Cycling with headphones/ipods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Keep it polite, please.
Jezston - I'm looking at you. Stop it.

With the amount of grief I get for chosing to do something that affects no one else?

With the amount of grief I got on the last, and this thread because of it?

My single indignant rage post was supposed to be tongue in cheek and on the level of those who posted similar directed at me.

I'm guessing this deletion and moderator post was from one of the moderators who has disagreed with my views on this in the past and been quite happy to be more than a little impolite towards me over them? On threads where I got singled out for harrangment, I'm now getting singled out for doing it? That's real classy. Real classy.

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
May I congratulate you on starting a thread which will go at least 10 pages as this subject is one of the ones which gets a lot of heated debate and will end in petty squabbling.

my 2 pennies worth, imho anyone who makes an effort to hinder one of their basic senses is an idiot. :boxing:

There that should start things off

BURN THE WITCH.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
My single indignant rage post was supposed to be tongue in cheek and on the level of those who posted similar directed at me..

Thats how I took it and it seemed harsh to remove your post. Maybe if you had stuck one of these :thumbsup: at the end it would have stayed

With the amount of grief I get for chosing to do something that affects no one else?

My single indignant rage post was supposed to be tongue in cheek and on the level of those who posted similar directed at me.

I'm guessing this deletion and moderator post was from one of the moderators who has disagreed with my views on this in the past and been quite happy to be more than a little impolite towards me over them? On threads where I got singled out for harrangment, I'm now getting singled out for doing it? That's real classy. Real classy.

To be fair yours is the only post that that passive-aggresive attitude we (ie people) can display from time to time.....:whistle:

I can understand though if you've had this debate before and go nowhere/abuse but TBH this (like several other topics) are always going to split the herd so to speak. Its one of those where you are never going to persuade me/others to wear headphones, and the flipside is I wont try and persuade you otherwise.

I think it is interesting that those that dont wear them, often do so as they want to enjoy the sounds around them. Much like someone that is listening to something they enjoy in fact :whistle:

On a side not I'm still finding my feet on these forums, and so far have seen only 2 mod comments (inc this one) and neither seemed impolite or singling people out.

Glow worm

Legendary Member

I'm with you on this one J having cycled with earphones for over 30 years. Could it just simply be that we are all programmed to react to sound in different ways? For some of us, listening to music at moderate volume can be a real pleasure, and doesn't in any way inhibit our reactions/ safety. For others, that simply may not be the case. I can't see any problem - live and let live and all that.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
To add my 2 pennies worth, maybe its just me but as long as its not so loud you cant hear anything else at all then I don't see a problem, you should be checking visually before you make any maneuvers anyway. If you are the kind of person who is easily distracted then maybe not, but that just seems common sense. Although people may find it inadvisable, its pure speculation that its extremely dangerous, unless anyone actually has figures.

Off topic... you wouldn't be Matt Inertia would you?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1
If a pedestrian on a shared cycle path stepped out in front of you on your bike because they had their headphones in and didn't hear you coming you'd complain. It would be all their fault - they should have been aware of you etc, etc.... Any of this sounding familar re: motorist v cyclist?!? :biggrin:

bigjim

Legendary Member
I'm still confused as what it is that you are listening for and what you could do about it when you hear it? Does the sound of an approaching vehicle make you change your line etc? The only thing that alters my riding are visual such as parked cars, potholes, buses about to pull out etc. I would look back on these occassions, not rely on my ears. I can't think of anything relating to my hearing that alters my behaviour. A mirror is a really useful tool but again that is a visual aid. By the way I don't use an i pod, mp3 etc.

I've cycled with headphones for years, never had a problem on or off road.

I'd love to know, other to confirm there are cars about (really!), what additional information people gleam from listening to traffic. No one ever makes a maneuver in the road without looking first, so if we use our eyes to check for dangers, what are you listening for?

For example, cycling the small roads of Cornwall I'd often not hear a car come up behind me. So what, what have I missed? They'll overtake when they can and I look back often and so I'll pull over and make room if required.

Cycling in London, traffic everywhere, the noise of traffic is constant and confusing. Again listening to music doesn't affect my ability to check what's around me and whether my way is clear.

Cycling now here in Texas, at least with headphones on I don't get to hear the stream's of abuse from pickup drivers as they pass me.

I do think the claims of increased risk are bogus and just opinions with no facts behind them.

SquareDaff

Über Member
I'm still confused as what it is that you are listening for and what you could do about it when you hear it? Does the sound of an approaching vehicle make you change your line etc? The only thing that alters my riding are visual such as parked cars, potholes, buses about to pull out etc. I would look back on these occassions, not rely on my ears. I can't think of anything relating to my hearing that alters my behaviour. A mirror is a really useful tool but again that is a visual aid. By the way I don't use an i pod, mp3 etc.
Lunch time almost at an end - so just one quick example.

A siren changes my cycling behaviour - it alerts me that a potentially fast moving vehicle that may not be obeying the normal traffic rules may be about. I'll probably hear it a long while before I see it, mirrors or not.

Sure there are other examples.....

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

My commute is mostly rural and usually very quiet. Usually I will take a strong secondary position however if I hear something approaching from behind I may consider altering my road position (not without looking first) depending on what may be approaching whether it be a corner or a car. This maybe taking primary position or if the vehicle behind is a tractor or HGV pulling into a layby to let it pass.

I also carry our frequent over the shoulder (life saver) checks. I do not use my hearing instead of shoulder checks, but as well as.

Lunch time almost at an end - so just one quick example.

A siren changes my cycling behaviour - it alerts me that a potentially fast moving vehicle that may not be obeying the normal traffic rules may be about. I'll probably hear it a long while before I see it, mirrors or not.

Sure there are other examples.....

A siren is a bad example. It's something even us headphone wearing nutters can hear. I'm not sure I can even turn my ipod up loud enough to drown out a siren. It's an anomaly we would all hear and react to.

monkeypony

If a pedestrian on a shared cycle path stepped out in front of you on your bike because they had their headphones in and didn't hear you coming you'd complain. It would be all their fault - they should have been aware of you etc, etc.... Any of this sounding familar re: motorist v cyclist?!? :biggrin:

If a pedestrian stepped out in front of you it would be because they didn't LOOK not because they couldn't hear you.

You should LOOK (walking or cycling) whether you can hear something or not, which actually makes the hearing bit rather redundant

SquareDaff

Über Member
I'd love to know, other to confirm there are cars about (really!), what additional information people gleam from listening to traffic. No one ever makes a maneuver in the road without looking first, so if we use our eyes to check for dangers, what are you listening for?

I do think the claims of increased risk are bogus and just opinions with no facts behind them.
We're each defined by our experiences. For instance - about 5-6 weeks ago I was climbing a hill in a quiet country lane when an idiot approached from behind too quickly. I was about half way around a blind right hander, Due to this idiots speed he assumed he'd just whip past me. Unfortunately a car was coming down the hill in the opposite direction. Cue screeching brakes, skidding in the wet.

I look a lot but the 1st thing that alerted me to this plonkers loss of control was the brake squeal. Cue change of underwear and as much power as I could put through the pedals. He missed me by a couple of inches. Granted it's only my opinion but I reckon if my hearing had been impaired I'd have been laid out on his bonnet. Your hearing works in all directions at once all the time. Unfortunately your eyesight doesn't!

Top Bottom