Cycling weekly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
None at my local supermarket either so had to settle for reading it at my local tesco extra instead :tongue: lucky they still had the one only copy they get in each week.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Don't know about CW; but I stupidly bought a copy of Cycling Active during the week as I was at a BnB and wanted something to read.
I never learn my lesson.... A review of CX bikes, where a Specialized Crux E5 costing £1700 is "a decent first cross bike that you can upgrade in the future".
Complete with pics of said CX bikes being ridden in muddy forests but somehow devoid of a speck of dirt on them, even on the down-tube :rolleyes:.
Perhaps I should have concentrated more on their first rides section, with a review of the BMC SLRO2 at a mere £4300, or Merida Scultura 6000 - a snip at £2750. Makes my most expensive bike seem positively low end budget BSO - a Merida Ride 4000 which with discount, was less than half the price of the Scultura.
I doubt if I'm alone in finding the cycling press to be up their own backsides when it comes to the general tone of their product. And this latest lesson cost me £5.50 :headshake:.

screenman

Legendary Member
No magazine can please all of the people all of the time, I accept with some publications I may not be their target audience.

pawl

Legendary Member
The village paper shop only ever has one copy. It’s usually still on the rack on Saturday so I feel sorry for it Take it from the rack if the words Spotive,power meter review of the best entry bikes for£3000 appear on the front I put it back behind practical chicken keeper.Safe to say I spend more time hiding behind some obscure title than I do buying it.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
People still read magazines. I'm always surprised at this.

And some people still read newspapers, I’m reliably informed.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
People still read magazines. I'm always surprised at this.
It's easier than reading the same publication online and trying to get around the offensive number of ads without alarms going off and another big popup to tell you adlock+ is turned on.

It'll not be getting turned off :laugh:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's been a long time since the Comic was regarded as essential reading by most cyclists. Some years ago I attended a meeting with the editorial team at their Croydon offices, where they resolved to return to being a 'magazine of record'. I don't think it lasted more than a few months.

Having said that, the last issue I bought seemed to be a bit more reportage and less product puffery.

tom73

Guru
It's easier than reading the same publication online and trying to get around the offensive number of ads without alarms going off and another big popup to tell you adlock+ is turned on.

It'll not be getting turned off :laugh:

Readerview on safari sorts that one with one click.

Top Bottom