling around at the back !

upload_2018-8-13_9-8-22.png

A coupe of the Welsh guys had managed to secure a rather special lead out car for Saturday's ride !

upload_2018-8-13_9-9-44.png

Saturday's ride.

upload_2018-8-13_9-10-17.png

Sunday's bimble.

Top Bottom