Cycling with arthritis of the hip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
Generally yes. In fact cycling is very good for arthritis as it moves the hip through a reasonable range without weight bearing. if I don't cycle for a week or so my hips stiffen up and start to hurt but once back on my bike all the pain and stiffness quickly go away.

I would just make the proviso that what works for one person may not be the same for another!

albion

Guru
I find it far far better than walking for arthritis.
Always spin and keep those extra energy bursts for special occasions.

I notice that pain killing effect on longer rides so my rule here is that if it feels too comfortable I make sure I concentrate on my spinning even more.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Exercise is generally very good for arthritis. Cycling and swimming and other non impact sport are very good. Also the stronger the muscles around the affected joint, the 'easier' the condition becomes pain wise.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have some osteoarthritis in both hips and I also have a varicose vein in the top of my right leg. Until recently I have been able to get along okay by limiting the range of movement of my legs - I'll never deliberately do the splits again, and I have to be careful getting on and off the bike! I always aim to use low gears on my bike and spin. I had to give up running - I never ran huge distances but I did like to go for a 3 or 4 mile trot over the local hills now and then.

I also have to try and reduce pressure on the vein, which was partly caused by doing a long ride with excessively tight leg warmers on.

Always spin and keep those extra energy bursts for special occasions.
I was getting on nicely just spinning away, but on the last two forum rides sudden sprints did for me. I got a rush of blood to the head and pushed a bit too hard. This led to excruciating pain in the area of my right hip in the latter stages of the rides. I don't know if it was the joint or the vein or maybe a combination of the two. All I know is that I need to be more careful or I'll be needing surgery on the hip and/or vein sooner rather than later!

Gaz - my answer to your question is a cautious 'yes', but you've got to hold yourself back a bit. You could have the strongest muscles in the world but they wouldn't be much use if the bones and joints they are powering were falling apart!

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I have some osteoarthritis in both hips and I also have a varicose vein in the top of my right leg. Until recently I have been able to get along okay by limiting the range of movement of my legs - I'll never deliberately do the splits again, and I have to be careful getting on and off the bike! I always aim to use low gears on my bike and spin. I had to give up running - I never ran huge distances but I did like to go for a 3 or 4 mile trot over the local hills now and then.

I also have to try and reduce pressure on the vein, which was partly caused by doing a long ride with excessively tight leg warmers on.

I was getting on nicely just spinning away, but on the last two forum rides sudden sprints did for me. I got a rush of blood to the head and pushed a bit too hard. This led to excruciating pain in the area of my right hip in the latter stages of the rides. I don't know if it was the joint or the vein or maybe a combination of the two. All I know is that I need to be more careful or I'll be needing surgery on the hip and/or vein sooner rather than later!

Gaz - my answer to your question is a cautious 'yes', but you've got to hold yourself back a bit. You could have the strongest muscles in the world but they wouldn't be much use if the bones and joints they are powering were falling apart!

Thanks Colin/All

It's not yet confirmed but its not looking like I can dodge this one TBH

Was sh1tt1ng bricks that I'd be off the bike. So lets await the X-Ray results and take it from there

The damage was done when I was 40 stone , now its coming back to bite me in the a$$

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just to add, I assume that riding single speed / fixed wouldn't be a good idea from now on ?

Makes no difference.

More bike riding would be good ! :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The damage was done when I was 40 stone , now its coming back to bite me in the a$$
I can really feel the strain that being 16 stone is putting on me, so I can only imagine what being 40 stone did to you!

I hope that the outcome for you is good. As for me - I think I need to learn from your fine example, get stuck in and shed 25% of my bodyweight!

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I can really feel the strain that being 16 stone is putting on me, so I can only imagine what being 40 stone did to you!

I hope that the outcome for you is good. As for me - I think I need to learn from your fine example, get stuck in and shed 25% of my bodyweight!

Seems you and I have a lot in common

Must arrange a ride together this summer

toroddf

I got arthritis myself in both my legs and has done 800 miles so far this year. So yes, it can be done and I have had no ill effects of it. It is actually far easier to do long bikerides than walk 1-2 miles. The reason is that the body is being supported by the bike instead of the legs.

And yes, bike riding has done me and my health a lot of good. If I had given up bikeriding, my life would had been a lot more painful. So get on a bike and do a lot of bikeriding. It will improve both your health and your life.

Btw as you can see on my picture, I am some stones overweight. 7 stones, to be precise. So I am in the same boat as you, gb155.

Top Bottom