Cycling with headphones/ipods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
I seem to be one of these minority of cyclist who wear headphones while riding. In fact i've just packed mine away after using them on my commute this morning. I find it helps me to focus on my rhythm and cadance, especially when climbing.

Now I'm not going to start stating that wearing them makes my hearing clearer as a previous poster on a different thread tried to argue once, it certainly doesn't for me (something to do with reduced wind noise (I actually find wind noise is slightly increased with my particular brand of headphone)). I will happily agree that wearing them will fractionally impair my ability to hear as clearly as I would if I wasn't wearing them. However, I know that my cycling is not impaired by their use.

I don't allow the music, or radio to block any other sounds and if I thought I was placing myself or any other road users at an increased by my use of them then I wouldn't wear them. I often listen to podcasts - if you're riding along two abreast do you insist on making your buddy shut up because he's drowning out your ability to hear any tractors that might approach from behind?

Getting on a bike in traffic will always be a risk, and all cyclists are entitled to take whatever precautions they deem necessary. It's a personal choice, and no one in this forum has the right to state that anyone else is an idiot or equivilent for choosing to ride in any particular manner. If wearing headphones safely gets more people out of their tin box cars and onto their bikes then fantastic.

After one ride with headphones you'll know whether you are confident enough to wear them regularly or whether you feel that for you, the wearing of them is a risk.

tyred

Legendary Member
Surely there is a marketing oppurtunity here. Car radios have been around since the days of valve radios. Has anyone ever marketed a specific bike radio?

One of the funniest things I've seen is an old Raleigh a friend bought to restore that had an old transistor radio taped underneath the crossbar and powered from the Sturmey dynohub. It worked too.

pshore

Some of those in the no-headphone camp have mentioned mirrors. Are you all using them ? Because it would seem odd to NOT use a mirror for a similar reason - using as many senses as possible.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Some of those in the no-headphone camp have mentioned mirrors. Are you all using them ? Because it would seem odd to NOT use a mirror for a similar reason - using as many senses as possible.

The only camp I am in is the common sense camp. Do you use a mirror and wear headphones ? If so would you not say that is risk compensating ?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I have some attached to my headphones.

:tongue:

martynjc1977

Veteran
24 years of cycling on the roads and listening to music, i have my mp3 player with me at all times, on the bike and off it.

Top Bottom