Cycling when plastered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes anyway.

We were planning to go on a tour through Belgium the week after next. Nothing too serious, nice and flat, 70 or 80 km a day. Trouble is, I broke a bone in my foot on Friday evening. Next week, I should have a new cast put on my leg so that I can walk without crutches.

The inevitable question is, will I be able to cycle?

If you can flex your ankle and put some pressure through the ball of your foot onto the pedal without any pain you should be OK; but I don't think it'll have mended sufficiently for that kind of trip.
You'll put the fracture under a fair amount of stress, which would exacerbate the injury and probably slow the healing process.
Hasn't one of your mates got a tandem? Or a support car to follow in?
Hope it works out, though!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I broke my leg in January so sympathise lots. I was back on my bike a month after the accident, but locked into a turbo and cycling very gently. I'd be nervous of cycling on the road so soon - if you had to grind to a halt quickly and put your foot down to save you, the pain and damage could be pretty hideous!!!

OP
OP
Haitch

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Thanks, everyone. So the general consensus is to stay at home with my feet up. I know that's the sensible thing to do but got-to-get-fit's solution is very tempting ...

buggi

Bird Saviour
got-to-get-fit said:
When you get the new cast on why not ask the doctor to plaster your cleat into the cast? then you can simply clip your cast into the pedal.

this idea is the coolest! but probably not the most sensible. stay at home and get plastered instead (in both senses of the word)

Top Bottom