Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have periods where I can not cycle due to pain

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Pain severely limits my cycling

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Pain has forced me to give up cycling

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Age 69 and no pain to report. No arthritis, no back ache, nothing, only tired legs after a ride but I guess this is quite normal.

49 and mostly OK, some issues with my meniscus (one removed fully, one removed partially) but cycling helps that a lot. Lower back twinges if i ride too much (too many consecutive days) and this last 6 months my sit bones have been giving me some grief but i reckon that i don't fit my saddle so i either need to get a new ar$e or change the saddle it seems.

Keep thinking about Yoga for increasing flexibility and helping me maintain a lower position for longer periods, just need to work on my fat belly to be able to breath first.....

johnblack

Über Member
My right piriformis and gluteus medius are a constant source of discomfort, annoying rather than really painful. Rotator and radial cuffs on both sides are another uncomfortable issue. Doesn't stop me doing any cycling but I can only imagine that they'll get worse in time.

All uphill

Still rolling along
65 now and listening to my body a bit better. It took me ages to get comfortable on the bike when I started cycling longer distances (50 to 60 miles) 3 years ago. I went through lots of eating regimens, clothing, saddles and especially handlebars and grips.

I don't go for maximum speed, but for endurance. Regular stops and lots of liquid works for me.

Flakey

56 and cycle or run (or both) for about 40 years. Honestly can't remember the last time I didn't have aches or twinges.
Noticed over last couple of years that niggles and full blown injuries are happening more frequently and taking longer to heal.
Also starting to notice a significant drop off in form.

i had a bad run of injury to my right knee, then some achilles pain, right leg again. i stopped cycling then gradually got back on the bike
that's going back a few years now, knee is a lot better but i'm still cautious. i dont cycle huge miles anymore and if i feel a twinge or an injury coming on i step back or stop all together, too easy to do permanent damage. could just be genetics as some have said, some folk just seem to go on forever with no bother :bicycle: i'm happy enough with where i'm at, it's keeping me fit. considering joining a club again but i'll need to be careful, stick with the slower paced groups :ohmy::okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
We had a teenager on our ride last night. It was noticable how unfit he was going up the hills where 60 year olds would leave him in the dust. I worry that the post millenial generation are not growing up with habits and routines that keep them fit and well as long as possible throughout life.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm 68 and life getting in the way is whats most likely to restrict my cycling, my Good Lady has health problems and I need to fit my cycling around looking after her. On the pain front I've had mild back pain for years and I'm now getting mild hip pain as well, but so far its not affecting my cycling.

Last edited by a moderator:

figbat

Slippery scientist
48 and pretty much able to have a go at most things. No physical or medical conditions as such, but do pick up the odd muscular twinge or joint pain every now and then, usually treated by resting. I have used an osteopath for any stubborn back pains that I can't shift by stretching and for the one cycling-generated injury that I have sustained, that being tendonitis in a knee caused by a saddle being a few mm too high. I consider myself to be generally healthy and of moderate fitness, although have always had limited flexibility (never been able to touch my toes easily, even as a kid).

We had a teenager on our ride last night. It was noticable how unfit he was going up the hills where 60 year olds would leave him in the dust. I worry that the post millenial generation are not growing up with habits and routines that keep them fit and well as long as possible throughout life.
It's not his fault that he's been driven everywhere all his life.
The days of kids exploring the world on their own is gone, and it wasn't them who made it this way. Give him time and encouragement.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The days of kids exploring the world on their own is gone, and it wasn't them who made it this way. Give him time and encouragement.

How very true.

I despair of my grandchildren, or, I suppose, I should say, their parents.

Some years ago, oldest Granddaughter, then 18, was all set to fly to Paris, to meet up with her mother, who was already there. Not really a big adventure, Metro from her home (well 300 yards away), into Newcastle Airport, direct flight to Paris. A nice little "adventure" for her, IMHO, other family members insisted on driving her to the airport.

Most recent example, 19 year old granddaughter "going out" to Town (about 1 miles from her home, along urban well lit streets). Planning to return home at 22:00. Mother insisted on driving(?) into town to pick her up.

postman

Legendary Member
70 in Feb,last year was the worst year ever,forget the year they found my prostate problem.2019 i was fit as i am now.But time was not available for one thing and another.The two tyres i was bought for Xmas hardly got used.2020 i intend to go all out putting me and my needs first.And that means cycling more.

pawl

Legendary Member
78.79 ln Feb Few aches in shoulder from broken collar bone sustained three years ago,didn’t heal properly.

Right knee bit dodgy.Knee support and Ibuprofen gel helps.Good for 50 smile’s Walking is more of a problem than cycling.Can still average 13 to 14 MPH.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I despair of my grandchildren, or, I suppose, I should say, their parents.

Some years ago, oldest Granddaughter, then 18, was all set to fly to Paris, to meet up with her mother, who was already there. Not really a big adventure, Metro from her home (well 300 yards away), into Newcastle Airport, direct flight to Paris. A nice little "adventure" for her, IMHO, other family members insisted on driving her to the airport.

Most recent example, 19 year old granddaughter "going out" to Town (about 1 miles from her home, along urban well lit streets). Planning to return home at 22:00. Mother insisted on driving(?) into town to pick her up.
Yep!

Here's an example that gobsmacked me a few years back...
Man in car, anxiously: "So, the only car park is here, and Hardcastle Crags visitor centre is a mile that way...?"

Me astride MTB, cheerfully: "Yes, there is a lovely walk to it through the woods, down by the river, just take that footpath."

Man in car, angrily: "Yeah, right, and just how am I bloody well supposed to get my kids there and back - he's 10 years old and she is only 8!"
:wacko: :banghead:

Top Bottom