cycling with chronic medical conditions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i have 3 chronic medical conditions and i find it hard to motivate myself to go out for a bike ride, i am constantly tired and feel fatigued which doesn't help. so does anyone have any tips to help me with this.

Ask yourself how you feel whilst on the bike and afterwards (and yes I know what it feels like, I have more than 3 chronic conditions which need careful handling...). I know I feel better for being out and about even if I am in bed by 9pm each night and some days I have to just write off completely.

I also make commitments which forces me out on the bike. It helps to keep me going.

MrWill

Why not find something more fun and motivating to do then?

I've got chronic wrist issues, so am getting rid of my cycling stuff and using the money for something else. Makes sense?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Here's a thought ....
Recently I gave up 'Big' Carbs as a trial diet. A brief experiment.
Stopped taking any forms of free sugar (except Fruit), gave-up Bread, Pasta, Meusli, Cereals, Rice, Noodles, Potato. Apart from a notable decrease in weight one of the very first side effects was that I felt less tired and more 'alert'. Other positive side effects have been, less bloatyness, less gas and less palpitations. It doesn't seem to have effected my energy levels and I feel less hungry.
If I could reduce my alcohol consumption I'd also fee, more energetic and alert too ... but sometime's the soul needs feeding.
I also take beta-blockers which make me feel lethargic.

But, if you have a lot of free sugar and big carbs, try a decrease/removal. replace with good protein and more fruit and especially vegetables and beans.. You'llm feel crap for a few days but after that you might feel better.
You may wish to discuss this with your Doctor in case it screws anything else up.

Also ... get a riding buddy(s).

Partially depends whats wrong with you are and how you feel during / after a ride. As SNSSO says, having a commitment to make and forcing yourself to do it on your bike is a good way to keep it a regular part of your life. I'm commuting a 25 mile round trip ~3 times a week and can just about manage that, although I do feel a bit of a fraud not doing more. If there is stuff wrong with you, you have to take it seriously, but generally keeping active is a good thing.

byegad

Legendary Member

I've got chronic wrist issues, so am getting rid of my cycling stuff and using the money for something else. Makes sense?
That or go recumbent. No weight on your wrists and I used to ride my recumbent bike with only one little finger on the bars. On my trikes I use very little steering input so no load on my wrists on them either.

albion

Guru

I got severe wrist problems when getting back on a road bike, problems that never really surfaced on the flat bar bike.
I also notice that some professional cyclists gloves that add support to the wrist..

I also have a chronic wrist issue and yes it did force me off the bike for 7 years (didn't know about recumbents then), but there are ways and means of dealing with most of my wrist issues (mine was dislocating 20-30 times a day and I was living in chronic pain due to nerve damage, dislocation and some of the bones are dead as well - the dislocating is now thankfully resolved though my other wrist now dislocates 5 or so times a day, but I can cope with that)).

So my thoughts are; are you also giving up driving? My wrist issues affected my driving as well, not to mention swimming and normal day to day activities - I had to quit on my chosen career path and re-train. I have spent over half my life (and I don't mean half my adult life) with my wrist in a permanent non-flexing support. I still ride and I still need that support from time to time even now - it has only been out of support for the last 4 years. I don't for one minute doubt that I will at some point have to give up my road bike use, I have also had to give up any hope of ever driving a manual car again (though I don't need the steering ball anymore) and have had to give up things such as the ironing, washing of dishes and have had to learn to write with my right hand. I also have to accept that I am not as physically strong as others, and often have to get cashiers or shop keepers to open bottles for me when I purchase them.

I don't know what the wrist issues you have are, so I can't comment on whether giving up is the best option, but it does (from my personal point of view) seem rather like quitting rather than fighting but I also don't know how much you enjoyed cycling previously. I know I am not ready to quit fighting to do something I enjoy, even if motivation at the moment is rather hard to find.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn Clicked like, not because of your problems, but because of your determination to overcome them and keep going. :thumbsup: Well done and hope you have loads of cycling years still ahead of you.
that pack of dogs found out the hard way that I am a bit of a fighter. Can't and don't want to give up yet!

classic33

Leg End Member
Epilepsy & cancer. The treatment for the first may have permanently damged both the liver & kidneys. Until such time as I'm not able t turn the pedals, I'll be out on either two of four wheels.
At the moment just waiting on the vision clearing up. I'd be a danger on the road if I go out.

One of my conditions is that I don't produce anywhere near enough cortisol naturally which is adrenal insufficiency (symptoms include: hypoglycaemia, dehydration, weight loss, and disorientation and may also include weakness, tiredness, dizziness, low blood pressure that falls further when standing (orthostatic hypotension), cardiovascular collapse, muscle aches, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea.) I can tick way too many of those symptoms. Luckily in my case, the cause is known/assumed to be known - I am a severe asthmatic with a very high dependency of inhaled steroids to manage my asthma, nothing else really works, so 9 sets of meds and a nebuliser (and I have several chronic complications not least of all a major dairy allergy which limits treatment options for everything and long term damage to both my throat and lungs due to constant coughing (a rare form of tracheomalacia and bronchiectasis to just add to the fun)). I also find it difficult to put muscle on.

What I am saying is that you need to know your conditions and cycle within it. It is that simple.

Set yourself realistic targets/goals and only very slowly increase them. If you are too tired that day, you have to accept it and work out how to avoid it happening too often. It's not easy - I have little social life (not that that actually bothers me) knowing I have to be in bed by 9pm otherwise the next day does not happen. I don't work, I am still working on working out how to do that but I am fit enough to stay out of hospital and can manage my conditions myself without too much intervention or needing to visit the hospital or Dr's - somewhere I prefer to avoid because I always come back with a bug just from being around ill people. My lungs and immune system just don't cope well with the dr's surgery or hospitals!

For me managing my conditions means forgetting how quickly or otherwise I'm going (which is far more likely), forgetting "racing", not caring about people overtaking me, just getting there at a speed I can manage and know I will be able to function when I arrive at the other end. I now do a 22 mile (domestic) commute each way 2-3 times a week now, but it took me a while to build up to that. I am fortunate to have the support of both my severe asthma consultant and one of my GP's. My endocrinologist is less keen on my cycling but acknowledges that my other health issues would hospitalise me permanently if I didn't stay fit. Roughly 1 day in 7 is a write off for me, and my endocrinologist told me last week that that is actually very good. I am still trying to get my head around that!

My conditions also mean I don't 'travel light'. I always have to have food available, including something with high sugar and something that can deal with adrenal crisis - I can't always balance potassium and sodium in my blood stream, something that can be fatal very quickly. I have to take into account that I may need to get warm fast (so always have extra clothing available) and have to avoid getting soaked to the skin - good waterproofs are useful here - rather than just avoiding cycling in the rain. I also wear medic alert bracelet and have a card in my wallet so that if I am found unconscious I can be treated, but am much better at managing things now, and am not afraid to stop cycling and eat even if I am only 30 minutes into a ride, if my body tells me I need it. You will (if you have not already) need to learn to pick up on these signs. As for motivation, cycling buddies help, commitments help but for me the knowledge that I will (and have been) bed bound/house bound keeps me going.

So what motivates you normally? Do goals work, targets work, rewards? Do you have friends that can come out with you or you can arrange to go over and visit and cycle there?

Top Bottom