Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have periods where I can not cycle due to pain

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Pain severely limits my cycling

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Pain has forced me to give up cycling

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
I’ve recently jumped over the 67 spot, Only thing that gets me is pain in right arm if to stretched and back muscles start nagging if I ride with back angled to much ie, on road bike, after an hour or so becomes uncomfortable, I have T2 , so can bonk if I do not fuel up to well , other than that all sorted ! I’ve adapted MTB to suit my preferred position and it’s ok at the mo, I’m looking forward to bikepacking ,

lane

Veteran
Just now I have

1. Wrist still slightly painfull at times due to an off in September. More or less OK now and not a problem on the bike
  2. Flare ups of what I think is called tennis elbow which I think cycling aggravates but does not actually impact on cycling
  3. Slightly dodgy knee since a very hilly rider in November - seems to be more noticeable walking than cycling
Have only done 50km in December so this month will tell what shape I am in having entered the 100km and 50km monthly challenges

Definitely noticed more aches and pains I as get into my late 50s.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have suffered from backache for over 30 years, and cycling can make it much worse, sometimes to the point where I can barely get off the bike at the end of a ride.

When I keep my weight down and do plenty of cycling I can cope with the discomfort, even on hilly rides of 200+ km. Overweight and unfit, I can struggle to do 50 km.

I'm fairly sure that the problem comes from having a left leg about 1.5 cm shorter than the right leg so my pelvis tilts down to the left when I stand still and twists about when walking. If you look at some group photos featuring me on forum rides, you will often be able to see that my left heel is not touching the ground as I am trying to stand up straight. I also don't sit straight when on the bike

When I used Look cleats on my cycling shoes I used to shim the left side and that helped. These days I use MTB type SPD cleats which are not practical to shim. I think the best answer would be to put a left crank on which is about a cm sorter than the right.

The discomfort is now spreading to my neck, which is becoming a safety issue because it is impeding my ability to look over my right shoulder in traffic. Neck exercises would probably help with that.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Im 61 now and cycling stronger and further than ever.

I have toothache at the moment. Does that count? 😁 Otherwise I dont have any pain issues. I think cycling keeps the pain away.

vickster

Legendary Member
The discomfort is now spreading to my neck, which is becoming a safety issue because it is impeding my ability to look over my right shoulder in traffic. Neck exercises would probably help with that.

Download the Reach physio app, very simple neck exercises you can do every day

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have suffered from backache for over 30 years, and cycling can make it much worse, sometimes to the point where I can barely get off the bike at the end of a ride.

When I keep my weight down and do plenty of cycling I can cope with the discomfort, even on hilly rides of 200+ km. Overweight and unfit, I can struggle to do 50 km.

I'm fairly sure that the problem comes from having a left leg about 1.5 cm shorter than the right leg so my pelvis tilts down to the left when I stand still and twists about when walking. If you look at some group photos featuring me on forum rides, you will often be able to see that my left heel is not touching the ground as I am trying to stand up straight. I also don't sit straight when on the bike

When I used Look cleats on my cycling shoes I used to shim the left side and that helped. These days I use MTB type SPD cleats which are not practical to shim. I think the best answer would be to put a left crank on which is about a cm sorter than the right.

Would a different (shorter) crankarm on the left help ?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
No aches or pains. But I do other exercises too. Weights, running, utility walking and stretching.

For all round fitness, it's important to vary one's activity. I cannot stress the importance of resistance exercise for keeping aches at bay.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Would a different (shorter) crankarm on the left help ?
Are you asking...
  • "Would a different (shorter) crankarm on the left help?" in which case you didn't notice that I suggested it in my 4th paragraph! :okay:
  • OR... "Would a different (shorter) crankarm on the left [really] help?" in which case the answer is "Probably" because I accidentally did that on one bike when my left crank broke and I didn't notice that the spare one I put on was 0.5 cm shorter. Some time later I spotted it and realised that my back problem had diminished. I think a 1 cm difference would make a big difference. Trouble is on my best bike I have 17.25 cm cranks so I'd have to find an unusual 16.25 cm left crank to give it a go.

Slick

Guru
At the ripe old age of 56 - I am finding my cycling curtailed by aches and pains - when a bout kicks in - it effects me off the bike for a few weeks - I have to resort to pretty hefty painkillers until it settles down. I do regular yoga and Pilates gym and try to stretch most days. - Yet some people in the club I cycle with ate loads older than me and just seem to be able to cycle as they please - perhaps thats just the genetic lottery !

Just wondered what everyone else does to keep on the bike pain free:-

Usual disclaimers - Its difficult to put an option for every possibility - please feel free to add any comments below
It's an interesting question and one that I have considered many times as I spent more time with my old man and his pals on the golf course and I was interested in how some were like spring chickens and some were half crippled to such an extent they needed a buggy to get round or they would have to prise their own fingers off the club to release it. There was also the wide range of pill popping and angina spray going on supposedly out of earshot of their pals for fear of getting a ribbing for showing any sign of weakness. I came to the conclusion that yes, there is obviously some genetic lottery going on but the real grafters of this world usually paid the highest price the older they got. I feel it was another contributory factor in my change of direction I life as I hope to be like a spring chicken if I ever get to retire. :okay:

Sharky

Guru
It's an interesting question and one that I have considered many times as I spent more time with my old man and his pals on the golf course and I was interested in how some were like spring chickens and some were half crippled to such an extent they needed a buggy to get round or they would have to prise their own fingers off the club to release it. There was also the wide range of pill popping and angina spray going on supposedly out of earshot of their pals for fear of getting a ribbing for showing any sign of weakness. I came to the conclusion that yes, there is obviously some genetic lottery going on but the real grafters of this world usually paid the highest price the older they got. I feel it was another contributory factor in my change of direction I life as I hope to be like a spring chicken if I ever get to retire. :okay:
One of my table tennis mates was a semi-pro footballer in his youth and apart from the table tennis, is a regular golfer to keep himself fit, but he did his back in, lifting his bag of golf sticks into the buggy!

Slick

Guru
One of my table tennis mates was a semi-pro footballer in his youth and apart from the table tennis, is a regular golfer to keep himself fit, but he did his back in, lifting his bag of golf sticks into the buggy!
I dislocated 3 ribs once doing something similar. :laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm 65 and option 1. I have stretched from time to time but couldn't claim it's regular.

Had a heart attack four years ago and a brain haemorrhage last January. They kept me off the bike for a while. :laugh:

I've retired and in the best shape I've been in 25+ years.

Top Bottom