Cycling with headphones/ipods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
Just have one earphone in mate that's what I do

You are Vincent Van Gogh and I claim my £10.

BSRU

A Human Being
new toy with bated breath :smile: :rofl:

Your prize has been upgraded to a hi-viz helmet fitted with daylight running lights plus surround sound speakers with a head up display to allow you to watch you favourite movies or play your favourite games while on the move.

All you need to do is forward a $100 administrative handling fee to my bank account located in Nigeria,:tongue:, and it will be dispatched the same day.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Fantastic I'll get right on it. BTW are you related to the Nigerian Prince for whom I am handling a funds transfer for? :tongue:
Your prize has been upgraded to a hi-viz helmet fitted with daylight running lights plus surround sound speakers with a head up display to allow you to watch you favourite movies or play your favourite games while on the move.

All you need to do is forward a $100 administrative handling fee to my bank account located in Nigeria,:tongue:, and it will be dispatched the same day.

Learnt something new this morning: headphones can protect you from left hooks!

(I got into a shouting match with a driver who overtook me and then immediately turned left - usual thing. It was a big yellow van, and it was in front of me, so hearing was not a factor. Afterwards a fellow cyclist asked me what it was about and commiserated with me, then asked me if I was wearing head phones at the time - they were draped around my neck - and then gave me a smug little lecture, pointing to his ears and saying "these are my mirrors". Remember, the incident happened in front of me. I challenge anyone to tell that the car following is about to overtake and left hook you based on the engine noise.

I hope it wasn't anyone here. Reminds me of the stories I read here about emergency room doctors asking if you were wearing a helmet when you come in with a leg injury)

BSRU

A Human Being
Learnt something new this morning: headphones can protect you from left hooks!

(I got into a shouting match with a driver who overtook me and then immediately turned left - usual thing. It was a big yellow van, and it was in front of me, so hearing was not a factor. Afterwards a fellow cyclist asked me what it was about and commiserated with me, then asked me if I was wearing head phones at the time - they were draped around my neck - and then gave me a smug little lecture, pointing to his ears and saying "these are my mirrors". Remember, the incident happened in front of me. I challenge anyone to tell that the car following is about to overtake and left hook you based on the engine noise.

I hope it wasn't anyone here. Reminds me of the stories I read here about emergency room doctors asking if you were wearing a helmet when you come in with a leg injury)

The other cyclist was out of order for assuming something just because of your headphones.

You can sometimes hear a car preparing for a left hook, that sudden loud revving sound from behind as you approach a left turn is a good time for another look behind and a move across to primary.

The other cyclist was out of order for assuming something just because of your headphones.

You can sometimes hear a car preparing for a left hook, that sudden loud revving sound from behind as you approach a left turn is a good time for another look behind and a move across to primary.

Sometimes accompanied by gear crunching sounds and squealing tyres. (For those without headphones or one headphone of course) :whistle:

The other cyclist was a massive tool for assuming something just because of your headphones.

Edited for accuracy :biggrin:

I might not wear them myself, but I wont assume blame on your part if you are wearing them....

david k

Hi
Is there a safe way of doing this?

I'm easily distracted so anything that makes my mind/concentration wander is a danger, but I also like to be able to listen out for vehicles coming up behind me. Am I just scatter brained?

i find it ok if on low, makes you use your eyes more

u cannot hear much on a motorbike so whats the difference??????????

Norm

u cannot hear much on a motorbike so whats the difference??????????
I think we did this one several times further up.

The difference is that what is behind me on the motorbike is of significantly less importance to my safety and of very little relevance to my planning. I get overtaken by more cars in one cycle-commute than I have been in total since I started riding motorbikes and I've yet to have a lorry or a bus pass me on the motorbike.

I don't listen to music on motorbikes either, although many habits (such as life savers and protective bubbles) from one do transfer to the other.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
That's a great line isn't it, 'makes you use your eyes more'. I never wear headphones and as a result of leaving my ears free I've found that sometimes I don't have to use my eyes at all!

I have been thinking that if you only had an earphone in one ear could you also cycle safely with one eye shut ? Someone needs to do a study ...

Top Bottom