Cycling with arthritis of the hip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I got arthritis myself in both my legs and has done 800 miles so far this year. So yes, it can be done and I have had no ill effects of it. It is actually far easier to do long bikerides than walk 1-2 miles. The reason is that the body is being supported by the bike instead of the legs.

And yes, bike riding has done me and my health a lot of good. If I had given up bikeriding, my life would had been a lot more painful. So get on a bike and do a lot of bikeriding. It will improve both your health and your life.

Btw as you can see on my picture, I am some stones overweight. 7 stones, to be precise. So I am in the same boat as you, gb155.

Thanks for sharing but I don't think I can be described as 7stone overwight anymore ;)

avsd

Guru
Gaz - given what you have already done with your life cycling with arthritis will be straightforward. I have had hip issues for quite a few years and cycling helps alot. As others have said low gear. The other advice I would give is DON'T FALL OFF but if you do just get back on. Best Wishes :thumbsup:

toroddf

Seems like I have created confusion here at the same time as I have become confused too. I meant gb155 as I have lost some stones too after taking up serious bikeriding after a slump in 2003-04 where I reached 30 stones. Now, I am down to 20 and have around 7 to go before I reach what NHS has said is my normal weight (I disagree... 5 stones will be enough). Hence my boat remark.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Gaz - given what you have already done with your life cycling with arthritis will be straightforward. I have had hip issues for quite a few years and cycling helps alot. As others have said low gear. The other advice I would give is DON'T FALL OFF but if you do just get back on. Best Wishes :thumbsup:

Falling off is something I do pretty well lol

toroddf

Back on the bike for 3/4days this week and already can feel an improvement on pain

Don't forget that the brain also produce it's own painkiller during bikeriding which is very effective against arthritis. For me; bikeriding is far better than having a pity-little-me in my bed. And that goes against all our instincts. But that is the solution.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't forget that the brain also produce it's own painkiller during bikeriding which is very effective against arthritis. For me; bikeriding is far better than having a pity-little-me in my bed. And that goes against all our instincts. But that is the solution.

This is very true. My shoulder is bad when I relax, but it's fine riding as everything else hurts more.

Top Bottom