Cycling with headphones/ipods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris.IOW

I'm not being pedantic here...just asking for peoples thoughts....couldn't you be done for riding without due care and attention?!YEs I know you could argue the same about car drivers listening to CD players but we're a cycling forum. Is it feasible? WOuld it stand up in court?

It's an interesting point, but they would have to prove that the listening to music has degraded a persons ability to control the bike surely. This would seem difficult to prove.

I guess it could be tested if a cyclist listening to music caused an accident and this was deemed a contributing factor.

It's an interesting point, but they would have to prove that the listening to music has degraded a persons ability to control the bike surely. This would seem difficult to prove.

I guess it could be tested if a cyclist listening to music caused an accident and this was deemed a contributing factor.
I know there have been studies which would seem to indicate that a persons driving style can be affected by the type of music listened to. From my own experiences I would tend to agree.

Is it too much of a leap to suggest that this could potentially translate to cycling style too?

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm not being pedantic here...just asking for peoples thoughts....couldn't you be done for riding without due care and attention?
If the standard of your riding fell below that expected of a prudent cyclist, yes. But that's the definition of the offence and irrespective of whether you have headphones in - i don't know the cycling specifics here but to be done for the analogous driving offence you would usually have to actually be doing something wrong.

samid

Guru
I have no problem listening to music while driving - but I wouldn't drive listening to music via earphones as they tend to isolate from the surroundings much more. Maybe it's psychological, I dunno. Maybe we need something like "noise-enhancing earphones" for cycling? Could be a cool new product idea :smile:

Norm

YEs I know you could argue the same about car drivers listening to CD players ...
The comparison with listening to music whilst driving is, IMO, of limited relevance because the need to have a constant "image" of potential dangers approaching from the rear is so much smaller in a car.

Chris.IOW

The comparison with listening to music whilst driving is, IMO, of limited relevance because the need to have a constant "image" of potential dangers approaching from the rear is so much smaller in a car.

I disagree entirely, if I'm driving down a motorway what is happening behind me is probably the most important thing, because if somethig happens in front of me, I need to know exactly what my options are to avoid the incident. This information comes from know what is happening behind you.

However having music on in the car, or headphones on my bike don't reduce my ability to take this in, as it's my eyes that obtain that information.

bennydorano

Veteran
I find it very hard not to take my ipod when i go out by myself. I've yet to feel in any danger and i hear pretty much everything that is going on anyway. I'd be in the 15/16mph bracket on an average ride, maybe if I was hurtling along at 20+ I might feel different.

Norm

I disagree entirely, if I'm driving down a motorway what is happening behind me is probably the most important thing, because if somethig happens in front of me, I need to know exactly what my options are to avoid the incident. This information comes from know what is happening behind you.

However having music on in the car, or headphones on my bike don't reduce my ability to take this in, as it's my eyes that obtain that information.
Comparison with motorways is also of limited relevance, unless you cycle on motorways too.

Chris.IOW

Comparison with motorways is also of limited relevance, unless you cycle on motorways too.

I wasn't making a direct comparison with motorways, simply trying to illustrate that as a car driver it is as important to know what is happening behind you as it is for a cyclist and how you asimilate information when driving.

When driving round town it is also important to know what is behind you, if someone is tailgating you, you need to know to leave a greater breaking distance to the car in front for example. Again listening to music does not prohibit this.

I look forward to reading why this is an irrelevant comparison!

Norm

I look forward to reading why this is an irrelevant comparison!
You'll note that I referred to "limited" relevance.

Which means that I think it is relevant in limited circumstances.

You may also note that this is different to "disagreeing entirely".

corshamjim

I'm often grateful for the information my ears or mirror give me about what's coming up behind - in particular anything towing a trailer or caravan wider than the vehicle. :rolleyes: Thankfully trailers tend to have quite a distinctive sound.

Isnt it ironic that someone wears a cycle helmet thats isnt proven to work and then wears headphones to cover their ears that are proven to work in preventing injury\accidents? :biggrin:

Andy j

I wear my head phones when i'm out on my own all the time and don't find they affect my cycling at all. all they do is stop you hearing something coming up behind you as early, but if some ones going to hit you from behind i don't think its going to matter if you've got headphones in or not.

Top Bottom