Cycling with a disabled child

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
My son is 13. He has Autism as well as dyspraxia and a medical condition called CVS (this one doesn't affect his cycling but if he gets stressed it can bring on an episode).
The issue is really his lack of confidence. He only learned to ride a bike last year.

When on holiday a couple of weeks back I took my MTB with me and hired him one.
He did really well on the wide paths, but anything else he was a nightmare! He wouldn't go up or down hills, on roads or trails in the woods.
He wobbled a lot and panicked, and spent most of his time cycling around the caravan park.

I tried again today, taking him with me and my older son, for a short ride to the local reservoir, about ½ a mile from the house.
He walked down the hill from the house...he wobbled his way through the supermarket car park then walked down the street. We got to the start point of the woods and he freaked out and had a total meltdown.
I had to walk him home, crying. He just kept saying that he's scared of falling off :sad:

What can I do? I've tried everything I can think of.
I even thought about a trike or something, but are they expensive.
I want him to enjoy cycling and gain confidence on his bike but he's really struggling.
Ideas?

AndyRM

XOXO
No personal advice, but these seem to be well thought of - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adult-Bike-Stabilisers-Fit-Wheels/dp/B0082A6SYC

Considerably cheaper than a trike as well.

Good luck!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hey SL. The bottom line is Josh may not want to cycle. I know you would like him to but perhaps it really isnt for him. Maybe you will just have to do nothing. Leave him to it. Maybe take him for a walk along the route a few times. Maybe if he does that, it will give him the confidence to ride his bike along the route.

Apart from that, there isn't much you can do is there? Have you asked him if he wants to ride a bike?

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hey SL. The bottom line is Josh may not want to cycle. I know you would like him to but perhaps it really isnt for him. Maybe you will just have to do nothing. Leave him to it. Maybe take him for a walk along the route a few times. Maybe if he does that, it will give him the confidence to ride his bike along the route.

Apart from that, there isn't much you can do is there? Have you asked him if he wants to ride a bike?
He does want to ride a bike and sees us going out and wants to come, or asks me to take him out.

Cold

With my son who has a physical disability and was also terrified of falling off every time he mentioned falling I never said anything when he did eventually fall off all I said was see it wasn't so bad and he has never mentioned it again.
Everyday we went out and did something different braking, turning and so on he is still shaky but getting better every week.
As your son was happy to cycle around the caravan park which I am guessing was flat then maybe going somewhere flat is a good place and try and build his confidence then introduce small lumps and roads.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Maybe if he had his own bike and kit you could keep doing the rides he likes until he gains more confidence. Get him a helmet and elbow pads for when he's on his own mtb.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A little at a time. At first my daughter wouldn't ride down our hill, but they will eventually get it. Maybe more riding on open spaces, then try the track again.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
He does want to ride a bike and sees us going out and wants to come, or asks me to take him out.

At least he wants to go. Andy had a good idea about the stabilisers? They might make him feel more secure. Worth a go anyway.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
A little at a time. At first my daughter wouldn't ride down our hill, but they will eventually get it. Maybe more riding on open spaces, then try the track again.
Yes...he looked pretty confident going around a circuit on a large, wide paved area. Still wobbled but didn't freak out.
It may be that he never really gets into it, I've found that there's things he wants to do at the time, but has no real interest in.
Cycling maybe one of those things - I just want him to be happy in whatever he wants to do.
If it continues to cause him stress then we'll have to try something else.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi ScotiaLass - I was at a farm where disabled adults live today - my friend works there - and saw one of these:

http://bikeclub.org.uk/category/southend-on-sea/

Too unwieldy for "proper cycling" but it made me think, and I remembered these people: http://www.wheelsforwellbeing.org.uk/about-us. These guys are in the south but I wonder if there is anyone doing this up your way? It might be worth ringing them or doing some further googling. They specifically say they help with both physical and mental barriers to cycling. You might be able to improve your son's confidence this way and it may support his cycling on a regular bike.

Just a thought, I'm no expert!

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Take him on a day out in Glasgow at Freewheel North, they specialize in cycling with different ability groups.
He could have supervised fun on the track on a specially adapted bike, while you could go on a short led ride, or around the park - diffuses the tension of having Mum there while trying to learn ;)
You don't need to bring your bike, you can borrow one of theirs.
It only costs a pound for the day.
Led rides leave on a Tuesday at 10.30 or on a Friday at 10.
Contact them first if you want to borrow a bike.
Freewheel North is open every day during the summer (apart from Saturdays) from 10.30 to late afternoon, supposed to be till 2.30 but if the weather is good they stay open longer.

Top Bottom