Cycling with arthritis of the hip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Worth trying glucosamine, Calcium, vitamin d and cod liver oil tablets, can't do any harm.

Glucosamine works for some folk - if it does, get it on-line as it's cheaper (from Jersey). Takes a few months apparently for you to feel the benefit.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Yeah and the pain of pushing myself hard eclipse the pain of the hip during a ride.... Just not when I'm not riding :sad:

Whatever you do, listen to your body. Discomfort is one thing, pain is another. The former is part of training whereas the later is a sign that you may be doing more damage (which will eventually catch up with you). It's easy to say, but hard to do (I speak from experience), but going balls out all the time is not a formula for success.

And as Fossyant wrote, give glucosamine a shot...

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Worth trying glucosamine, Calcium, vitamin d and cod liver oil tablets, can't do any harm.

Glucosamine works for some folk - if it does, get it on-line as it's cheaper (from Jersey). Takes a few months apparently for you to feel the benefit.

Thanks dude I'll check it out

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Xrays ate back and totally clear

Really confused as to why on some days I can't put any weight on one or both legs when walking due to pain in the hip area

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Xrays ate back and totally clear
That sounds like good news Gaz!
Really confused as to why on some days I can't put any weight on one or both legs when walking due to pain in the hip area
Ah, now that is sounding very similar to a problem that my ex suffers from ...

A few days after overdoing a stretch, she suddenly suffered 'hip pain' so bad that she had to crawl across the floor to the phone to summon help. It took months and many visits to the doctor before a referral to a physiotherapist came up with the answer. The pain was experienced in the hip area but it was actually being caused by damage to the Psoas muscle causing extremely painful spasms - read this.

Obviously you should still seek professional advice, but that information might give you a head start and save you the kind of delays that my ex had to suffer! She now has some exercises to do to keep her pain-free. (I imagine that she is doing them today because the problem flared up again yesterday when she carried a heavy armchair upstairs without help!) It wouldn't hurt you to try some of those exercises and see if they help.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
That sounds like good news Gaz!

Ah, now that is sounding very similar to a problem that my ex suffers from ...

A few days after overdoing a stretch, she suddenly suffered 'hip pain' so bad that she had to crawl across the floor to the phone to summon help. It took months and many visits to the doctor before a referral to a physiotherapist came up with the answer. The pain was experienced in the hip area but it was actually being caused by damage to the Psoas muscle causing extremely painful spasms - read this.

Obviously you should still seek professional advice, but that information might give you a head start and save you the kind of delays that my ex had to suffer! She now has some exercises to do to keep her pain-free. (I imagine that she is doing them today because the problem flared up again yesterday when she carried a heavy armchair upstairs without help!) It wouldn't hurt you to try some of those exercises and see if they help.

That really does strike a chord mate. Thanks so much. Seeiodoc next week. Let's see where we go from here

petersull

I have arthritis in both hips and lower back. OK when I cycle I do get discomfort but not so much pain. I can't go up 10 stairs without having to stop, and the same with walking up a hill.

postman

Legendary Member
From one who was put on light duties at work,via the Consultant at Leeds Gen Infirmary.Yes you can,That was back in 2003.Still going strong,but slow.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
My increasing hip pain was eventually diagnosed (MRI) as being due to a tear in the labrum, the cartilage lining the hip socket. Every pedal stroke was irritating it. I had some age related arthritis in the hips anyway, but until a year or two ago cycling was a much more pain free activity than walking. I now have a nice new ceramic and plastic hip joint, just over 10 weeks in and I'm back on the bike again:okay:.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have one replaced hip due to arthritis and the other one is going the same way.

Riding the bike is no problem, but getting on and off is a bit awkward due to restricted movement.

In the last few weeks before the replacement, the only bike I could get on was my Brompton, and even that was only with it lying down.

Top Bottom