Cycling with headphones/ipods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is there a safe way of doing this?

I'm easily distracted so anything that makes my mind/concentration wander is a danger, but I also like to be able to listen out for vehicles coming up behind me. Am I just scatter brained?

kenuk1

My opinion is that it's lethal, even off road for concentration but on road, you're asking for trouble. Don't see any safe ways at all.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've always considered this dangerous without actually trying it myself but in reality, I can hear very little apart from wind noise once I go much above about 15mph.

kenuk1

If the original question was asking about deaf cyclists I wouldnt have answered as I don't know how they manage so can't really comment, but for anyone without any hearing issues, why reduce it further whilst on ya bike when you need to be alert to your surroundings? And any tw4t of a bus driver who likes to get close to you! Thanks Arriva for this morning btw!

I would love to do this, but recognise the increase in danger - so I dont (even though i'm often tempted).

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As well as losing one's ability to hear traffic, I can't envisage the listener being able to hear anything with wind noise.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Is there a safe way of doing this?

I'm easily distracted so anything that makes my mind/concentration wander is a danger, but I also like to be able to listen out for vehicles coming up behind me. Am I just scatter brained?

May I congratulate you on starting a thread which will go at least 10 pages as this subject is one of the ones which gets a lot of heated debate and will end in petty squabbling.

my 2 pennies worth, imho anyone who makes an effort to hinder one of their basic senses is an idiot. :boxing:

There that should start things off

kenuk1

May I congratulate you on starting a thread which will go at least 10 pages as this subject is one of the ones which gets a lot of heated debate and will end in petty squabbling.

my 2 pennies worth, imho anyone who makes an effort to hinder one of their basic senses is an idiot. :boxing:

There that should start things off

End of Thread lol

corshamjim

A handlebar-mounted radio or player would be ok - so long as there are no other cyclists/pedestrians around who might not share your taste in music. The only cycle-specific one I'm aware of is this one. http://www1.conrad-uk.com/scripts/w...=841414&no_brotkrumennavi=1&zhmmh_area_kz=LN#

I have one - reception is pretty poor except for the most local stations. There's an aux socket for an mp3 player which I haven't tried.

Using headphones while riding is (in my not at all humble opinion) plain stupid.

Top Bottom